Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Cold weather outdoor shows?

Camstone

Question

I have two gigs coming up (the next two weekends) that will be outdoors in temperatures below freezing.  Wondering the best way to acclimate my guitars without damage. Thinking cool them down slowly and warm them back up slowly and don't bring anything with a lacquer finish. Any advice?

I have Renaud's Syndrome.  Cold gigs are out for me.  We played a tailgate party for Stetson University's football team in November and I couldn't play anything but bar chords.  It was 55 degrees.  I have some guitars that aren't nitro.  They seem to be impervious.  No lacquer is the best plan.  No worries.

I guess it depends on the temp. Are you going to have a heater on stage? Just leave the guitar in the garage or truck, band van and tune up a lot. I had a Strat that was solid as a rock for temp changes where my non bolt on’s didn’t fair as well. 

29 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

I guess it depends on the temp. Are you going to have a heater on stage? Just leave the guitar in the garage or truck, band van and tune up a lot. I had a Strat that was solid as a rock for temp changes where my non bolt on’s didn’t fair as well. 

20 degrees Fahrenheit plus or minus 5 degrees. There will be heaters, but probably not enough to make a difference. Yeah, I was figuring bringing my Nash guitars since they are bolt on and already look beat to hell.

1 hour ago, Camstone said:

Yeah, I was figuring bringing my Nash guitars since they are bolt on and already look beat to hell.

That's what I'd do.  No matter how careful you are, if you're outside, you can't be sure, and why risk it when you have other tools that will do the job?

On 1/14/2020 at 8:28 AM, Jakeboy said:

20 degrees would render my fingers useless on a guitar. Hope the gigs go great and your guitars make out fine!

Yeah, I'm done at 55 degrees.  Reduced to playing squares and two string chords...

The FIRST thing you do is fire the dumbass who booked those gigs. Two outdoor gigs. In January?!? World class moron. Should be beaten.

As far as your question/problem: stay home. You're not making enough to cover the ruined gear.

This thread really warmed my heart as we’ve played two such dates over the past several months for pre-game events across the street from Lambeau Field...you know, The Frozen Tundra and all that. I’ll exempt September’s date as that was summer like, but November’s was 28 degrees and this past Sunday’s (pictured) was 22 and thankfully no wind. Three things that helped: Layered Clothing, An abundance of hand warmers- (my hoodie was stuffed with them and easily accessed while doing more than usual laying-out at the top of verses/ solos) and finally Made In Korea. In my case, getting close in proximity to the heaters (somewhere that we want to be) with a guitar that’s essentially the same as the outdoor temp instantly affected its tuning. The instruments got to outdoor temperature pretty quickly while sitting in the case during set up. Once my fingers went numb, they surprisingly came back (to the best that they could) life. Finally, have fun with what truly is a “Dear Mom- I’m making it in the music business...” moment...

026A917B-6AE9-425A-ADEC-D74EFDFDB8D6.jpeg

11 minutes ago, PFunk said:

This thread really warmed my heart as we’ve played two such dates over the past several months for pre-game events across the street from Lambeau Field...you know, The Frozen Tundra and all that. I’ll exempt September’s date as that was summer like, but November’s was 28 degrees and this past Sunday’s (pictured) was 22 and thankfully no wind. Three things that helped: Layered Clothing, An abundance of warmers- (my hoodie was stuffed with them and easily accessed while doing more than usual laying-out at the top of verses/ solos) and finally Made In Korea. In my case, getting close in proximity to the heaters (somewhere that we want to be) with a guitar that’s essentially the same as the outdoor temp instantly affected its tuning. The instruments got to outdoor temperature pretty quickly while sitting in the case during set up. Once my fingers went numb, they surprisingly came back (to the best that they could) life. Finally, have fun with what truly is a “Dear Mom- I’m making it in the music business...” moment...

026A917B-6AE9-425A-ADEC-D74EFDFDB8D6.jpeg

You crazy.

10 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

That look’s like a show where 100 par 64 can’s would be welcomed!!

Exactly- while my fingers were going numb and screaming “when are we going to get some warmth for gods sakes?” I’m thinking- “where’s all of the damn par 64’s when they’re needed?!...I don’t care if it’s daylight...”

^^^ Freebird!

The problem with freezing cold outdoor gigs is everything sounds bad. Fingers don't move, guitars won't tune, amps sound....cold. It's never fun. I can't imagine it does much good for drums, either. Unless it's for a good cause (and it better be really good) or there's a boatload of cash (and I mean a big boat), I'm out.

I played an outdoor NYE show with an '80s cover band in 40 degree weather with both my '90 Chapparal Elite 90 & '94 Diablo II guitars last year. We had those propane tube heaters on each side of the stage, was wearing spandex/rising sun tank top/black satin baseball jacket, and it was cold! The guitars were fine, but I had to wrap myself up in a trench coat and stand next to the patio propane heater during the breaks. I ended up getting a cold a few days later and my guitar sub wasn't available to fill in for me. The most miserable gig I've had to play even though the guys were nice enough to help me load in/out my gear. Theraflu carried me through the gig that night.  I hate to say this, but I won't ever do that again!

Guitar George

So, the first show went off okay. It was about 20 degrees and there were a couple thousand people milling around. They shut down the whole town of Chelan and set up the "Winterfest" on the main street. I kept hand warmers in my pockets. Brought three guitars in case I had tuning problems, but playing guitar wasn't too bad. Biggest issue was the effect of the cold dry air on my throat (for singing). I had just returned back from two weeks in Maui and about half way though our 90 minute set, could hardly talk let alone sing. I can still feel it and we have another one of these shows this Saturday. Maybe I will try keeping a Fisherman's Friend under my tongue.

82397724_10215991866086362_7601242887216431104_o.jpg

Archived