Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tele guitar hangar rant

jginsj

Not that anyone wants to hear this, but I need to blow off steam.

I'm in GC today killing some lunch hour time and playing guitars.  I start playing teles because I only have USA's and I wanted to see how good/bad the MIM and Squiers are, just out of curiosity.  Now, we all know tele's have the most slender headstock on a guitar, so WHY does GC still hang them on those archaic, fixed U-shape hangars with foam on them??  The U is nowhere near small enough to capture that skinny headstock reliably.  So I play like 4 teles, they are all 4 in a row, and I hang each one of them back up.  After the last one, I go to hang it up, and I must have induced the most perfect little bump or vibration, because the first tele slips right through the hangar and hits the floor.  I am mortified, so I instantly reach to pick it back up, and as I'm carefully placing it back on the hangar, the second one slips and hits the floor, now I'm frantic so I grab it and go to hang it up, and it just wants to slip right back through so I start trying to hang it up REAL carefully, then that f'ing first tele drops again, so I go to hang it up real quick and then the friggin' 3rd one drops ON MY DAMN TOE, now I'm literally losing my shit, my toe hurts to high heaven, and finally, the 4th one makes its requisite drop, and I have to grab that one and hang it back up!  This guitar hanging game of whack-a-mole continues a couple more times before they finally seem to stay put, and I back sloooooowly away (limping actually) hoping that I can make my escape before, with my luck, the entire wall of guitars comes crashing down.

Thank god they were all on the bottom row.  Now I understand where all the "scratch and dents" are coming from (one particularly light, nice Player tele had a giant chunk out of the bottom, now I know how that crap happens).  You'd think GC would wise up.  Hoping they don't hang my picture up with a BANNED symbol on it!

6 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Which Guitar Center was it?  Someone needs to request the security video and post it on youtube. 

There are only two in San Jose, here's a hint, I was able to go next door and procure copious amounts of alcohol to ease my pain.

One of the bestest GC stories EVER! I read it to my wife. We both loved it! Do you have any idea how rare that is???? Lol

In the TV version of this, jginsj finally gets the last Tele back in place, nervously ready to catch another one, finally breathes a sigh of relief, and the entire wall of guitars falls to the ground.

[Cue the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme music]

Archived