Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
gtrdaddy

2019: GEAR - Your Best Scores & Biggest Fails of the Year!

On 1/18/2020 at 9:19 AM, hrtatak said:

Win - A lefty Strandberg* Boden Prog 6. This weird little guitar quickly became my favorite guitar. It just barely nudges my lefty Shishkov Ultimate #0010 out of the top spot for one reason. It weighs under 5 lbs......getting wrapped up in the PTO shaft of a grain auger over 25 years ago means my back hates me so heavy guitars are out.  This guitar has seemingly cured my G.A.S. as I recently came across 2 guitars that I have wanted for years.....a lefty Jackson PC1 in blue which would be my 1st color choice and a lefty BC Rich Rich Bich....and they aren't on the way to my house. I have also thought about selling off some of my guitars and that thought has never entered my mind before.....ever.

If you run across one of these check them out.

I've been very curious about the Strandberg Boden Fusion 6 (probably the neck-thru version that comes out later this year), but I can't find them anywhere to actually try out.  Do you mind sharing your experience with the neck shape?

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 6:34 PM, gtrdaddy said:

Tell us about your greatest scores of 2019, and the biggest turds(so long as you’re not trying to sell said turds on the FS Forum)!

For the wins:

Lovepedals! My Favorite, Black Glass OC42 BBB. Flat-out amazing! Second place, the COT hand-wired White Foldy, followed by a tie me thinks, between the Vintage Modern and the Eternity Burst (Yowza they're both great sounding!), and the Black Magic Zendrive. I have to say that Lovepedal has seriously improved upon the Zen with the Black Magic Zen. I had the original Hermida Zendrive that I got in Aventura, FL from Alf when I lived down there, as well as Alf’s 12AX7-driven Zendrive II, not to be confused with Lovepedal’s Zen II. While I really liked those originals, Lovepedal’s Black Magic Zendrive is a major improvement over the old, much more open sounding, more articulate and more chime on top. People selling Alf’s originals for $300 & $400, have lost their minds. The old ones are NOT better! Finally the AMP Eleven! Lovepedal has knocked it out of the park with these pedals. All I can say is wow!

Fails:

Loop Master. I’ve had a Loop Master 7-Looper for years. Great product. I ordered a second one in January 2019 with an estimated ship time of 15-20 days. Two months went by and no correspondence. I emailed him asking about it, three days later got a response saying he was extra busy and fell behind and said it wouldn’t be long. Another month went by and nothing. Sent another email, days later responded saying he was in the hospital, apologized and said it would be soon. Another month later, yep, nothing. Emailed again, four days later a response saying it will be soon. Always ambiguous answers. I emailed back and asked for a hard number of days to expect delivery. Keep in mind he requires you pay up front. Again he gave a vague response three days later again(his communication speed lacks as well as skills). I emailed him back and told him I was sorry he was hospitalized and behind, but I paid him almost five months ago at this point, for something I was supposed to receive in three to four weeks, not five months, and his slow and ambiguous responses are not acceptable. I told him to cancel the order and send me a refund. Three HOURS later (his fastest response ever - LOL) he sends me a tracking number and said it is on its way. For a week and a half tracking says “on the way to the post office.” Two weeks later it shows up. I open the package, wearing a white shirt, and a ton of metallic dust from the jeweling and polish process pours out all over me. My shirt was silver, and my hands looked like an alien’s hands from 1960’s Star Trek, until I realized I was bleeding all over the place and the hand’s couldn’t possibly be alien because the blood wasn’t blue, it was red and it was my blood. This thing looks like it was made by a kid failing in shop class, it had sharp edges and folded steel that wasn’t cut to proper length and unfinished with points that were sharp as a knife, ripped my hand open on it. Piece of junk. If I’ve ever recommended this ass-clown to anyone here, my apologies! This product was nothing like the one I got years ago. Absolute garbage, Loop Master = major FAIL!

WE NEED PICS OF THIS pedal

I bought a green Fender Acoustasonic Tele. No, it wasn't cheap, but I like the sound, playability and looks of it. This is the acoustic guitar I have been looking for. Another minor thing, but to great effect, I put on new strings on my fretless Fender Bass. I bought it in 2008, came with flats and they were still on until the change. I almost lost interest in the bass with those flats, then I put D'Addario halfrounds on it and suddenly it was pure joy to play it.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Hamer_SS_guy said:

Another minor thing, but to great effect, I put on new strings on my fretless Fender Bass. I bought it in 2008, came with flats and they were still on until the change. I almost lost interest in the bass with those flats, then I put D'Addario halfrounds on it and suddenly it was pure joy to play it.

Old, well used, broken-in flatwounds on a bass is where the vintage 'funk' is said to be, otherwise they supposedly sound like any other 'modern' bass.  From a Bass Player article on flatwound bass strings:

"The La Bella 760-series flats can be generally described as full and punchy, with a taut feel. They start out remarkably bright, which may turn off those not willing to go through the break-in period.  Body chemistry, environment, and amount of use will affect how long this phase lasts, but it is said that famed Philadelphia International session man Ronnie Baker marinated his strings in mayonnaise to speed up the process (as well as using duct tape and paper towels to mute the strings at the bridge!)."  :blink:

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/the-best-flatwound-bass-guitar-strings-how-to-choose-the-right-flatwounds-for-you

Edited by crunchee
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Dasein said:

WE NEED PICS OF THIS pedal

Finished like crap, uneven across the entire length of the thing, sharp corners everywhere, uneven surfaces, gaps, the top half wiggles on the bottom and there's no way to tighten it because the guy used freaking rivets! Too cheap to use machine screws? I waited almost six months for this?  WTF? UTTER PIECE OF GARBAGE!

