Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Dammit Fender!

diablo175

An early NAMM leak shows Fender to be issuing something moderately interesting. Loved my NOS 1991 version  of the HM Strat (with the OFR vs Kahler Spyder). This looks interesting with the maple board. But... They pretty much kill any inclination for me to seriously consider one due to the as yet un-named "high gain pickups" and the Floyd Special. Both could be easily upgraded but $1250 USD for a presumably Mexi-built re-issue of the vastly superior MIJ & US versions from 88-91doesn't seem too appealing even with the return to the highly stylized ‘80s-era “STRAT” logo. Certainly not when you can score one of the aforementioned '88- '91 versions for around 900 bucks used. And then there's the 25.1" scale. Been playing 25.5" for a long time and not sure if/how the loss of that .4" would work for me. Cause you know, that shit really matters when you are a 50-something, never-been ;)

https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2020-leak-fender-limited-edition-hm-strat-2020/?fbclid=IwAR2ypPcCFDZ0Y3fotX5cNu3mcdTncWtr1oi9To4VkgylEQgV-1ctNTIC2Ws

image.png

15 minutes ago, crunchee said:

$900 for a used original HM Strat?  Man, that's a lot of Zubaz pants!  ;)  B)

Not gonna lie, I had to Google Zubaz pants. Now I wanna pair. ;)😆

I'm thinking FMIC is just trying to cash in on a burgeoning 80's resurgence. All these Boomers and Gen X-ers (like me) are buying up old 80's shredders and hair metal axes. We know prices for older Hamers have climbed, including for what used to be the loneliest axes in guitar expos; the 80's-esque shredders. Now same axes are commanding higher $ and Fender is moving towards getting a piece of that action.

I’d question that scale length.   I doubt they invented a 25.1” for a lower priced model.  More like the bad editing we’re getting used to these days, but just my guess...

50 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

I’d question that scale length.   I doubt they invented a 25.1” for a lower priced model.  More like the bad editing we’re getting used to these days, but just my guess...

Not sure if "invented" is the word you intended? The original HM Strats were also 25.1" scale as well. Perhaps "re-tooled" or "opted" would be more along the lines of what they did? 

Really?  I had one of the mid 80s MIJ Teles and it was definitely 25.5”

12 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Really?  I had one of the mid 80s MIJ Teles and it was definitely 25.5”

Yup. Actually, the initial release had an exact 25" scale. The later US made versions in 90 had a 25.15" scale. The HM series were unique in that sense.

I saw this too. The HM Strat was never that interesting for me. I preferred the Hamer Chaparral then, when the HM Strat came out for the first time. But the article led to something else, that might be interesting for me. The Fender Player Lead III in sienna sunburst. That was my first guitar and I really liked it then. I'd like to get one and put some TV Jones T-Armond/Magnatron pickups in it. Since it always has been a "low budget" Fender, it might not be a big seller anyway. I sure have a nostalgic interest in that guitar.

fender-player-lead-iii_4.png

Interesting that they’re bringing back the Lead Series.   Those weren’t really big sellers, but were an affordable entry point for Fender back then.  I’ve actually got an Antares COPY of a Fender Lead I around...

23 hours ago, Hamer_SS_guy said:

I saw this too. The HM Strat was never that interesting for me. I preferred the Hamer Chaparral then, when the HM Strat came out for the first time. But the article led to something else, that might be interesting for me. The Fender Player Lead III in sienna sunburst. That was my first guitar and I really liked it then. I'd like to get one and put some TV Jones T-Armond/Magnatron pickups in it. Since it always has been a "low budget" Fender, it might not be a big seller anyway. I sure have a nostalgic interest in that guitar.

fender-player-lead-iii_4.png

I still own and play my original Lead III -- awesome guitars but the narrowest nut width ever - and uber contoured body (slightly smaller than a strat body). Tonally versatile - plus hardtail. I picked up a Lead II about 5 years ago for a super deal ($321) and it had a slightly larger nut width, a slightly less contoured body (also slightly larger feeling as result) and the super awesome X1 pickups that were used in the original early 80's "The Strat" model.

Archived