Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New Soldanos: NAMM '20 Demos

RobB

I loved my old HR50 head. That thing breathed fire, what a sound! 

Too bad the SLO30 doesn’t have the footswitch function. That still won’t dissuade me from at least trying one out. I doubt they’ll have any Bay Area dealers, though. Maybe Bananas At Large in Marin Co?

I'm curious since this and a number of other products are now built by Boutique Amps Distribution.  Does anyone know who owns/runs them?  Their website has zero info the company.  Is it just me or is that weird?  It seems purposeful that they don't have this info anywhere.

5 hours ago, scottcald said:

I'm curious since this and a number of other products are now built by Boutique Amps Distribution.  Does anyone know who owns/runs them?  Their website has zero info the company.  Is it just me or is that weird?  It seems purposeful that they don't have this info anywhere.

They may simply be their own entity, not associated with any larger company. Most likely they want to keep all the info/press focused on the brands they build and market.  I would guess maybe one of the brands is one they started with, and then after setting up the factory, realized that there was a market for "contract" boutique amplifier manufacturing.

47 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

They may simply be their own entity, not associated with any larger company. Most likely they want to keep all the info/press focused on the brands they build and market.  I would guess maybe one of the brands is one they started with, and then after setting up the factory, realized that there was a market for "contract" boutique amplifier manufacturing.

I didn't necessarily think they're associated with some large company, but I'd think just talking about who's in leadership there and their passion for guitar products wouldn't be out of bounds.  As it is, to me they appear as the antithesis - a nameless, faceless corporation.   My suspicion is that it's Dave Friedman and maybe a partner or two, but no real evidence to bolster that.  

If they're still made in the USA by people who 'care', I'm interested.

The above clip really bothered me - 1) the interviewer had NO CLUE what Soldano amps are, and who plays them?  How did this guy get a job with Premier Guitar?  He's clueless....2) the guitarist was a one-lick-pony who had ZERO creativity in the riff-department.  They DID make some great guitar music in the 1990s, folks...and those kids buy amplifiers.

14 hours ago, scottcald said:

Whois info for the site references egnater.com, which also happens to have the same physical address. Not sure if Bruce still owns Egnater, last I knew he was trying to get it back from Rocktron? like 15 years ago maybe? No idea.

At any rate, it seems to be connected with Egnater somehow. Yet Egnater is not listed on the BAD site. Weird indeed.

56 minutes ago, Tortious said:

Whois info for the site references egnater.com, which also happens to have the same physical address. Not sure if Bruce still owns Egnater, last I knew he was trying to get it back from Rocktron? like 15 years ago maybe? No idea.

At any rate, it seems to be connected with Egnater somehow. Yet Egnater is not listed on the BAD site. Weird indeed.

Thanks, my suspicion is it's Dave Friedman's thing, and if so, why not tell folks?

I'm not sure who owns BAD, but they do manufacturing for quite a few boutique brands,  small companies that want to stay on the design end of things.

3 hours ago, geoff_hartwell said:

Has anyone ever owned one of the Jet City Soldano licensed amps?

They were made in China, so may not have any resemblance internally.

Were they ever a thing to mod?

Yes, you could even get them modded by Jet City. The JC20 sound great even at low gain and low volumes. I think IMHO they sound great with out the mods, I think most were looking to taylor the high gain stuff, and I watched people pour a few hundred bucks into an amp that cost a few hundred bucks. Maybe they should have just bought a better amp? 

1 hour ago, scottcald said:

Or a bunch of them? 😁

That's like owning a dozen or so Epiphone Les Pauls when for the same outlay of cash you could have had 2 or 3 actual Gibsons.

17 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

Building an amp is low skilled labor.  You show someone a dozen times, watch them do it dozen more and they are trained.   Don’t confuse amp assembly with amplifier design and engineering.  

That’s not what my amp engineer says...

9 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

If you see any old Marshall factory photos you will see it's a bunch of women setup like a sweatshop soldering all day. 

24 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

That’s not what my amp engineer says...

I was playing off of the “my luthier” bit silly.

Archived