Hamer Fan Club Message Center

C'mon Man - Guitar Idiocy from the Interwebs

LucSulla

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

Just riding the wave, seeing where the tubes take me. 

6L6’s?

EL84’s?

you tubes?

boob tubes?

Eustachian tubes?

Fallopian tubes...?

29 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Rectifier Tubes?

Tire Tubes?

Tube Steak?

Tube Snake?

Tied Tubes?

Feeding Tubes?

Tube Tops?

Tube Light?

Tuberculosis?

Ok, the tuberculosis made me laugh out loud 

This drives me nuts.   It's the equivalent of car sellers on Craigslist getting weird about your asking for a VIN - a frikin number everyone in the world can see JUST BY WALKING PAST YOUR CAR.  A serial number is not a fucking social security or credit card number.  Maybe there is some Byzantine scam by which giving out the serial could cause something to happen, but it must almost never happen.  Music stores and most sellers list them, and it isn't like they're getting defrauded left and right.  

But as a buyer, just like I might want to run a Carfax type thing on your VIN, I have some interest in reading your serial number, mostly to see if what you are selling is what it is.  Whatever off chance likelihood there is that I'm going to swindle you out of your guitar by reporting your serial as stolen is dwarfed by the chance that maybe by being stingy with the serial that you might be hiding something. 

Which honestly, isn't that damn likely either, other than sellers not knowing how to read their serials themselves.  Mostly, it just gets on my nerves because it's just more irrational bullshit some in the guitar community seem to think makes some kind of sense. 

Or maybe I'm wrong and all of us giving out our serials on the Shishkov forum are about to get massively get fucked by counterfeiters and con artists. 

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

Or maybe I'm wrong and all of us giving out our serials on the Shishkov forum are about to get massively get fucked by counterfeiters and con artists. 

In that case, my Shishkov number is NOT 0123.  It’s something else entirely...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 7:33 PM, LucSulla said:

This drives me nuts.   It's the equivalent of car sellers on Craigslist getting weird about your asking for a VIN - a frikin number everyone in the world can see JUST BY WALKING PAST YOUR CAR.  A serial number is not a fucking social security or credit card number.  Maybe there is some Byzantine scam by which giving out the serial could cause something to happen, but it must almost never happen.  Music stores and most sellers list them, and it isn't like they're getting defrauded left and right.  

But as a buyer, just like I might want to run a Carfax type thing on your VIN, I have some interest in reading your serial number, mostly to see if what you are selling is what it is.  Whatever off chance likelihood there is that I'm going to swindle you out of your guitar by reporting your serial as stolen is dwarfed by the chance that maybe by being stingy with the serial that you might be hiding something. 

Which honestly, isn't that damn likely either, other than sellers not knowing how to read their serials themselves.  Mostly, it just gets on my nerves because it's just more irrational bullshit some in the guitar community seem to think makes some kind of sense. 

spacer.png

Totally agree. Not sure why a seller would feel the necessity to hide it. I did it a couple of times, mostly because I was unsure. I still thought it pointless. 

Is the idea that scammers can’t lift and use your photos? Couldn’t that still happen since it’s already common to have blocked out serials? 

Weird idiots. Including me those couple of times :)

2 hours ago, Sugartune said:

Totally agree. Not sure why a seller would feel the necessity to hide it. I did it a couple of times, mostly because I was unsure. I still thought it pointless. 

Is the idea that scammers can’t lift and use your photos? Couldn’t that still happen since it’s already common to have blocked out serials? 

Weird idiots. Including me those couple of times :)

I used to do it too until I realized that it made no sense.  I generate more sensitive information just from using the Google Chrome browser that I never even think twice about, yet I was treating guitar serials like someone was going to hack my retirement account if they discovered what they were. 

So I’ve got my 3 Monkeys GM II for sale and listed it here and at the rear page. I get a pm from some ass-hat who writes the following:

“I have a bunch of high end boutique pedals and 2 cool Epi custom Classic Les Pauls in black. Would you consider a trade for the head with these and the pedals below?

Analogman OD9 silver mod and built in bad boost

Function fx Clusterfuzz

Lovepedal Amp 808

Clinch FX Ep pre

Mr Black limited edition 18v JDS-50

Epiphones are Mint! 2014, aged binding and real Gibson push pull pickups. 

Happy to send pics. 

Best,

Doug”

6 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

So I’ve got my 3 Monkeys GM II for sale and listed it here and at the rear page. I get a pm from some ass-hat who writes the following:

“I have a bunch of high end boutique pedals and 2 cool Epi custom Classic Les Pauls in black. Would you consider a trade for the head with these and the pedals below?

Function fx Clusterfuzz

Lovepedal Amp 808

Clinch FX Ep pre

Happy to send pics. 

Best,

Doug”

No, Doug. Just no....

8 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Function fx Clusterfuzz

Lovepedal Amp 808

Clinch FX Ep pre

Happy to send pics. 

Best,

Doug”

Ya gotta just shake your head with some of the idiots out there! I try to stay away from trades! Or I’ll specify exactly what I’m looking for with a trade!! I do not sell on the GP. That site seem’s to generate the craziest questions and the angriest responses to “NO”!!! 

Archived