Hamer Fan Club Message Center

American Acoustasonic® Telecaster®

rugby1970

I tried one unplugged just to see what it felt like.  It plays nice and sounds like a thin acoustic when it is unplugged.  There is a back panel for access to the electronics.  I remember the Hamer Duotones having a set of controls that you could access through the cover plate.  There is nothing like that on the Acoustasonic Telecaster.  The dealer told me that someone who worked for Taylor designing their acoustic/electric (maybe the T5Z) was limited by budget on the pickup system, but Fender let him take the electronic circuit further for the Acoustasonic.  Unless I was going to buy the guitar I would not ask to take off the back cover just to look at the electronic circuit board or whatever is in there. 

The one I tried was the sixth one to go through the store, and they have been selling quickly at $2000 each. 

A friend of mine just bought one.. Looks a bit strange but plays and sounds really good..

001.JPG

I also got a green one. I must admit, I am an electric guitarist from the start. Once had an Epiphone SJ-200, but I can't get used to the deep bodies. So, the Acoustasonic Tele is nice to play. Yes, without amplification it doesn't really sound hot, but plugged in it sounds quite decent to me. I had been thinking about a Duo-Tone too, but since I found lots of clips of the Tele on YT and didn't find any nice clips of the Duo-Tone, I decided for the Tele. The acoustic players may not like it, but this guitar is just right for me.

7 hours ago, Hamer_SS_guy said:

I also got a green one. I must admit, I am an electric guitarist from the start. Once had an Epiphone SJ-200, but I can't get used to the deep bodies. So, the Acoustasonic Tele is nice to play. Yes, without amplification it doesn't really sound hot, but plugged in it sounds quite decent to me. I had been thinking about a Duo-Tone too, but since I found lots of clips of the Tele on YT and didn't find any nice clips of the Duo-Tone, I decided for the Tele. The acoustic players may not like it, but this guitar is just right for me.

Same thinking here but haven't pulled the trigger on either one. The Fender is quite attractive to me, and I'm playing way more acoustic these days. However, you can't beat Hamer for quality.

from the specs, it seems like Fender's version of a Line 6 Variax; the pickups drive profiles (models) and it's got a Fishman-style rechargeable battery inside.  The models sound good in the demos on Youtube, and the inclusion of a couple of electric models along with the acoustic models seems like it would be pretty flexible.  There isn't a blend between the models and the straight pickup outputs, so it seems that everything runs through the models all the time.  That would be a pretty useful tool for playing live if you like the tones.   I wouldn't mind trying one, but I'm staying out of music stores for a bit lol.

The Duotone is a slightly different beast on that there isn't any modelling on the piezo pickup AFAIK (or the magnetic pickups for that matter).  I've got a beater Duotone with a repaired neck and replacement pickups, but I hardly ever use the piezo side.

1 minute ago, Steve Haynie said:

The Acoustasonic is better than expected.  Fender did OK with this one.  That does not mean everyone needs to sell their Duotone, though. 

Oh I know they’re really nothing like the Ferrington from a quality stand point, I was merely commenting on the looks 😉 

4 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Oh I know they’re really nothing like the Ferrington from a quality stand point, I was merely commenting on the looks 😉 

I remember those Kramer Ferrington print ads with Dweezil Zappa in various guitar magazines...if anybody sees Dweezil playing one of these Acoustasonics, especially through a Peavey Wiggy amp, please warn us quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to play an Acoustasonic Tele this weekend (local Guitar Center had 3 new ones on sale for $1799). Typical of Guitar Center, the two I played were horribly set up. However, they both sounded great through a Boss Katana 50 amp on the acoustic setting. Really detailed and realistic amplified acoustic guitar tones, and nice tonal variations across the models. Didn't spend much time on the electric models. If I needed an amplified acoustic steel string, one of these would be on my short list.

Disappointing that the body mic is not available on each of the models. Seems like there is plenty of power and variations available with the Fishman electronics, but Fender has decided to dumb down the interface to two knobs and a switch so as not to scare older guitarists.

1 hour ago, jwhitcomb3 said:

...decided to dumb down the interface to two knobs so as not to scare older guitarists.

Wait - there's more than 2 knobs now?!?

......f***in' kids nowadays.....

I’ve tried a couple of the Tele ones. Thought they were pretty good - sound and feel wise. Kind of expensive and weird looking for my taste though.  I’d rather an acoustic and a tele separately, but I get why people might like them.

I believe demand surpassed the initial supply and they were constantly sold out. 

Not a fan of the look of the Stat version. Hideous. 

Archived