Hamer Fan Club Message Center

BOUTIQUE GUITARS

My brother in law always goes to NAMM and he went this year and saw some of these guitars....................I know some of the members here own what would be termed a "BOUTIQUE" guitar..................any likes or takers for these ?..................some ARE pretty cool,but oh the price,I hate to ask!

This video amply illustrates how time and repetition color my aesthetic tastes and preferences. I'd make a lousy critic of new designs given my affinity for the classics I grew up with. Most of these had little to no appeal. Why mess with success? was my reoccurring knee jerk reaction. In my puny, insignificant world, designs like the Strat, the Lester, the Standard, Californian and Star still are top dogs. Everything else seems derivative and/or watered down. Or just plain ugly. But that's long term conditioning for ya. :P

6 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

This video amply illustrates how time and repetition color my aesthetic tastes and preferences. I'd make a lousy critic of new designs given my affinity for the classics I grew up with. Most of these had little to no appeal. Why mess with success? was my reoccurring knee jerk reaction. In my puny, insignificant world, designs like the Strat, the Lester, the Standard, Californian and Star still are top dogs. Everything else seems derivative and/or watered down. Or just plain ugly. But that's long term conditioning for ya. :P

And many people felt the same way when anything other than a Tele came out.  

In the end, they are chasing an increasingly smaller market which are also dominated by the buyers of few industry box stores.  

11 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

And many people felt the same way when anything other than a Tele came out.  

In the end, they are chasing an increasingly smaller market which are also dominated by the buyers of few industry box stores.  

Yup. As with the world of art, music & film making, we're seeing less innovation and invention and more and more revisiting of classics and already established themes and concepts. I'm of the notion that there is a finite amount of visual variations and as each year passes it becomes more difficult to find them. Then there's the issue of subjective assessment. I believe Nathan of Brain Fertilizer has amply shown that one man's butt-ugly potato-looking thing is another man's beauteous guitar. 😉

I went to NAMM this month and there was so much guitar bling that I became desensitized to it after a while. It's kind of like when Syndrome (in the first Incredibles film) notes, 'when everyone is super, no one is'. Kind of like, when everyone in the class gets an 'A', 'A' is sort of the average so how can anyone be truly 'above average'? The point is, when everything is blingy pretty, nothing really stands out. It made me appreciate what I already had at home all the more. Honestly, I wouldn't trade my dinged up Cali for a single guitar there, and I'm serious about that. And I'll bet it plays every bit as the best guitar there. 

Anyhow, I'm with Jim. I think most any reasonably good design has been done and everything is a variation on them. Sure, one can always try to be different, but at some point "different" isn't at all better, and is usually worse. But even "innovators" have their influences. 

In any case, that was my first NAMM show, but it sort of had a different effect on me than I had thought it would have. 

On 1/28/2020 at 2:22 PM, cynic said:

Lots of nonsense in that video, but this Wide Sky stood out.

image.png

Yes, this is the one that stood out to me as well. but I would never be able to deal with the location of the pickup toggle. WTF?

On 2/2/2020 at 8:36 AM, Camstone said:

Yes, this is the one that stood out to me as well. but I would never be able to deal with the location of the pickup toggle. WTF?

Yeah that location would  really be a problem for most any guitarist one would think..

Archived