Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, ZR said:

Coolest part of that band was their ambigrammatic logo; looks the same upside down...yes I looked that word up!

Rudy Sarzo was in it at one point.

I think Rudy Sarzo has been in almost every band at some point.

Edited by Stike
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/8/2020 at 12:33 AM, cmatthes said:

I saw Starz open for Angel last April with Elduave (Len was there too).  We left after the first or second Angel song, and hung out with the Starz guys.  Much more entertaining!

Totally agree with Chris ... Starz rocked that night ... very cool down to earth guys ... I actually felt bad for Angel, trying to still live in the past with their ice cream man suits ...

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Len said:

Totally agree with Chris ... Starz rocked that night ... very cool down to earth guys ... I actually felt bad for Angel, trying to still live in the past with their ice cream man suits ...

I laughed at this one, Len!  😆

A case where “Ice Cream Man does NOT rule”...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/7/2020 at 5:45 PM, mrjamiam said:

He hasn't apologized yet enough for me.  Only time I went to see them.  Other kids at my school had seen the Paradise Theater tour and raved, and I got this steaming pile for my hard-earned high school dollars.  Fuck me once, shame on you, etc.

But apparently I smartened up enough to never see Angel, or buy their record.

I saw the Paradise Theater tour and it was really good. 

• Haha 1

Paradise Theater > Kilroy

6 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

I saw the Paradise Theater tour and it was really good. 

I saw Paradise theater too (even stayed out all night at the venue for the morning when tickets went on sale, The Capitol Centre, to get tickets back when that was a thing) and I thought it was kind of cornball. They were getting pretty theatrical at that point with the whole "concept stage show" that would begat the Kilroy fiasco.

If you recall, they recreated a production that was about a condemned theater being sprung back to life via the power of rock and roll. It opened with a a janitor/narrator sweeping up the stage floor for the last time while relating the glory days and demise of the venerable institution. I thought it was like something you'd catch on the Hallmark Channel on a Sunday afternoon that you'd watch while recovering from a hangover just to gently stimulate your brain back to operational functionality for the coming workweek.

I remember calling my brother at college the next day to tell him he was wrong about the awesomeness of Styx, who he claimed really brought the thunder on the previous Cornerstone tour.

But that outing was all killer and no filler,  and relied on the band's music instead of Dennis DeYoung cobbling together a dinner theater-level play incorporating the band's music.

4 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Paradise Theater > Kilroy

Entire Previous Styx Catalog > Paradise Theater > Kilroy

St, Josephine's School of the Immaculata's senior production of "Pirates of Penzance" > Kilroy

And lastly, fuck you Dennis DeYoung. If Tommy Shaw builds that time machine to go back in time to the production meetings where you pitched the touring ideas for both PT and Kilroy, Imma bitch-slap you too. In the name of rock and roll.

• Haha 1

Kilroy tour sucked. Saving grace for me was the Joe Perry Project was the opening act. I lasted about 3 songs of Styx and left. 

6 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

I saw Paradise theater too (even stayed out all night at the venue for the morning when tickets went on sale, The Capitol Centre, to get tickets back when that was a thing) and I thought it was kind of cornball. They were getting pretty theatrical at that point with the whole "concept stage show" that would begat the Kilroy fiasco.

If you recall, they recreated a production that was about a condemned theater being sprung back to life via the power of rock and roll. It opened with a a janitor/narrator sweeping up the stage floor for the last time while relating the glory days and demise of the venerable institution. I thought it was like something you'd catch on the Hallmark Channel on a Sunday afternoon that you'd watch while recovering from a hangover just to gently stimulate your brain back to operational functionality for the coming workweek.

I remember calling my brother at college the next day to tell him he was wrong about the awesomeness of Styx, who he claimed really brought the thunder on the previous Cornerstone tour.

But that outing was all killer and no filler,  and relied on the band's music instead of Dennis DeYoung cobbling together a dinner theater-level play incorporating the band's music.

Entire Previous Styx Catalog > Paradise Theater > Kilroy

St, Josephine's School of the Immaculata's senior production of "Pirates of Penzance" > Kilroy

And lastly, fuck you Dennis DeYoung. If Tommy Shaw builds that time machine to go back in time to the production meetings where you pitched the touring ideas for both PT and Kilroy, Imma bitch-slap you too. In the name of rock and roll.

I always loved Styx. My first rock concert was Foghat with Styx and Head East in 1976; Tommy Shaw had just joined the band and Equinox was their latest album. In December of that year I saw them again, this time headlining in support of Crystal Ball. The band was firing on all cylinders and it was awesome. That was in the funky old Beaumont City Auditorium, which was a great place for concerts -- Rush, AC/DC (with Bon Scott), Frank Marino, Triumph, etc. -- but it has since been transformed into the hoity-toity Julie Rogers Theatre. 🙄

I ended up seeing Styx quite a few times, including several times at The Summit in Houston, which was also a great place for concerts (as well as home to the Houston Rockets). Now it's the home of Joel Osteen's Lakewood Church). One of those times was when they opened for KISS.

But Styx always delivered. Yes, they added the corny "guy pushing a broom" bit on the Paradise Theater tour, but that only occupied a small portion of the show.

June, 1983. The Texxas World Music Festival, aka Texxas Jam, came to the Houston Astrodome.

Uriah Heep - Unfortunately, the mix was pretty bad so they didn't sound very good.

Ted Nugent - High energy, loud, everything you expected from Ted back then.

Triumph - None of the lighting and pyro effects they were known for, but they still sounded great.

Sammy Hagar - This guy had more energy than any human I've ever seen. He wore a headset mic and was constantly running around, climbing the lighting trusses, giving it 100% the entire time. He made the whole thing seem like it was one enormous house party. For the encore, Ted Nugent and Rik Emmett came out and played Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll" with Sammy and his band. Amazing.

And then...

Styx - Kilroy was in full effect. After that super-high-energy set from Hagar, does anyone really want to sit through ten minutes of bad dinner theater before the band even plays? Not to mention that, from way up in the rafters where we were sitting, you couldn't really hear it. Of course, part of that was due to an Astrodome full of (mostly) drunk people shouting their disapproval. Needless to say, it wasn't going over well.

I don't remember how long we lasted into that debacle. We had been there all day, everybody was hot, tired and hungry, plus we still had a two-hour drive back home once we completed the long journey back to the car. So at some point my friends and I looked at each other and said, "You wanna go?"

So we left. It's the only time I've ever bailed on a concert before it was over.

Sometimes I think we should have stayed. Maybe if we had stuck it out until the end it would've gotten better.

• Like 2