Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
gtrdaddy

2019: GEAR - Your Best Scores & Biggest Fails of the Year!

Tell us about your greatest scores of 2019, and the biggest turds(so long as you’re not trying to sell said turds on the FS Forum)!

For the wins:

Lovepedals! My Favorite, Black Glass OC42 BBB. Flat-out amazing! Second place, the COT hand-wired White Foldy, followed by a tie me thinks, between the Vintage Modern and the Eternity Burst (Yowza they're both great sounding!), and the Black Magic Zendrive. I have to say that Lovepedal has seriously improved upon the Zen with the Black Magic Zen. I had the original Hermida Zendrive that I got in Aventura, FL from Alf when I lived down there, as well as Alf’s 12AX7-driven Zendrive II, not to be confused with Lovepedal’s Zen II. While I really liked those originals, Lovepedal’s Black Magic Zendrive is a major improvement over the old, much more open sounding, more articulate and more chime on top. People selling Alf’s originals for $300 & $400, have lost their minds. The old ones are NOT better! Finally the AMP Eleven! Lovepedal has knocked it out of the park with these pedals. All I can say is wow!

Fails:

Loop Master. I’ve had a Loop Master 7-Looper for years. Great product. I ordered a second one in January 2019 with an estimated ship time of 15-20 days. Two months went by and no correspondence. I emailed him asking about it, three days later got a response saying he was extra busy and fell behind and said it wouldn’t be long. Another month went by and nothing. Sent another email, days later responded saying he was in the hospital, apologized and said it would be soon. Another month later, yep, nothing. Emailed again, four days later a response saying it will be soon. Always ambiguous answers. I emailed back and asked for a hard number of days to expect delivery. Keep in mind he requires you pay up front. Again he gave a vague response three days later again(his communication speed lacks as well as skills). I emailed him back and told him I was sorry he was hospitalized and behind, but I paid him almost five months ago at this point, for something I was supposed to receive in three to four weeks, not five months, and his slow and ambiguous responses are not acceptable. I told him to cancel the order and send me a refund. Three HOURS later (his fastest response ever - LOL) he sends me a tracking number and said it is on its way. For a week and a half tracking says “on the way to the post office.” Two weeks later it shows up. I open the package, wearing a white shirt, and a ton of metallic dust from the jeweling and polish process pours out all over me. My shirt was silver, and my hands looked like an alien’s hands from 1960’s Star Trek, until I realized I was bleeding all over the place and the hand’s couldn’t possibly be alien because the blood wasn’t blue, it was red and it was my blood. This thing looks like it was made by a kid failing in shop class, it had sharp edges and folded steel that wasn’t cut to proper length and unfinished with points that were sharp as a knife, ripped my hand open on it. Piece of junk. If I’ve ever recommended this ass-clown to anyone here, my apologies! This product was nothing like the one I got years ago. Absolute garbage, Loop Master = major FAIL!

Edited by gtrdaddy
  • Like 6

Best score and biggest failure in one.  
bought this and sold it later.  
7287EC83-8DF1-4AE3-B874-4BCC7B994327.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Ua D said:

Best score and biggest failure in one.  
bought this and sold it later.  
7287EC83-8DF1-4AE3-B874-4BCC7B994327.jpeg

What was wrong with it?

Nothing.  The failure was selling it.  It was a magnificent guitar. 

my real biggest fail this year wasnt music stuff it was selling my well sorted Bmw r1200gs to get a super Moto.  

dumb.  Always wanted a sumo and finally got one.  Too slow yet  too frantic and too one dimensional.  Lost money on both ends of those deals. Not that I expect to make money with motorcycles.  

Edited by Ua D
  • Sad 1

Best, part 1: Orange Custom Shop 50 amp head. Impeccable built quality; perfect classic rock sound. Combined with my Rockerverb Mk II, it's a double-edged sword of metal assault!

spacer.png

Best, part 2: 2007 Hamer Studio Custom. It was NOS from Roxy Guitar. I sold a 2008 SC and regretted it, so when I had a chance to get this one, I didn't hesitate.  

spacer.png

Worst: not music related, but for Christmas I bought the wife one of those robot vacuums. Very weak suction power, and couldn't find its way back to the charger. I returned it to the store, and have been happily vacuuming the old fashioned way ever since! 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Thundersteel said:

Worst: not music related, but for Christmas I bought the wife one of those robot vacuums. Very weak suction power, and couldn't find its way back to the charger. I returned it to the store, and have been happily vacuuming the old fashioned way ever since! 

