Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Looking For A Black SD 'Pearly Gates' Neck p'up

I should have just bought the pair when I replaced the bridge pup on my archtop, d'oh! The '59 on the neck now sounds rather muddy in comparison when I switch to the neck.  Anyhoo, if anyone out there has a black PG for the neck position that's surplus to requirements drop me a line :)

Thanks for all your replies fellas, while those open-box items would be a good proposition to anyone residing in the USA  unfortunately my being in the UK means that by the time I've paid shipping & import duty & VAT on these items, it would cost more than the new one in the UK for about £97.  Please don't think for a moment that I don't appreciate your replies, I very much do -  I'm just kicking myself now that I didn't buy a matched pair which I could have had for £178 from a shop in the UK.  Once you put that PG on the bridge it sounds so much more lively than the '59 in the neck position.  I guess you live and learn...   On the plus side, the 'JB' I took off the bridge, it's one of SD's highest output Alnico 5 pickups so it now lives on my '86 Chap, where it sounds a lot more at home than on an Archtop!

Ed, glad to say my bridge PG is a good one, but as I was saying just above, I'm regretting not getting the (coverless) matched pair they were offering for £178 at the time.  It's so easy to get lots of harmonics and pinched harmonics from it just by slightly altering the playing position, I love it to bits.  I'd put a PG on my last Archtop in 1992 and I don't remember it being quite this lively, or powerful, so I hear what you're saying re. the variability.   I was looking up the price of a neck p'up on a UK store's site and they had a pair with nickel covers which was over £300, I'd been wondering if they were maybe SD 'Custom Shop' items as they had other single bridge or neck pickups with covers for £138 each. The uncovered ones I use are £97-£99.  Anyway thanks for the advice, if I end up getting a badly matched neck one I could try returning it maybe.  I know some people maybe turn their noses up at SD & DiMarzios these days but I've aways found them to be very good on the whole and prefer to stick with what I've known.  There's other brands out there now that are said to be better but they're an unknown quantity to me so it's too much money to gamble.  Anyway thanks for the heads up re. the PGs, much appreciated.

I just checked my stash - I knew I had a set of uncovered PGs, but unfortunately both are zebras.

Archived