Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer T62 - An American made powerhouse

The moment you pickup it up, you feel the small scale body, expertly crafted neck, delightful looking and feeling fretboard; makes this a very easy guitar to play. You are guaranteed to try new things on this guitar. You will play differently because everything about it, frees you up.

When I received it I was not sure what to expect. Well I knew it would be a better Strat clone but it's the details that make it so. Like every guitar I receive, you just tune it up and play it to see how it feels.
Then you make whatever adjustment you can make to your playing preference.

Plugged it in and no sound so now it's time investigate. No Battery. Easy fix. None in the house to I had to wait a day.

Next day. Installed that battery and started playing. Spent 30 minutes just nodding.
I realized it came with 8 gauge strings. Well time for a change. Before the new strings went on it, I look under the hood.
Nice 3 individual single coil pickup routes with tight wiring so I could not take the whole pickguard off.
Pickups are Duncans (probably SSL). Took the back plates off and took off the tremolo. The trem weighs 9.5 oz.
Control cavity looks nice and all wiring channeled nicely. Neck pocket and heel are precisely cut and the fit is perfect.
I did notice there is a small channel groove between the tremolo post. Not sure the explanation but it is nicely done.
Input jack on the back side and upside down so there it ergonomics here so you don't accidentally pull out the plug while playing on stage.
Since I am a home player it's really doesn't matter; but a nice touch by Hamer.

Now the 10 gauge strings are on the guitar and string spacing is perfect. Tuned it up and some slight tweaks with truss rod and intonation was needed.
Started playing, feels good, feels right. Flipped the switch and there is a nice boost. Whoa perfect for opening riffs of any kick ass song and leads.
Now this is where I got lost in noodling for the next one hour. Trying to see how I was playing differently than my other Strats, Tele, Gretsch and PRS etc....

The neck - the birdeye are glorious, profile is C shape and even all the way but with the flatter radius of 14 inches it very sublime.
Meaning your hand just falls right in and all position are comfortable. The neck heel is contoured so basically it feels familiar everytime you pick it up.
No matter what fret you're playing it feels like you've been doing it for a long long time. This is a well playing broken in neck.

Now mind you every guitar with it's body shape and neck profile, we all play differently and that's a good thing.
Here the same thing; the smaller body and a nice C shape neck with a flatter fretboard you feel free to play things you would not normally.

The guitar weighs 7 lbs and 3 oz and this weight also helps as you're making the guitar a part of you.
Sure all Strats do that but add in a smaller body, light weight and a superb neck profile, you have a guitar you will enjoy anywhere.

I did not miss the tone knob because you just need volume and your switch for boost.
I did mess you with the EQ settings on the back and adjusted to different amp to get the best tone.
Switched rooms with and without carpet and whatever tweaking I did, you found a tone for the mood you're in at that moment.

Summary - versatile and the response from mind to fingers is ultra fast.

Future plans
-Pickups stay, they are great. I doubt any other pickups will help and with the wiring, it'll be a mess that I don't even want a tech to handle.
-Replace saddles with either block Gotohs or Graphtech. right now no issues with rollers saddles.
-The pickguard fits perfectly but some warping and I suppose it's due to it being single ply. Maybe a 3 ply in the future

Future thoughts - I hope the circuit board hangs in there but as of now it's totally functional. I guess when it craps out, I'll throw in a Clapton Boost.

Oh all the glorious pictures are at this link.

https://imgur.com/a/ClgMbCQ

1.JPG

Good looking T-62 and great get - congrats.

It should have a matched set of SD's in it - from Hamer.

I believe that's an ABM roller bridge - they're nice pieces.

That pickguard is unique to a T-62 and its scale is smaller than any typical Strat.  Your best bet would be to take to factory one off,  hand trace or scan it and then send that image off to get one custom cut the exact same size.  Anything else will cause you headaches and burn money.

If the EQ is working - I agree - leave it and the wiring alone.

Have fun with it,  they're certainly awesome guitars.

2 hours ago, Boomerang~Junkie said:

I believe that's an ABM roller bridge - they're nice pieces.

Agree. There's no reason to replace the saddles. A drop of 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil on the the rollers should be enough to keep them in shape. If they start to get grungy, soak them in naptha for a few hours and scrub with a fine-bristle, metal brush.

Great score and also a fantastic description of what is a fine guitar.  Welcome to the club!

The quality of the T-62 is breathtaking.  The neck itself is like a piece of natures art.  I agree with your description that they feel "broken in" as soon as you play them.  Very comfortable necks indeed.  It took me a few days to get used to mine.  I now find that they are at their best with the volume very slightly rolled off.  Flick in the preamp and you have more than enough gain to get by on for any "Strat" number.

Mine's a '91 Sunburst so its an early one.

IMG_1056.JPG

13 hours ago, tildeslash said:

1.JPG

DANG! That thing looks fresh outta the box! Interesting burst color, maybe it's the photo but it almost looks to be a 'peach-burst' color. Original case AND trem arm included? If I recall correctly the fingerboards on those (and the Vintage S) are pau ferro.

Double dibs!

No case and no trem arm.  Yes fretboard is Pau Ferro.
I will take more pictures in several lights and the color is catchy.
Body is pretty clean and back of neck has a small dimple in the clear coat, can't feel it when playing and you have to look very hard to even photograph it.

I guess you like it! Seriously, a great review of what is undoubtedly a great guitar. Congrats and enjoy.

We don’t see many of them pop up for sale.

Archived