Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Just released last week by Fresno Media Restorations, who had the foresight to videotape some big 70s arena acts when they rolled through that Grapevine cowtown....

Let's hear it again for anyone who thought this band was "cool"? Just give it 3 minutes....this is very rare footage.

After seeing this, Tommy Shaw can reallllly stop agonizing and apologizing for the ill-conceived "Kilroy Was Here" tour. 

But I will never get tired of his contempt for Dennis DeYoung

• Like 3

Ridiculous band. Never heard a peep about them during the 20+ years I spent in and around Detroit. Even at its worst, Motown was too good for Angel.

Posted (edited)

Angel Meets the Phantom of the Park

Edited by Steve Haynie
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

Tommy Shaw can reallllly stop agonizing and apologizing for the ill-conceived "Kilroy Was Here" tour. 

But I will never get tired of his contempt for Dennis DeYoung

He hasn't apologized yet enough for me.  Only time I went to see them.  Other kids at my school had seen the Paradise Theater tour and raved, and I got this steaming pile for my hard-earned high school dollars.  Fuck me once, shame on you, etc.

But apparently I smartened up enough to never see Angel, or buy their record.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

That’s some funny s*** right there.

I don’t ever remember hearing of them in the midwest. Good thing, they sucked... that’s 10 minutes I’ll never get back. Couldn’t watch any more than that!! 

• Haha 1

If you’ve ever read an interview with punky etc.   you’ll read about how other bands were scared to play with angel.         Who are they?  I want names.    Maybe they were afraid of competing for groupies.  Lol    They kind of remind me of that annoying band from your town that someone connected with them had money  who couldn’t rock their way out of a paper bag.    

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The problem with Angel was that they hit nationwide with big budget costumes and a stage show.  If they worked themselves up to that point it would have been different.  They were set up to be a second KISS automatically.  They were not KISS.  That hurt them.  The music is good for the time period. 

• Like 1

Had the misfortune of seeing them twice. They were a opening act for who I actually wanted to see. And I have to respectfully disagree that their music was good for any time period. Much better off seeing Starz or Sweet around that time period. 

• Like 1

EVH said in an interview he received quite a stern rebuke from Ted Templeman during the recording of VH1. Eddie invited Punky over to play him a rough mix of, “YRGM.” Two weeks later Angel was demoing their OWN (albeit VERY similar to VH’s) version of the song. Templeman screamed, “What the fuck are you doing, asshole? I told you not to play this for anyone!”

• Like 3

Their albums had real promise.  They are proof that you have to record the stuff that you can play convincingly live.  They, obviously, couldn't recreate many of the songs live.

Never misunderstand though; Greg Giuffria is a serious player.  His solo album was good.    

• Like 1

I saw Starz open for Angel last April with Elduave (Len was there too).  We left after the first or second Angel song, and hung out with the Starz guys.  Much more entertaining!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

One of the first corporate sponsorship tours (underwritten by national drycleaning chain)

PicsArt_01-08-10.27.43.jpg

Edited by LefThanDed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Where can I find these Fresno guys ?. See what else they have .

Thanks , Steve

• Like 1

Coolest part of that band was their ambigrammatic logo; looks the same upside down...yes I looked that word up!

Rudy Sarzo was in it at one point.

• Like 1

God were they really that bad?! A buddy won tickets when they came through here in the '70s. I remember the white clown suits and that's about it.  At least pre-'The Stroke' Billy Squire was the opener. He rocked.

• Like 1

To my thirteen year old ears, the studio versions of Don't Leave Me Lonely and their cover of Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore compared favorably to a lot of what was being played on (Mississippi Gulf Coast) radio stations at the time.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DeVai said:

Where can I find these Fresno guys ?. See what else they have .

The restored video of Aerosmith on "Rocks" tour is worth a look. 

Captures them at their most controlled chaotic mojo best. You can smell the drugs from your computer chair.

Also, the Ted Nugent one was cool. That band was on fire back in the day. Young Ted is just mental...entertaining stuff. Arena rock at it's most testosterone fueled.

Early Def Lep with Clark & Willis is there too. Styx on "Pieces of Eight".

If you watch the opening credits to each video, they display a ticket showing who else was on the bill. A lot of cool opening bands I wish they included in the archive.

Would love to see The Godz video among others...

Edited by Ed Rechts
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I saw Starz open for Angel last April with Elduave (Len was there too).  We left after the first or second Angel song, and hung out with the Starz guys.  Much more entertaining!

Never saw Starz, but I got to see Rex with Michael Lee's brother on vocals.  Fantastic.  Ted Nugent mentioned them three or four times during his set asking for "a hand".

• Like 2

Man, that four-and-a-half minute intro is some serious cheese, isn't it? Still, I wish I could have seen Angel back then.

I was a big fan of Angel in the 70s, especially the first three albums. After that the lyrics started getting a little too "boy band-ish" for me, but I bought the albums anyway.  On Earth as It Is in Heaven (produced by Eddie Kramer) is probably my favorite - the snare drum sounds HUGE.

I finally got to see them in 1983 and it was a bit of a disappointment. They sounded okay, if I remember correctly, but it was on a multi-band bill on a small stage in the daytime -- no all-white costumes, no special effects, no lighting.

Angel also appeared in the movie Foxes (1980), starring Jodie Foster, Scott Baio, Sally Kellerman, Randy Quaid, and Cherie Currie (!). I saw it at the drive-in theater when it came out. (Yes, I'm that old.)

@The Shark - Same here! I saw Rex open for Ted Nugent (with Foreigner as the middle act) in Houston in 1977. The whole thing was a great show.

At some point - I'm not sure of the date - Rex did a headlining show at a smaller venue and the opening act was a three-piece band called Liberation. I've never been able to track down any information about Liberation, but I remember two things: they did a cool cover of Elton John's "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" and they had to schlep their own gear.

Rex was cool. Only two albums, but they rocked. After that Rex Smith reinvented himself as a teen idol, had a big hit with the ultra-cheesy "You Take My Breath Away," (not to be confused wit the Queen song of the same name), replaced Andy Gibb on Solid Gold and went into acting.

But back to Angel for a minute. My girlfriend at the time (later wife, now deceased), was a fan along with me (we saw the aforementioned Foxes together). I remember when I showed her my newly purchased Live Without a Net album; she opened the gatefold,  saw a picture of Felix Robinson and literally gasped for breath: "He's so fine!"

Which, considering how many other girls likely had similar reactions,  probably accounts for a good portion of Angel's success.

• Like 1

I made it through the intros and 2 minutes of the music.  Over the years, I've tried to like this band because they the favorite band of one of my best friends and former bandmates and we agree on music 99% of the time.  I just can't warm up to them, and the more I see (like this video) the less I like them.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 1:57 PM, MCChris said:

Ridiculous band. Never heard a peep about them during the 20+ years I spent in and around Detroit. Even at its worst, Motown was too good for Angel.

I remember them from around that time ('78). The Bronx  delinquents I hung with were into them, but they never did it for me.
I believed then as I do now - the best, most creative thing about that band was their logo, which is amazing.

• Like 1