Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Best Vocal Microphone (price not a major concern)

The Shark

Question

Okay.  We've been playing out again for about two years.  Sixteen gigs, some better than others.  I'm using the old SM-58 from decades ago. We use the Line 6 Stagescape board, powered Mackie 1x15 powered cabs and two 1x15 JBL subs.  Volume is not an issue, and we're very pleased with what we're getting out of the PA and monitor mixes.  I just want to have a better vocal microphone.  Something that's an improvement over the SM-58.  I just feel like there's something head and shoulders above the 58.

Thanks in advance.  

16 answers to this question

Shure is always good.  Lots of other good ones too.  I like the Audix stuff - OM2, OM5 are both really good and also hypercardioid like the Betas.  If price really isn't a concern, Neumann makes really nice condenser mic, the KMS 105.  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KMS105Nickel--neumann-kms-105-handheld-condenser-microphone-nickel  and Telefunken makes one as well, though I haven't heard it.  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M80Blk--telefunken-m80-handheld-dynamic-vocal-microphone-black  Also, the EV N/D 767 is nice, but they haven't made it in a while, you'll have to hunt for one.  The newer replacement for that I've read a couple of unfavorable reviews.  

7 hours ago, scottcald said:

Shure is always good.  Lots of other good ones too.  I like the Audix stuff - OM2, OM5 are both really good and also hypercardioid like the Betas.  If price really isn't a concern, Neumann makes really nice condenser mic, the KMS 105.  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KMS105Nickel--neumann-kms-105-handheld-condenser-microphone-nickel  and Telefunken makes one as well, though I haven't heard it.  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M80Blk--telefunken-m80-handheld-dynamic-vocal-microphone-black  Also, the EV N/D 767 is nice, but they haven't made it in a while, you'll have to hunt for one.  The newer replacement for that I've read a couple of unfavorable reviews.  

Imagine being a soundman and having someone think it is cool to drop the mic with your $700 Neumann. 

29 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Imagine being a soundman and having someone think it is cool to drop the mic with your $700 Neumann. 

Well, I kind of don't have to imagine.  Some years ago, I'd bought some Audix OM5s and an EV ND767a  and the band I was in used them.  I bought them because I know the other guys, especially the lead vocalist would've bought the cheapest mic there is.  The guy on lead vocals decides to "drop the mic" at the end of the first set.  He was still basking in his own ego when I yelled at him that if he wanted to do that kind of thing or if he did it again, he'd have to buy his own microphone and pay for any damage to mine.   

8 hours ago, scottcald said:

+1 on the EV N/D 767a from a couple years ago. I love mine. Very loud compared to a 58. It also doubles as a great studio mic all-a rounder. I have used it on a kick drum with stellar results.I also like the Audix stuff a lot.

The drop the mic phenomenon needs to go away.

Be careful when buying Beta 58's ... there are a LOT of fakes out there .... I've been using Audix OM2's and they are great. Indestructible, sound great, and don't feedback easily .... highly recommend.

I've used a bunch of different mics over the decades. Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Shure, AKG. 

The one that I have been using for the last several years and love is the Shure Beta 87. I bring mine to every gig and always get compliments on how it sounds when compared to other mics on stage. One of the guys that I have been playing with went out and bought one cause he didn't like how his Sennheiser sounded next to my 87.

It is a condenser that requires phantom power.

My $.02.

3 hours ago, Camstone said:

The one that I have been using for the last several years and love is the Shure Beta 87

I used Beta 57 and 58’s for years until I sang into a Sennheiser e935. I liked how it sounded on my voice. And that is an important thing to look at with vocal mic’s. Different “colors” sound better with certain voices. If I could afford to do a front line with Beta 87’s I’d do it in a heartbeat. That mic sounds good on everybody’s voice!! They’re durable too!! For now I’m diggin my e935’s !!!

We're mostly 58's at church with one 87 that is reserved for the more 'advanced' vocalists. The 87 sounds better, but, being a condenser, if the vocalist doesn't have good handling skills you can get some issues with proximity effect. Those that can use it prefer it greatly.

ETA: just finished sound check and realized I wasn't as detailed as I should have been. The other mic is a Beta 87A. Great mic for the more experienced vocalist.

I've replaced my trusty SM 58s with Sennhieser E935s and couldn't be happier. Gorgeous sound, great off axis feedback rejection. Easy to find. $179 new but you can score them on Reverb in the $95 - $125 range pretty consistently. 

Archived