#LoopMaster

#LoopMaster Switcher

#LoopMaster Switcher Review

#CRAP

#Bad Customer Service

#Bad Product

Here ya go.

IMG_7907.jpeg

IMG_7906.jpeg

IMG_7904.jpeg

IMG_7902.jpeg

IMG_7900.jpeg

IMG_7898.jpeg

IMG_7896.jpeg

IMG_7895.jpeg

IMG_7894.jpeg

IMG_7892.jpeg

IMG_7887.jpeg

IMG_7886.jpeg

IMG_7885.jpeg

IMG_7880.jpeg

Edited by gtrdaddy
  • Like 1

Score: Vox Virage SC Custom. Simply a brilliant guitar.

IMG_0384.jpeg

Fail: Boss GT-1000. Just can't bond with it, which surprised me after great success with the Katana and MS-3. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jwhitcomb3 said:

Score: Vox Virage SC Custom. Simply a brilliant guitar.

IMG_0384.jpeg 

That is just gorgeous! Congrats.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 1:08 PM, gtrdaddy said:

Finished like crap, uneven across the entire length of the thing, sharp corners everywhere, uneven surfaces, gaps, the top half wiggles on the bottom and there's no way to tighten it because the guy used freaking rivets! Too cheap to use machine screws? I waited almost six months for this?  WTF? UTTER PIECE OF GARBAGE!

#LoopMaster

#LoopMaster Switcher

#LoopMaster Switcher Review

#CRAP

#Bad Customer Service

#Bad Product

Here ya go.

IMG_7907.jpeg

IMG_7906.jpeg

IMG_7904.jpeg

IMG_7902.jpeg

IMG_7900.jpeg

IMG_7898.jpeg

IMG_7896.jpeg

IMG_7895.jpeg

IMG_7894.jpeg

IMG_7892.jpeg

IMG_7887.jpeg

IMG_7886.jpeg

IMG_7885.jpeg

IMG_7880.jpeg

That is absolute horrible craftsmanship!!! Look’s like a first effort from the high school ag shop!!

• Thanks 1

I think my best 2019 score is a 1960AX - 4x12 -  Marshall cab, with 1990s Greenbacks.Looks like new. Paid about 150 dollars for it. Bargain of the year!

• Like 3

Acupuncture! after 2 years of physical therapy for nerve damage in my right hand, I can sense/feel something with my finger's again!   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Carl.B said:

Acupuncture! after 2 years of physical therapy for nerve damage in my right hand, I can sense/feel something with my finger's again!   

That, Sir, is the best score to date on this board. Congratulations!

• Like 2

Best buy of 2019 for me was a Boss ES-5.  No surprises - it does exactly what its supposed to.  Its also dead quiet, built like a tank, quality switches and jacks... great product!

Pedalboard-12-19.jpg

• Like 1

My biggest win for 2019: I didn't buy anything.

My biggest fail for 2019: I didn't buy anything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Didn't buy much in 2019 due to a lot going personally - moved twice, sold two houses, bought one house, started a new job. BUT...this was a huge win. Love love love my Hamers, but this McCarty 594 is just perfect in every way.

fBi16GI.jpg

Edited by gwayne
Grammar
  • Like 6

Yes to 594s......They come in various configurations, but PRS sure got the idea right with this series.......Had to grab one this past year to prove it for myself.

43211637544_d9a8080189_b.jpg

Edited by django49
  • Like 4

I'm pretty sure I didn't buy anything last year. 

• Haha 1

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 7:56 PM, crunchee said:

Old, well used, broken-in flatwounds on a bass is where the vintage 'funk' is said to be, otherwise they supposedly sound like any other 'modern' bass.

Yes, that is what it is said. But the flatwound string didn't give me the sound I was aiming for. I could imagine using flatwounds on a P-Bass would have a nice vintage funk sound. But I spent 1700 Euros on this modern bass, and I bought this model bass, because I loved the fretted version so much. I wanted it to sound modern. I then watched a YT clip of a guy playing a Guild B-301A fretless and he got the kind of sound I was looking for, and I got  this more modern bass and wasn't able to get even near the sound I was looking for.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 1:56 PM, crunchee said:

Old, well used, broken-in flatwounds on a bass is where the vintage 'funk' is said to be, otherwise they supposedly sound like any other 'modern' bass.

Yep - that's what Laura Lee says.

...and I listen to EVERYTHING she says!

ECgjlNYXoAQVu3r?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by kizanski
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, kizanski said:

She speaks too?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

She speaks too?

She's a multitalent.  

• Haha 3

I will admit to being a soft touch now and then. Manage to get a little bit of a deal on this last year. An added bonus was getting to meet Adam Miller and spend some time with him while he was in Portland.

40542019443_68eec64688_h.jpg

Edited by django49
  • Like 4

A little late but what the heck:

Win: The decision to let my Roland TDK 25 go (even it happened finally just two days ago). So more time for guitars again. Guess you can only ride one horse at a time.

Loss: No purchase in 2019. But some stories here are pretty inspiring... 😎

• Like 2

On 2/16/2020 at 8:38 PM, kizanski said:

What's she playing? Pretty much looks like a 3-neck bass...on stilettos.

Edited by gorch
  • Like 2