Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Three "Better Than Average" SingleCuts

Well, as long as I am TRYING to keep with my new resolutions, I am going to toss a few more out there for your consideration before I expand the sales effort too broadly. Apologies in advance for the guitar pron and the prices that come with it......

ETA 3/11/2021.......This one appears to be sold, pending an in person pickup early next week. accompanied by a decent sized stack of Benjamins. I may start to have some regrets......😉

There are lots of opinions as to what makes the perfect "singlecut". Not trying to reignite that discussion......I will only speak about what works for me....The first two of these are clearly aimed at the "Les Paul" model. In fact the first has been referenced as the "Les Paul Killer" in PRS circles. It is part of a limited run of Private Stocks in 2014, which preceded the "594" line. It is not the first singlecut that PRS made, but it is, arguably, where they took it to a new level. And the 57/08 pickups are the ones that started PRS on the road to their best sounds ever (IMO, of course).

One of the best looking tops I have run across.

Note that the inlays are made of MAMMOTH ivory. PRS no longer offers them as an option.

Condition: Great shape, very little use. The top had a couple of light swirl marks. Private Stock style leather hardshell case, paperwork and PS Certificate included.
Top: Private Stock Curly maple top
Body: African Ribbon Mahogany
Neck: Mahogany
Fretboard: Madagascar Rosewood fretboard, Curly Maple binding, 24.5″ scale length
Headstock: Curly Maple stained with Mammoth Eagle, Santana shape
Inlays: Mammoth old style birds
Binding: Curly Maple binding along the fretboard
Finish: McCarty Glow / High gloss Nitro finish
Tuners: Phase III locking tuning pegs with Ivoroid buttons
Pickups: 57/08- nickel covered pickups
Electronics: 2 Volume, 2 Tone w/ 3-way toggle
Bridge: 2 piece PRS Stoptail
Hardware: Nickel
Nut: Bone Nut
Case: Private Stock style hardshell

Case candy includes  the original store sign with the $8500+ price tag.

Note also that this does NOT have the coil split function that many PRS models do. Added pictures to come. In the meantime, this link......

42593924885_316349b2be_b.jpg

Asking $5400, including shipping CONUS only. Please add fees if necessary.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take two is from one of my favorite non-USA builders. I reckon you have heard his name. I have had more Nik Huber guitars pass through my hands than I care to recount. I think it fair to call this amongst the best of them. It also goes in the "LP" direction, with one slight difference....a 25" scale.

2014 Huber Orca 59 with insane quilted maple top in a classic faded lemon burst finish.

Used but still in overall excellent condition '59 Orca guitar with virtually no signs of use, with the original case and certificate of authenticity included. The '59 Orca from Nik Huber is the German luthier's take on a late '50s-type single cut guitar. Construction includes a thick mahogany body and a supremely quilted Eastern European maple top in a lemon burst shade and with patterns that look very leopard-like. One of those guitars that is more amazing in person than in the pictures.
In addition, this guitar has quilted maple binding on the neck, which features a Brasilian Rosewood fingerboard. Note also the exotic hardwood "trim parts".
New, today, this would be in excess of $9,000 I do believe.

Includes: Original Hardshell Case and Certificate of Authenticity

It is REALLY hard to choose between this and the PRS above. This one is somewhat more flexible, having the coil split, which works so well with the Haussell 59 pickup set.

More pictures to come. In the meantime. this link.....

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/d/battle-ground-nik-huber-orca-59/7052456416.html

48604234946_a9a8a13344_b.jpgH

Asking the same price as for the PRS.

Finally....I DID say three.......

Well, this is sort of in the LP mode, but in other ways not so. You may know how a certain blue Huber Dolphin has been my Numero Uno since 2012. And you may also be sick of hearing about it.

Well, this is NOT that guitar. Rather, it is an earlier guitar that is very similar, but much more tricked out. In addition to the exceptional quilted maple top and matching headstock overlay, it has a quilted MAHOGANY body(!) When is the last time you have seen THAT? The Brazilian Rosewood board features dolphin inlays and is finished with flamed maple binding. And it has exotic wood "trim parts". And it does not come with the effects of the several years of banging about as my original......

Excellent condition. Come with the OHSC and certificate of authenticity.

As stated, my number one guitar for the past EIGHT years has been a nearly identical, but less fancy, Dolphin II. I am downsizing and it makes little sense for me to have such a great guitar as this as a backup.Jeez, what was I thinking?

As of today, I am placing this one on hold.....Somebody is planning to pop in from out-of-state to consider taking this one home. Or maybe it will be the Sephir.

30925865618_8dccdce4a4_k.jpg

44747294982_de93989331_k.jpg

44747295182_8e05d2ed4a_z.jpg

30925865768_639b1cfddb_k.jpg

I am guessing I may start having withdrawal pains if so much of my "good stuff" goes away. OTOH, time marches on, my age is increasing and I am able to spend less time with "my babies". WTH, maybe they will not sell and I can at least say, at dinner, "Well, I TRIED!" 😉

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

Those guitars are all you need to make friends.  Could I just come over and fondle your guitars for a while?  If you could loan one to me while waiting on a sale I promise to give it back. 

Hey man......Let me know next time you are passing through!

• 7 months later...

Howzabout an "I forgot I posted this earlier in 2020 bump"?

I have some current interest expressed in each of these locally, but who knows if anything comes of that....