Could be worse, your robot vacuum could have sniffed out a pile of dog poop...

E76FABAC-22C1-4996-8444-7829467CB4D0.jpegB3395FD9-FF88-486B-A1C9-F29D59E9399F.jpeg

• Haha 8

51 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Could be worse, your robot vacuum could have sniffed out a pile of dog poop...

E76FABAC-22C1-4996-8444-7829467CB4D0.jpegB3395FD9-FF88-486B-A1C9-F29D59E9399F.jpeg

That must have been horrendous to deal with. I put a lol on it because I did laugh how technology could not have predicted that 

• Thanks 1

My best was my worst.  If you are on the member board, you already know my sad tail of woe.  I ain't a drinker when I'm depressed, but I do spend money a bit it seems.  My Sweetwater bill is gastly - thank god for 48 months with no interest.  

But, I do enjoy the Roland V Drums.  And the Friedman BE-50 Deluxe is hands down the greatest amp that I've ever owned.  The Budda SD-18 is a badass grab and go.  And I broke even on the Miller Time and even made a little money on the Jackson Adrian Smith.  

Things are good again now though, and I just bought a Soloist to go along with the Fusion I picked up.  It's nice to be spending money I really don't have on badass guitars for all the right reasons again. 😂

Edited by LucSulla
  • Like 6

Best of 2019 is two and a half fold:

1) FINALLY fulfilling my decades old vow of getting a Mirage II to match my original Mirage, the first Hamer I ever owned and the one that got me into all of this. Now, I just need to find a maple top to complete the trifecta and correct a fail of 2010 when I sold a Mirage Maple with an insane top...

2) Discovering Gravelin pickups and ordering a couple of sets plus having Josh rewind another pair for me. My Mirage, Mirage II and Charvel are all fully loaded with his work. Can’t praise the guy enough. Josh makes fantastic pickups and he’s a great guy to deal with and talk to about guitars. 

2.5) ordering my first Shishkov. I’m putting this as a half win for 2019 because I took the plunge but the full win will have to wait until late 2020/early 2021. 

Fails: no gear fails in 2019, thankfully. Life fails were plenty but I do my best to fail forward and pick myself up a couple feet ahead to start again. I choose to refer to my fails as “learning experiences”...

8F37262D-9F3F-4118-80E0-86FF5D3189EB.jpeg

• Like 5

I had an amazing 2019

I scored this '87 USA Kramer Baretta for $212:

46752608342_ee76bd24b9_b.jpg

Scored this '95 PRS Custom 24 10-Top for $1000:

49148413361_5f0cea9031_b.jpg

Scored this '09 Fender Highway 1 Honey Blonde for $100

46754153405_fc10aa2601_b.jpg

Scored this '89 MIJ Charvel 750 XL for $500

47952982882_1ab5f0e9f7_b.jpg

Scored this '98 ESP Horizon for $320

48808742096_9395042fb2_b.jpg

Found this '76 S.L. Mossman Great Plains for $785

49258840741_4e21fe0c22_b.jpg

Scored this '92 Hamer Chapparal  for $190

46908351774_e7f711496e_b.jpg

Found this '09 Taylor 210 E for $258

49305679747_95b33b119a_b.jpg

Scored this '05 Gibson LP Studio the last day of 2019 for $286

49307014446_7d22e0cb06_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

NO real life fails last year..........................retired on August 31st after 14 years [With NO sick calls during my time of employment there] and it has been great being able to plan my day without having to think about work. I have been able to fine tune many things around the house including my guitar abilities,getting my jazz guitar chops back up to very near when I was teaching back in the 1970s. I only got the one new guitar......................new old guitar,this one,with one other coming my way very soon,waiting on my seller to return back from an almost month long vacation so he can get the guitar sent off to me. Heading to Jamaica here in the first part of February with my wife for a nice vacation,I can't complain,life IS good.:)eHxkyFD.jpg

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, Texsunburst59 said:

I had an amazing 2019

I scored this '87 USA Kramer Baretta for $212:

46752608342_ee76bd24b9_b.jpg

Scored this '95 PRS Custom 24 10-Top for $1000:

