Hamer Fan Club Message Center

TDC - Neil Peart

Teh

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. This really sucks. He is, and will probably always be, my favorite drummer. I'm also a big scifi fan, so his lyrics REALLY hit a chord with me.

Three years against brain cancer, that's got to suck. My favorite custom trombone mouthpiece maker also passed from that.  Usually it's pretty fast, but that explains why he's been out of the Limelight for the past few years.

Time to put on the Rush when I get home.

Neil will be missed by many. My first exposure to Rush, was when I first bought Fly By Night, then 2112 when it came out, and I was forever hooked. I knew they were special, but especially the drumming. I bought my third Rush album when it came out, All the World's a Stage. Neil's drumming blew me away on 2112, but what I was hearing on their new live album,  I never heard anything like it before. That extended drum solo on that first live album, left me speechless. I played it over and over and over. It's still fresh to listen to. I still have it. It's 44 years old!

Rush.jpg

I just saw that myself.....................love the band saw them many times and they were awesome. Neil was not only a brilliant drummer but he was also brilliant man in general. RIP!:(

Some of the previous posts indicate that his battle wasn't public knowledge. Was there ever any announcement about his malady before he died? Some folks choose to fight such afflictions in private, and my perception is that was the situation here.

When I first saw an online headline about his death a few minutes ago, the first Rush musical riff that flashed into my mind was the instrumental passage in the middle of "Time Stand Still." There weren't any fancy, jaw-dropping drum riffs or guitar shredding; there was just a pounding, straight-forward beat, with an abrupt portion chopped off at the end of each measure, which Peart and the rest of the band carried off with aplomb. It's probably technically harder to accomplish than it may seem, but it's impressive without seeming to come across as showing off. There's probably some percussion term for such a musical styling.

Here's the link; the part I'm referring to starts around 3:10. Gawd, what a great song. Got both goose bumps and tears in my eyes when I pulled it up just now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMSFqXGZ5TQ

RIP Neil, The first time I heard Fly By Night I had to buy the album!! They lost me with the synth stuff but when they where touring the midwest after Working Man I hit every concert I could!! Just blown away by such a huge sound from a 3 pce band!!

Archived