Let me suggest some lower prices, with a net $5k to me for any one of them. Yeah, I know, def not cheap.....But try to find a comparable one if you can, let alone at that price,

BTW, I have one OTHER blue Dolphin that is less tricked out. I am going to see if I can dig up some pictures and figure out a decent price. Def would be way below this one. And, no, it is NOT my numero uno!

1 hour ago, django49 said:

Howzabout an "I forgot I posted this earlier in 2020 bump"?

I have some current interest expressed in each of these locally, but who knows if anything comes of that....

Let me suggest some lower prices, with a net $5k to me for any one of them. Yeah, I know, def not cheap.....But try to find a comparable one if you can, let alone at that price,

BTW, I have one OTHER blue Dolphin that is less tricked out. I am going to see if I can dig up some pictures and figure out a decent price. Def would be way below this one. And, no, it is NOT my numero uno!

Wait, so you have THREE blue dolphins...?  Hot damn 

50 minutes ago, Travis said:

Wait, so you have THREE blue dolphins...?  Hot damn 

I hate to confess, but FOUR blue ones. The other one (which I am also keeping) has a korina body and neck. Like I say, I have to undo some past excesses......the highly optioned one is more of a piece of art (of sorts). But each of the four share the same great "things". There is a reason why the Dolphin model has been my "go to" since about 2012. I suppose you have to play it, with the right amp, to fully appreciate. And the one that started it has a few things about it that are "counter-intuitive" if you get right down to it.....All I can say is that it changed my musical life and I refuse to make any adjustments that most people would think might "improve it".

21 minutes ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Wow!! Let's see it!  Picture, please.

These are not the best pictures (see current local CL ad link) but might give an idea. I seem to have run out of capacity to add more pictures to my "photo sharing service" at the moment. Will have to try to add more later.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/d/battle-ground-prs-private-stock/7179359181.html

6 minutes ago, django49 said:

I seem to have run out of capacity to add more pictures to my "photo sharing service" at the moment. Will have to try to add more later.

Thanks!  When I am selling any piece of gear, I just put the photos on Reverb first, and then I can copy the links and post them anywhere I like with no limit.

10 hours ago, django49 said:

I hate to confess, but FOUR blue ones. The other one (which I am also keeping) has a korina body and neck. Like I say, I have to undo some past excesses......the highly optioned one is more of a piece of art (of sorts). But each of the four share the same great "things". There is a reason why the Dolphin model has been my "go to" since about 2012. I suppose you have to play it, with the right amp, to fully appreciate. And the one that started it has a few things about it that are "counter-intuitive" if you get right down to it.....All I can say is that it changed my musical life and I refuse to make any adjustments that most people would think might "improve it".

BINGO! Exactly my experience with the Dolphin I had. Hmmmm.....

• 5 months later...

Has it been A YEAR since I posted? Oh well, I guess I was not in a hurry.....It appears the Orca 59 is sold, pending payment.

In the meantime, here is one OTHER blue Dolphin. A near clone of my "Numero Uno" except an early original with 4 &2 headstock and rosewood instead of ebony board. And in better condition. A better top too, maybe.....Subjective.

ETA>>>>>A BIG HOLD ON THIS ONE!

I do silly things. This one popped up and I bought it (last year) without much more intent than to eventually pass it on to someone else that might like the ride as much as I do. I should stop doing things like that.....If I net $3400, I would be made whole.

BTW, tonally, I would say similar to the other one (above) but without the many upgrades for exceptional woods on both body top and back, Brazilian board and flame maple bound fingerboard.

huber dolphin 2002.jpghuber dolphin 2002-1.jpghuber dolphin 2002-2.jpg

Oops.....I was premature. Sale of the Orca deferred, at least temporarily. Buyer has to move something first.......Plugged it in again last night and am having second thoughts......

Maybe I should move on to selling this one instead:

Sephir 12-20.jpg

22 hours ago, django49 said:

Has it been A YEAR since I posted? Oh well, I guess I was not in a hurry.....It appears the Orca 59 is sold, pending payment.

In the meantime, here is one OTHER blue Dolphin. A near clone of my "Numero Uno" except an early original with 4 &2 headstock and rosewood instead of ebony board. And in better condition. A better top too, maybe.....Subjective.

I do silly things. This one popped up and I bought it (last year) without much more intent than to eventually pass it on to someone else that might like the ride as much as I do. I should stop doing things like that.....If I net $3400, I would be made whole.

BTW, tonally, I would say similar to the other one (above) but without the many upgrades for exceptional woods on both body top and back, Brazilian board and flame maple bound fingerboard.

huber dolphin 2002.jpghuber dolphin 2002-1.jpghuber dolphin 2002-2.jpg

Is that a wood knot on the plate cover ?

4 minutes ago, tweed said:

Is that a wood knot on the plate cover ?

I wood knot no.

(No extra charge!)

1 hour ago, tweed said:

What year model is this ?  Been surfin' the net and so far I see only 3x3 headstock Dolphins. 

As mentioned, an earlier one, this one from 2002, one of his first 150. He and his merry men are now way past 3000. Maybe not quite as "handcrafted by Nik hisself" arguably. And there is no indication the quality has suffered from the expanded production.

Originally named simply Dolphin, they came (I do not know if there were exceptions) with the 4 & 2 headstock. Later, they shifted to the now standard 3 & 3 and were designated Dolphin IIs. So, by default, the originals became known as  the Dolphin I model. I have not seen a lot of them pop up.

Archived