Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What is up with Japan and EBay guitars?

jginsj

For instance, I searched on “Fender American Standard Telecaster”.  This resulted in 147 items...126 from Japan. The prices seem to be way more than we would pay locally. What is going on??  Seems to be becoming the case with all major brands.  

1 hour ago, jginsj said:

The prices seem to be way more than we would pay locally. What is going on??  Seems to be becoming the case with all major brands.  

It is the result of currency exchange rates. Has zero to do with eBay or Fender.

I screen my ebay searches for US-only or North America only and don’t have those issues!  😉

Here's the deal -- In Japan you'll see the same guitar listed for sale by multiple different people -- because none of those people own the guitar -- they just list it and wait for someone to buy it from them -- then they run down to where the guitar actually is - and pay whoever actually owns it for it - then they ship it to you.... so you'll see several things: Multiple listings for the same guitars making it look like there is a boat load of them for sale but there are really only a few pieces. Relatively high prices.... because for the most part these guitars still sell domestically in Japan and those prices are a reflection of their Japan based value - and because these guys are not sitting on inventory they have to move or turn over, they can just sit on high prices until the cows come home. The pushes up the appearance of the guitar's value but it is a fiction...  sure - someone from Denver might buy a guitar every once in a blue moon at those prices - but they are hardly market prices - they are anomalies... it's better to ignore them... the other issue is - Joe from Seattle goes on eBay and sees those Japanese prices for his guitars and it screws with his own sense of what the guitar is worth so his guitar doesn't sell because he prices it too high because he thought it was worth more.

Archived