Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Any fix for smelly guitar and mic cables

HAMERMAN

Question

A co-worker gave me a bunch of old guitar and mic cables that were in his basement studio that he is trying to clear out. At some point the basement had water damage so everything has that wet basement smell and some of the cables had some serious funk on them. I was able to clean them up so that now they aren't too nasty but they still have a bit of that smell. If the weather was warmer I would put them out in the sun for a while (because I think that helps) but now that that's not an option has anybody dealt with something similar?

I keep some of my bands gig gear in my garage and have had some cables inside a storage bin get a bit smelly too so it would be nice to find a way to prevent this. I wonder if a box of baking soda inside the bin would help?

10 answers to this question

Putting a box of baking soda in the bin might absorb odor, but it will not destroy the source of the odor.  You can probably submerge the cables in soapy water or some kind of diluted cleaner that will lift off what stinks.  If the vinyl jacket on the cables is breaking down and gassing off you have a problem. 

To clean the tolex on old amps you can use whitewall cleaner.  It takes everything off of the vinyl, leaving it shiny and new looking except for the tears and nicks.  That stuff is formulated to be sprayed on metal wheels and hubcaps without causing corrosion, so it should be safe to use without corroding your cable connectors. 

2 hours ago, MCChris said:

The best solution is to not agree to take out someone else's garbage.

Absolutely get what you are saying but my plan is to bring them to our rehearsal room where everything eventually stinks like our drummers cigars. I would prefer he didn't smoke in the rehearsal room but hey it's his house.

1 hour ago, HAMERMAN said:

Absolutely get what you are saying but my plan is to bring them to our rehearsal room where everything eventually stinks like our drummers cigars. I would prefer he didn't smoke in the rehearsal room but hey it's his house.

Oh, well if they're going to his house, marinate them in your commode after your next Taco Bell binge.

Get an ionizer, place the cables in front of the ionizer, set up a couple of saw horses or chairs next to the ionizer and gear, drape a tarp over them to create a tent, making sure the tarp doesn’t touch the ionizer or gear, leaving plenty of room to not obstruct the ionizer’s air flow, run the ionizer on high for a few days. Do this in your garage, these produce ozone and too much isn’t healthy to breathe. It will take care of the stench. 

Living Air has been the best brand of ionizers for over thirty years. They’re really pricey though. This link is for an exact knock-off of one of their more popular models: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ivation-Ozone-Generator-Air-Purifier-Ionizer-Deodorizer-Purifies-Up-to-3-500-Sq-Ft-Great-for-Dust-Pollen-Pets-Smoke-More/874766496

Archived