Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Boss Waza Amp Expander - Game Changer!

The Boss Waza Amp Expander.

This is an amazing piece of kit (Love that British expression). Some of you all may not know about it, or what it can do for you. But, OMG, its freakin' awesome.

OK, here's my Top 10 reasons to have one...

1) The Amp Attenuator. Completely transparent. I cannot hear a difference between the amp direct to cab and through the Waza. It's that good. We all get asked to turn down at gigs by the soundperson. Its always a trade-off to run a nice tube amp cookin' to get 'that tone'. Not anymore. I can get it now at any volume. Crank the amp to your sweet spot. The Waza does the rest.  It gives you 16 Resonance and Presence tone settings to tweak the tone and feel if you want. Like running a small low-powered amp into a 4x12 for a bigger tone or tightening up a loose sounding amp. Or, run a 100 watt head into a nice, easy to carry, low wattage 1x12. Better on your back! 

2) Not only does it Attenuate DOWN, it goes the other way too. It has a built in 100 watt amp that can boost up a small amp. Say, you love your little Princeton or a 5, 10watt amp. Now, you keep the little amp exactly where you like it for a clean tone etc. Then, run that amp into the Waza. You can boost it up to gig level and still keep the small amp tone you love. 

3) Built-in EFX. You get Reverb, Delay, Compression, EQ/Boost, Cab Sim. They sound great. And multiples of each effect, not just one type of Delay etc. They sound super clean and clear when they are inserted internally in the Amp section of the unit vs. an EFX loop of your amp. Sure, you can do either, but I love they way these sound here in the chain. 

4) The Built-in EFX EQ Function is so useful. You can do different things with it. For one, I play all kinds of guitars, Humbuckers, Single coils, P90 etc. With the EQ, I can save settings for each guitar to match them a little better. Sometimes the Strats/Teles can be a bit bright compared to my Lesters. I can create a preset to match them better. Love this! Second, you can use the EQ like an EQ or as a Clean Boost or both! You can save each guitar setting as a footswitchable "RIG".

5) You can save all your setting (Not the Attenuator though) but all the EFX, Loop, Reverb, EQ as a "RIG" You get 10 presets. I have them setup for Lester Clean, Lester with Reverb, Lester Lead Boost, Strat Clean, Strat Reverb, Strat Boost. And a Preset with a custom EQ for my P90 Slide guitar. 

6) There is an optional Footswitch. I bought it. It's OK. They give you new labels for the footswitch to customize the buttons. But, I just prefer a simple MIDI footswitch like the One-control Geko or a MIDI Mouse to change the RIGS. Again, you might dig it more than me. The Waza and footswitch do have some cool functions. Like you can channel change your amp (2-channel amps only) as well as turn EFX, Tap time, Boost/EQ and Loop on/off. I just prefer to simply change the RIGs to do that. You can program so much with MIDI, the Boss footswitch or just use any old footswitch to change EFX on/off if you want. Pretty flexible.

7) There is also a Normal EFX Loop in the Waza. This loop sounds better when inserting my own fav EFX (Ventilator Rotary, Chorus etc) here instead of running them into my amp head loop (Friedman Runt 20 is my fav at the moment) I've never really played with the Serial vs Parallel EFX loop routing options on some heads. I absolutely love the Parallel routing. Serial runs all the outboard EFX full direct which is what most EFX Loops do. Parallel blends both together. You get more of your original signal with the EFX blended in. I sometime find the EFX doesn't always have a mix control (like the Mini Vent rotary) it's really heavy. Now, it sounds perfecto, much bigger and cleaner. Your mileage may vary, but to me, its a no-brainer.

(8) Cab Simulation and XLR Output. Perfect for running to FOH, sounds great. 22 Mic'd Cabs, 9 Speaker Mic types, 5 Room mic types. Plus, you can import 32 of your own speaker cab IR impulses if you want. The choices are huge. 

9) USB in/out for sending your full amp tone and cab sim to a sound card. Also, a really easy to use Computer Editor for all this. Mac/PC compatible. They do need an iPad app, but I bet soon!

10) It's built like a brick house. Solid!! Comes with included Rackmount ears, if you want to put it in a case.

Negatives...
Not many. First, I don't really find the Boss footswitch to work for me. Mostly because you cannot tell which RIG you are on. It just steps through the 10, one at a time. I like the MIDI pedal option as I can tell I'm on RIG 3 and know it's 3. Second, the unit is pretty big, like a small size head. Not a deal-breaker, but, I was surprised at the size. 

Buy one, you will thank me. 
Ernie
Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 6.41.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 6.42.02 AM.pngspacer.pngPedal.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 7.15.19 AM.png

That looks pretty slick Earnie! I like the Waza products. They have all sounded pretty great. Thanks for the detailed review!

