Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Interesting new gibson 70’s v’s and explorers

DaveL

Oh wow... lotta people are gonna go nuts over these.  Was this before the "Dirty Fingers" and "velvet brick" era?  Because I can see James Hetfield fans snatching up those cream flying V's like hotcakes.

They still insist on that crappy late '80s/early '90s Explorer body shape.  They REALLY should do a more accurate '70s/early '80s body - that sharp point bugs the hell outta me.

2 hours ago, cmatthes said:

They REALLY should do a more accurate '70s/early '80s body - that sharp point bugs the hell outta me.

Sad that they don't even know how to make tributes to their own guitars.

The Historic ones use the correct body shape.

45 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

The Historic ones use the correct body shape.

EF81EFCB-1453-4C41-91DA-0168A4EEF667.png

Yep, I gotta admit this shape looks much better. I hate the upper button locations on the Explorer and 58V RIs, though. Makes for an awkward hang. 

I wonder how many parts of wood are glued together under that finish?

I looked at one of these new Explorers the other week. It had a three or four piece body. Did not look all that great up close. Kinda sloppy put together with very visible seams between the parts.

highres_DSX19ANCH1_1.jpg

The other guitarist in my band bought one of these new Vee's recently. Almost unplayed, from someone who got it in a trade from a music store. It's an okay vee. But it also looks a bit cheap up close with visible seams. More than two pieces of wood in the body. And the mahogany, or what ever kinda wood it is...?, does not look nearly as great as the mahogany used in my 1991 Les Paul classic, or any of my Hamer's for that matter - but they are in a class of their own.

front-banner-1600_900.png

11 hours ago, Disturber said:

I wonder how many parts of wood are glued together under that finish?

I looked at one of these new Explorers the other week. It had a three or four piece body. Did not look all that great up close. Kinda sloppy put together with very visible seams between the parts.

5 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Hold a Gibson Explorer in the light to see if the body is truly flat.  Quite often it is not.  Either the wood has settled or the finish has somehow flowed into high and low spots. 

On a solid color non-transparent finish (or even on a transparent finish), the trick is to look at the reflection of the light in the finish, not just the body itself.  If you see a dead-straight line (or lines, since there may be more than two pieces of wood involved) running the length of the body in the reflection, 99 times out of 100 it's a seam from two pieces of wood glued together under the finish; and keep in mind that there are rarely any dead-straight lines in nature, if not at all.  When I look at any guitar with a solid-color finish I do that.  Once a guitar is glued, assembled, painted, and clear-coated, the finish starts to settle and cure, and it's nearly impossible to hide the seam(s), no matter how many times the wood is sanded and filled.

Archived