49148413361_5f0cea9031_b.jpg

Scored this '09 Fender Highway 1 Honey Blonde for $100

46754153405_fc10aa2601_b.jpg

Scored this '89 MIJ Charvel 750 XL for $500

47952982882_1ab5f0e9f7_b.jpg

Scored this '98 ESP Horizon for $320

48808742096_9395042fb2_b.jpg

Found this '76 S.L. Mossman Great Plains for $785

49258840741_4e21fe0c22_b.jpg

Scored this '92 Hamer Chapparal  for $190

46908351774_e7f711496e_b.jpg

Found this '09 Taylor 210 E for $258

49305679747_95b33b119a_b.jpg

Scored this '05 Gibson LP Studio the last day of 2019 for $286

49307014446_7d22e0cb06_b.jpg Some GREAT scores there SKIP,my favorite has to be that Charvel 750XL:wub:,..............such a cool guitar and you got it at an incredible price. I KNOW  your going to find more this year.:)

• Like 1

My biggest fail was a purchase from Guitar Center. A Tom Anderson Classic Strat that was rated as excellent condition. I had them send extra pictures but they where careful to not photograph a portion of the back of the neck. It obviously had taken a fall and there was a almost invisible split in the neck. Took it back to my local GC and they refunded my money almost immediately! I’ll continue to buy guitars from GC as their return policy is great. Their condition rating and pictures could use a big upgrade tho!!

• Thanks 1

Best:  Definitely the minty white Ibanez AS73 loaded with a set of Gibson '57 Classics that I bought from a local jazz box player. $250 with OHSC.  Bought it to have a semi-hollow to play around the house; ended up in my gigging rotation that includes an Archtop Studio and P-90 Special. That Ibby is a tone monster in spite of its price and origin. Close second:  A barely-used Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe V2. Pretty nice dirt box with a lot of tonal options tweakable to adjust to different guitars and/or pickups.

Worst:  Don't laugh...but my 2019 duds were all small-potatoes accessories.  Bought a Dunlop concave pyrex slide in the "L" size that's supposed to fit my finger (I have an old one I got in a trade of parts that I love--it had no markings re: size).  Turned out to be too large and not worth the effort to return. Also used an Best Buy gift card to buy a collapsible guitar stand for my daughter's Tele--a stand that's very compact when folded, but not very useful when set up. Again, small $$$ and not worth the gas or effort to return. 

Edited by Biz Prof
  • Like 5

Three fine guitar purchases.

The Monaco SuperPro I got at Guitar Center is really lovely and plays like  champ, for less than what a new Indonesian mass-produced guitar goes for.

The Vigier is a fantastic Strat, built like a brick house.

The EBMM St. Vincent was the biggest surprise. It was brand new at GC, marked down to under what the used prices were on Reverb. Figured I could try it and return in the 45-day window if necessary. The darned thing does it all: sounds like a Gibson on the bridge pickup with some dirt, does a decent Tele impression on the bridge+neck position, and the all-three-somehow-out-of-phase position makes a surprising Strat sound.

• Like 4

My only guitar purchases were a relic Telecaster and Axe FX III. I'd been on a wait list for a different product but got tired of waiting.  Axe III has changed my mind about their products.  I've always heard great sounds from Fractal but I could never get there with mine. So Kemper is been the king. The new UI is much better and more can happen inside amp blocks which takes away all the drives, boosts and gates needed to bring the brutalz. It easier to get from Point A, the crappy preset to Point B, the tonez.  

pM1UCgg.jpg

• Like 2

Best scores:

2001 Artist Custom. Always wanted one, ever since they were introduced when I was in high school. Overpaid (only a little, to someone here before I was a member), don't care. Didn't haggle or make an offer. I wanted it and didn't want someone to buy it out from under me (happened on the previous one I was eyeing), so I pulled the trigger. Couldn't be happier, and it brought me here!

Lovepedal(s) - I got sucked in by the love shown them by so many here and bought a bunch. I haven't even spent more than half an hour on half of them, so I can't really give them an honest full review, because I love one so damn much I just don't want to experiment with anything else! My hands down favorite is my Box of Awesome (Kalamazoo/OD11). Still really want a black big box Amp11, but I should really get to know my So Naked OD11, 200lbs of Gold, JMP11, and photocell Vibronaut better before I buy any others! Gotta really learn how stuff stacks with what I already have and then thin the dirty heard. 11 od/distortion/fuzz/boost boxes is way more than enough for every tone I want a few times over, so I gotta get through that process this year.

