Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2020 PSA: If you buy it you're stuck with it!

bubs_42

I haven't seen the gear market this bad since 08/09, this might actually be worse heading into 2020. Lots of things are very tempting because of the low prices, but the prices are too low to take a chance of something you may not like. Happy Hunting! 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is good for me as 2020 is the year I return to buying.  I did most of my flipping and selling from ‘04-‘10. I’ve since been disciplined enough to research ad nauseum before buying. This increases the likelihood I’ll keep what I buy for a long time. It also increases the likelihood that all y’all get real tired of my questions as I gather as much info as possible...

This might be interesting for me. The Fender MIM "Jim Root Jazzmaster" would be nice for stuff I used my FB for, I'd eventually put a trem on it, Schaller vintage or Floyd Rose NFT. And I also like EMG's and it even has an bound ebony board with blocks.

fb2_Jazzmaster.jpg

Yeah, this time of year always sucks for selling.  

I will say this though - Good pictures and writing a decent ad helps a lot.  I've moved guitars when their were older postings for the same models for about the same price as those listings I think because I try to take at least OK pictures and actually bother to try and sell the guitar a little in my ad. 

14 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

Music is a hobby, I assume it will never generate a profit.  

Ha, yeah.  I tend to look at selling gear more as minimizing my losses rather than ever breaking even or making any money.  I've even rationalized any losses I take as the cost to "rent" that instrument for however long I had it. 

10 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

losses I take as the cost to "rent" that instrument for however long I had it. 

*THIS*

26 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

Ha, yeah.  I tend to look at selling gear more as minimizing my losses rather than ever breaking even or making any money.  I've even rationalized any losses I take as the cost to "rent" that instrument for however long I had it. 

Yeah I buy to enjoy and they sell for whatever the market says. Even at peak prices my little collection of toys might buy me three months of retirement. Or my kid can open a museum of odd mid-tier instruments when I’m gone. 

5 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

I haven't seen the gear market this bad since 08/09, this might actually be worse heading into 2020. Lots of things are very tempting because of the low prices, but the prices are too low to take a chance of something you may not like. Happy Hunting! 

Hey, I’m doing my bit, bubs! You just need to start letting go of the good stuff. Don’t be holdin’ out & hatin’. 

This guitar is at a local pawnshop for $370 out the door, and even I don't want to bring it home.

It's an $1100 dollar guitar that's in mint condition with the stickers still on it.

The Evertune bridge that comes stock on it is $500 by itself.

The only reason I'd buy it is for a flip,but for some reason I can't bring myself to do it.

I'm REALLY trying now days to be pickier with my scores.

I've passed on A LOT of good deals lately  that I'd have snatched up without even thinking a few years ago.

esp-ltd-ec-1000-et-evertune-blk.jpg

12 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

I keep hearing how amazing your economy is.... I mean - everybody is working down there and has sacks of $$$ around the house right? Gear should be flying off the shelves right?

26 minutes ago, Dasein said:

I keep hearing how amazing your economy is.... I mean - everybody is working down there and has sacks of $$$ around the house right? Gear should be flying off the shelves right?

I believe what @bubs_42 is referring to is the fact that the market is flooded with tons of used gear. A lot of competition for the sale. 

I won’t speak to anyone’s having “sacks of cash”, but, yes, the US economy is smokin’ right now. 

21 minutes ago, Dasein said:

Why is selling outPacing buying if the economy is so hot?

I don’t think it is. Maybe here at the HFC with all us BAMFs LOL. Essentially I think the there are less guitar players today, and for seven decades the manufacturers had been building as much as they could. That leaves us with seven decades of used instruments with fewer players and a flooded used instrument market. 

Im not going to debate the economy, I’ve better things to do. All I’ll say is my portfolio is is doing better the last three years than it has since the ‘80s and ‘90s, and not just marginally better, but insanely GREAT.

I was right at Reverb’s 1099 threshold last year as a “hobby” haven’t bought much yet this year. I sold some really nice pieces for far less than what they would of brought when the market was hot but still made a little money on them. Last year was a forced collection reduction. This year I’m hoping to build it up again. So low prices are looking good to me right now !!!

Some instruments will hold value or go for all the normal reasons. For Hamer’s specifically, I don’t see prices going up in general.  Studio Customs have been listing higher in 2019 but maybe not really selling higher. Predictions -

> Good original condition Sunbursts and Standards will be strong in 2020. Rare, historic and beautiful instruments

> Everything later will hold steady.  Some tops/finishes will be stronger.

> Special editions, anniversary, etc. will be a mixed bag.  Collect or play? Lean to collect

> Korina seems to be strong and will remain strong.  Especially good examples of Standards. Not sure I see korina going up a lot as they are at a premium to comparable models

> Super Strats - I don’t follow closely, anyone else care to predict. 

My latest purchase was a pre-assembled 'parts' bass...fully loaded body from a Fender 'Road Worn' 60's Jazz Bass, put together by someone else with a fully loaded neck from a Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass, all MIM.  I bought it basically at parts value, but I bought it to play (I was looking for a fretless anyway), not really as an investment, and definitely not as a collectible; and it plays, sounds, and looks great!  Besides, I didn't see anything else similar that 'fit the bill' as well as this one did.  Plus, I don't usually like Alder bodies because they dent kinda easy...look Ma, factory relic'd finish on the body, so no worries there!  I like it so much, I'm tempted to get the parts together to make another one!  B)  

Archived