Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Rick Nielsen buys a ‘59 LP

Greg G

I just told my wife that rick Nielsen bought Geddy Lee’s 1959 Les Paul at Mecum for $215,000. 

she looked at me and said, “do we have that guitar?”

me: “do we have a 1959 Les Paul....? no...”

wife: “I thought maybe if we had that then you should sell it...”

1 minute ago, Travis said:

I just told my wife that rick Nielsen bought Geddy Lee’s 1959 Les Paul at Mecum for $215,000. 

she looked at me and said, “do we have that guitar?”

me: “do we have a 1959 Les Paul....? no...”

wife: “I thought maybe if we had that then you should sell it...”

PRICELESS!

Just now, Studio Custom said:

You’d think it would be worth more given Geddy’s ownership.  

But it’s not like Geddy Lee was known for playing it...

It would have to have a massive inflation to have Hamers sell in that range IMO.

Nice condition but not any flame I could see.  I think Ed King’s Les Paul went for more but not a lot more.  I can imagine Rick can say he played it a sell it at a profit later.  IF I had that scratch I would have paid that price.

I'm just kinda surprised he didn't already have one. They were relatively "easy" to get back then, and it seems like everyone from that time frame had one or two, maybe more.

20 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

I'm just kinda surprised he didn't already have one. They were relatively "easy" to get back then, and it seems like everyone from that time frame had one or two, maybe more.

I seem to remember that he used to have a few in his collection. Who said he didn’t have any? Did I miss something?

1 hour ago, gtrdaddy said:

I seem to remember that he used to have a few in his collection. Who said he didn’t have any? Did I miss something?

Looks he does, my mistake. Gibson even replicated it for a collector's choice series.  Just seemed odd, with word a few years back of him downsizing his collection, deciding to add a big ticket item like this, when he's already got one.  Maybe the darker finish?

“My oldest electric is the first Les Paul I ever bought; the 1955 Goldtop.”

By "downsizing", he was mostly just selling off the crap (with one or two notable exceptions). He still has a stellar collection and is still picking up things.

Archived