• Like 3

I can't really think of any true fails. But thinking about the guitars that have come my way in 2019, these three stand out.

My "Been Looking For Years" score - History AH-LC 35th Anniversary (#23 of 35) - I became enamored with the History brand several years ago. in my research, I came across this model. Knowing that there were only 35 made for the Japanese domestic market, I figured the chances of stumbling across one were slim to none. To my surprise, one popped up for sale in Japan. I knew it wouldn't be cheap, but I couldn't resist. Ended up selling for less than I thought, good for me.

y4mfpSFqw5ehiuyIywnxFctzZGQ9b5NnhQOuWwYz

My "Thought I Missed the Boat" Score - Shishkov Uptimate #0023 - I was asleep at the wheel when Mike started his own brand and didn't get in line for the initial Ultimate run. While I've rectified working directly with him on #0108 (hopefully soon), I figured I had missed the boat on an Ultimate. Thankfully this one came up for sale here and I happened to be on the board when it did. I think it lasted 5 minutes before I pulled the trigger.

y4mz6McJ7R4ey8BW1_GiSpB_BVl_PxgMjUO9wbmB

My "Completely Blown Away" score - Fujigen Custom House Masterfield Rare Wood Series in Hawaiian Koa - When I saw this for sale in Japan, I fell in love with the look. Having had some experience with the Fujigen/FGN brand, I decided to take a chance on it. Boy am I glad I did. It is one of the finest guitars I've had the pleasure of playing. Super light, slightly smaller than a 335, extremely easy playability and a crisp, clear tone. And what a looker, pictures do not do it justice. Other players that come by the house are immediately drawn to it. I pick it up every day and smile.

y4mN24bgTApj9EAXbKi5M1hZolSbmK7j1DAYh4zT

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Score: --2014 Fender USA Ltd Ed Sandblasted Tele in Sapphire Blue. 

--'Parts' Fender MIM Jazz Bass Fretless...complete body from a '60's 'Road Worn' (factory relic'd) JB, complete 2003 'Special Edition' JB Fretless neck.  Neck and body fit just as they should.

--Made In Canada Mack Skyraider SR-15 Tube Amp Head and matching 1x12" speaker cab.

--VHT Special 6 Tube Amp Head (not Ultra model).

Fail: --2000's MIK G&L 'Tribute' ASAT Classic...MFD pickups were too bright and clean for my taste, had gaps between the neck and body in the neck pocket on both sides of the neck, returned.

It could have been worse:

Edited by crunchee
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, crunchee said:

It could have been worse:

That segment should be shown to all students enrolled in Intro to Sociology.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Last year, in summer, I had scored a Blitz bass stripped naked down to the pure mahogany. It wasn't a great deal. But I'm happy and planning for a nice paint job. Will see...

On the score side too was an adjustable power supply for the Deacy amp. The sweet spot of the original circuit is at about 7.5V rather than the regular 9V. It takes out a bit of harshness at the lower volts.

In the winter break 18/19 I came to work on the organ symphony from fellow @Sentinel, connecting a virtual dutch church organ with his original notes and mixing in Cubase. It ended up with great results. We met in person end of September in Germany where another of his pieces had been publicly performed in a concert row of a regional chamber orchestra/group. I had met a few guys for jamming, including @901gtr.

My fail last year had been not booking a guitar class at Schorndorfer Gitarrentage in May and, overall, playing less guitar than the year before. Schorndorf has been fixed for this year already.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It'll be tough to top my 2019 acquisition of this 12/18 Sock Monkey - got to pick it up for another cool, yet too brief, HFC hang with gtrdaddy too!

3M Sock Monkey 2.jpg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

It'll be tough to top my 2019 acquisition of this 12/18 Sock Monkey - got to pick it up for another cool, yet too brief, HFC hang too!

3M Sock Monkey 2.jpg

You got that one? Sweet. Growing collection of Monkeys? 

• Like 1

I've got to stop at TWO Monkeys...three 3 Monkeys would just be, um...weird?

Shishkov #0066.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

I've got to stop at TWO Monkeys...three 3 Monkeys would just be, um...weird?

“Not to mention a felony in several states.”

:lol:

....Eric Otten RIP

Edited by gtrdaddy
  • Haha 3