Hamer Fan Club Message Center

HFC meetup (O'Connor content)

DBraz

The other day Bennyboy-UK popped over for a catch-up and brought along some toys.   He brought his awe inspiring SS1 Marble O'Connor, his Chaparral Snakeskin O'Connor, his magnificent Vintage-S Custom order and a few others.    In turn he had a play on the majority of my Hamer's in addition to the Shishkov's.    I love playing guitars, and especially Hamer's and Shishkov's, but sharing them over an afternoon will a like minded soul is fantastic.  

Ben's SS1 O'Connor really is a special guitar.  It was an uber clean example and oozes class as the best O'Connor finishes always do on a Hamer.  Lovely combination of sound's too and I swear the O'Connor finish makes you play better.

His Chaparral was lovely in an honest rocky 80's way and did all the right things.

The Vintage-S Custom.  Wow.  Serious custom order that one and spec'd by a player.  3 on/off toggle switches for pickups, volume, mid-boost and "stratifier" pots.  I don't actually know if its called a "stratifier" but turning the pot up to MAX elicits a very useable convincing strat tone.  Wind it back down and you're in rocker territory.  It's like witchcraft.  Ebony board, micro dots and get this - how often do you have a 1 piece QUILTED maple body?

Nearing "home time" it was suggested that we, at the very least, get an O'Connor group shot.  Also a few of Ben's lovely O'Connor Marble SS1 in isolation.

I'm into double figures meeting HFC brethren now and its always a pleasure.  Rock on!!

DSC09129-2.jpg

DSC09140-4.jpg

DSC09141-2.jpg

Anyway, back to Davids original post...

We had a great day and a lovely family to meet :)

I thoroughly enjoyed AxeFX3 and its ridiculous how it feels to play even more so about how it sounds (which is amazing - needless to say!). And how it feels is exactly like I expect nice valve amplifiers to sound. aaaaaaaand when you stick it and its little rack on top of a very swish Friedman FR amp and speaker enclosure - it looks great anywhere in the house. That got me thinking...

I felt such a lucky boy to have the opportunity to try out so many guitars! A couple of Shishkovs which were fabulous - both different, but both just the most beautifully made things. Both play and sound wonderful!.

I was blown away by that Virtuoso however.... So inspirational to play, the scale length makes you think about what you want to play and makes it less of an instinctive action to whack out all the stuff thats committed to muscle memory, and be a bit more deliberate and thoughtful. The scalloped board was no issue to adjust to - I don't really grind the strings into the fingerboard when I play so it felt normal - just a bit more purchase when bending strings.

That Ice Pearl Snakeskin just GLOWS compared to my old Chap (ahem!) which is a much flatter finish side by side - maybe non pearl snakeskin...  that Virt is clean clean clean - I couldn't spot a mark on it.

Based on all of that - I think I'd really like one... hint hint

Double neck Cali?- yeah, its OK I suppose, if you like that sort of thing ;) 

Don't all the O'Connors look great together?

Its always great fun to have a play with someone else who shares a passion for guitars and we had a cool time trading a few licks on such a great collection of guitars between us!

We'll be doing that again for sure!

I remember watching you sit down with the Double Cali on your knee thinking “Mmm..  The 12 string looks a LOT higher than normal” but you still strung out some very cool 12 string chords.  Nice!

The Virt is definitely marmite.  Some can’t adjust to the scale length.  Especially if they have small fingers.  It also takes a light touch (which you mentioned) and rewards commitment.  I love them.

You didn’t mention the T62?  I thought you got some great sounds out of that.  Rolled off the volume just-so.

What is the collective noun for O’Connor Hamer’s?  😃

2 hours ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

Double neck Cali?- yeah, its OK I suppose, if you like that sort of thing ;) 

....if you like totally, totally cool unique and monstrous sounding instrument (I do!) - I mean its EPIC in every way! (I also want this one!!) - and it not even that heavy!

T62 was super cool - amazing construction, and the preamp gives you Moarrrrrr-strat - I'd forgotten all about that sound - having been in a zone of Bridge Humbucker for about 4 years!!

Archived