BTW:

26 minutes ago, santellavision said:

This is an amazing piece of kit (Love that British expression). Some of you all may not know about it, or what it can do for you.

It makes you sound British.

Nice review, Ernie. 

Point #9 is huge to me (recording full amp tone direct without mics) if the mic & cab simulation is on point.  Do you know whether there are combinations of mics possible, i.e. my beloved combo of a MD421 and a SM-57, or 421/AKG 414?

15 minutes ago, soli'd said:

Nice review, Ernie. 

Point #9 is huge to me (recording full amp tone direct without mics) if the mic & cab simulation is on point.  Do you know whether there are combinations of mics possible, i.e. my beloved combo of a MD421 and a SM-57, or 421/AKG 414?

Funny you ask! I just downloaded the latest firmware and you now get more mics, rooms and mic blends !

WAZA Tube Amp Expander Version 2: More IR Slots and More Microphone Choices

The Version 2 update brings powerful new DI enhancements to the Waza Tube Amp Expander. Speaker impulse response support has been greatly increased, with the number of user IR slots extended from 4 to 32. More microphone choices are also available for the built-in cabs, including a new ribbon mic type, three dynamic/ribbon mic blends, and two different room mic variations.

46 minutes ago, soli'd said:

Nice review, Ernie. 

Here's some more from the new manual.

CAB TYPES

4x12" STANDARD

The sound of a closed-back cabinet equipped with four standard 12-inch speakers.

--------------------------------------------------

4x12" R-FIER

The sound of a Mesa Boogie Recto cabinet (closed-back) equipped with four Celestion Vintage 30 (12-inch) speakers.

4x12" BRIT STACK

The sound of a Marshall 1960B cabinet (closed-back) equipped with four Celestion G12T-75 (12-inch) speakers.

4x12" CLASSIC STACK

The sound of a Marshall 1960B cabinet (closed-back) equipped with four Celestion Greenback (12-inch) speakers.

4x12 Green/ V30

The sound of a Friedman 412 cabinet (closed-back) equipped with two Celestion

Greenback (12-inch) and two Celestion Vintage 30 (12-inch) speakers.

4x12" for FOH

A closed-back cabinet equipped with four standard 12-inch speakers. Well-defined sound that’s appropriate for an FOH mix. 

4x10" STANDARD

The sound of an open-back cabinet equipped with four standard 10-inch speakers.

4x10" SUPER COMBO

The cabinet sound of a Fender Super Reverb. This is an open-back cabinet equipped with four CTS alnico (10-inch) speakers.

4x10" TWEED COMBO

The cabinet sound of a Fender Bassman. This is an open-back cabinet equipped with four Jensen P10R (10-inch) speakers.

4x10" for FOH

An open-back cabinet equipped with four standard 10-inch speakers. Well-defined sound that’s appropriate for an FOH mix.

2x12" STANDARD

The sound of an open-back cabinet equipped with two standard 12-inch speakers.

2x12" DIAMOND AMP

The cabinet sound of a VOX AC30. This is an open-back cabinet equipped with two Celestion Greenback (12-inch) speakers.

2x12" for FOH

An open-back cabinet equipped with two standard 12-inch speakers. Well-defined sound that’s appropriate for an FOH mix.

1x12" STANDARD

The sound of an open-back cabinet equipped with one standard 12-inch speaker.

1x12" TWEED DELUXE

The cabinet sound of a Fender Tweed Deluxe. This is an open-back cabinet equipped with one Jensen P12Q (12-inch) speaker.

1x12" DELUXE COMBO

The cabinet sound of a Fender Deluxe Reverb. This is an open-back cabinet equipped with one Jensen C12K (12-inch) speaker.

1x12" for FOH

An open-back cabinet equipped with one standard 12-inch speaker. Well-defined sound that’s appropriate for an FOH mix.

1x10" STANDARD

The sound of an open-back cabinet equipped with one standard 10-inch speaker. 

1x10" for FOH

An open-back cabinet equipped with one standard 10-inch speaker. Well-defined sound

that’s appropriate for an FOH mix. 

1x8" STANDARD

The sound of an open-back cabinet equipped with one standard 8-inch speaker.

1x8" MINI COMBO

The cabinet sound of a Fender Champ. 

1x8" for FOH

An open-back cabinet equipped with one standard 8-inch speaker. Well-defined sound that’s appropriate for an FOH mix.

USER1–32

You can create an original CAB TYPE by using a dedicated tool to load IR (Impulse Response) data into the WAZA Tube Amp Expander.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIC TYPES

DYN57

This is the sound of the SHURE SM57. General dynamic mic used for instruments and vocals. Optimal for use in miking guitar amps.

DYN421

This is the sound of the SENNHEISER MD 421. Dynamic mic with extended low end.

