Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Split volume knobs on Studio Custom

BruceM

Question

I decided to play my Studio Custom at practice last night, and during warmup I felt a slight imperfection on one of the volume knobs. Closer inspection revealed a crack through the knob, and with a little further fiddling, the knob broke in half and came off. Moments later, the other volume knob exhibited the same problem. Both knobs were broken almost cleanly in half, and the tone knob doesn't appear to have the same defect. I inspected the guitar to see if there were additional damage, but I didn't see any evidence of impact or anything else. Has anyone seen this before on guitar that has spent most of it's time in a case?

They're the standard amber top hat knobs. I'm considering replacing them with speed knobs for a different look.

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, BruceM said:

I decided to play my Studio Custom at practice last night, and during warmup I felt a slight imperfection on one of the volume knobs. Closer inspection revealed a crack through the knob, and with a little further fiddling, the knob broke in half and came off. Moments later, the other volume knob exhibited the same problem. Both knobs were broken almost cleanly in half, and the tone knob doesn't appear to have the same defect. I inspected the guitar to see if there were additional damage, but I didn't see any evidence of impact or anything else. Has anyone seen this before on guitar that has spent most of it's time in a case?

They're the standard amber top hat knobs. I'm considering replacing them with speed knobs for a different look.

"Has anyone seen this before on guitar that has spent most of it's time in a case?"

Little cracks, yes.  But breaks like you described, no.

A lot of the amber knobs on the Hamers I've owned have had cracks in them. Even the 30th Anniversary. Never actually broke one, though. And it's only on Hamers and only the amber knobs. Other types/colors haven't been an issue, and other guitar brands with similar amber knobs never had a problem.

One of the knobs on my talladega cracked on the inside and when I went to turn the knob a piece on the inside broke off so the knob wouldn’t sit on the pot shaft cleanly. I Gorilla glued the broken piece back on and haven’t had an issue with it since...

My Artist Korina HB has one cracked BLACK knob...and the Special Korina  Jr I bought from @srvwannab and then sold back to him had one cracked BLACK knob, IIRC...it isn’t exclusive to just the amber knobs.

Archived