CND451

This is the sound of the AKG C451B. Small condenser mic for use with instruments.

RBN121

This simulates the sound of the ROYER R-121. Warm and natural ribbon mic sound.

BLEND A

Simulates the blended sound of the SHURE SM57 and ROYER R-121, with the SM57 mixed at a higher level.

BLEND B

Simulates the blended sound of the SHURE SM57 and ROYER R-121, with the mics mixed at equal levels.

BLEND C

Simulates the blended sound of the SHURE SM57 and ROYER R-121, with the R-121 mixed at a higher level.

CND87

This is the sound of the NEUMANN U 87. Condenser mic with flat response.

FLAT

Simulates a mic with perfectly flat response. Produces a sonic image close to that of listening to the sound directly from the speakers (on site).

MIC DISTANCE

SHORT, MEDIUM, LONG

Simulates the distance between the mic and speaker. The distance from the speakers is farther in the order of SHORT<MEDIUM<LONG.

MIC POSITION

This simulates the mic position. CENTER Simulates the condition that the mic is set in the middle of the speaker cone. 1cm-10cm Simulates the condition that the mic is moved away from the center of the speaker cone.

ROOM MIC

ANECHOIC Mix no reflected sound of rooms. SMALL ROOM Mix the reflected sound of small studio rooms. MID ROOM A Mix the less reflected sound of a mid-sized

studio room. MID ROOM B Mix the reflected sound of a mid-sized studio room. BIG ROOM Mix the reflected sound of big studio rooms. MIC LEVEL 0–100 Adjusts the volume of the mic. DIRECT MIX 0–100 Adjusts the volume of the direct sound (the sound with the speaker turned off).

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 9.01.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-23 at 9.01.39 AM.png

I love mine too. Just recently loaded the new firmware and really like the new mic combos with stock cabs. I currently have my TAE sitting on the top of my DIY Friedman style build head in my home office. No cab just the head directly into TAE plugged into computer. Listening through my headphones or studio monitors. It's so easy to do recordings nowadays at home and silently if you wish.

Absolutely the best piece of gear I bought in 2019. Now I just wish I didn't sell my old Marshall JMP1987 and JMP2203. Would have been a real fun to test them with a treble booster and volume cranked up.

Here's something for you Priest fans. I wanted to do a test and played the guitar tracks with the mentioned amp/TAE combo on the gtr backing track found from web:

The Sentinel: https://1drv.ms/u/s!At6u8iaqSoGdhMI-FjdkM-P7a3HwIw

Rock Hard Ride Free: https://1drv.ms/u/s!At6u8iaqSoGdhMI_OvACCbQ0asSxBA

1032743708_20191211_142341s.jpg.7dd90faa6337e1e330bbe96cd02f06a2.jpg

19 hours ago, rallye440 said:

I wanted to do a test and played the guitar tracks with the mentioned amp/TAE combo on the gtr backing track found from web

That sounds great & nice playing too.  Just so I'm clear, 100% of the guitars is the TAE?

I'm going to have to get one of these. I've been in the modeling game since the Fractals came out but I never sold my tube gear.

3 hours ago, Devnor said:

That sounds great & nice playing too.  Just so I'm clear, 100% of the guitars is the TAE?

I'm going to have to get one of these. I've been in the modeling game since the Fractals came out but I never sold my tube gear.

Thanks! Yes all the guitars are TAE. Rhythm and lead parts. Just my Hamer Vector KK and Amfisound Roundhorn guitars straight into amp and TAE. Some FX and EQ added in Cubase. There were some some guitar sounds on backing tracks but I overdubbed them too. I also owned an AxeFX II a couple of years ago. It was a really nice and great sounding modeler but not as good as a good tube amp  though.

Both these backing tracks and lots of other can be find here: https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

20200104_152734.jpg

2 minutes ago, jginsj said:

Oh dear God these things are expensive!  Dammit to hell, I must have one...and I said 2019 was the year I'd get my tone from my fingers, not my pocketbook.  Crap.

2019 is over! Git back to buying! 🥳

Here in Europe one of those units cost as much as my whole Marshall rig, a 1973 Marshall JMP and a 1960AX cab. Jeeezz. I really want one, but that is just a bit to much.... 😞

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 4:21 PM, rallye440 said:

Thanks! Yes all the guitars are TAE. Rhythm and lead parts. Just my Hamer Vector KK and Amfisound Roundhorn guitars straight into amp and TAE. Some FX and EQ added in Cubase. There were some some guitar sounds on backing tracks but I overdubbed them too. I also owned an AxeFX II a couple of years ago. It was a really nice and great sounding modeler but not as good as a good tube amp  though.

Both these backing tracks and lots of other can be find here: https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

20200104_152734.jpg

That white 1 Hum V is awesome dude!!

Archived