Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA Beware e-bay auction Ultimate Artist

After placing the opening bid, I asked the seller to send me close-ups of the front and back of the headstock. He sent me pictures of a different guitar headstock. It had victory inlays and his main add pictures have crowns. The rear of the headstock didn't have the extra number indicating the Ultimates build number. This person has a zero e-bay sales number. I am going to ask e-bay to retract my bid. This person may not even have the guitar pictured. Quite possibly a scam.

Maybe it was a lowball bid.  A Hamer is automatically worth $350, right?

DeVai, you should be able to retract your bid and report the auction as suspicious.  Even if your bid ends up winning you can explain not paying.  It will not hurt you if it shows in your transaction history for a year.

The auction shows they are located in a small town west of St. Louis.  Give it some time, they could be selling for a relative or something.  

Don't sweat bid retractions on Evilbay -  people cancel large purchases like cars/trucks all the damn time without consequence.  FWIW, the the listed seller frequently gets the bone on fees in those cases.

Well yes , I placed the bid and then asked for pictures. I figured there was no way I would win with the opening bid. When I do that e-bay will keep me posted on where the bidding stands.

18 minutes ago, DeVai said:

Well yes , I placed the bid and then asked for pictures. I figured there was no way I would win with the opening bid. When I do that e-bay will keep me posted on where the bidding stands.

6 hours ago, kizanski said:

You placed a bid and then asked for pictures? 

9 minutes ago, DeVai said:

Yup. I've seen listings that had just enough info/images  to prompt me to throw in a bid and THEN ask for more info on features via photos. No harm in doing that.

Whatever happened to putting something you see on Ebay on your watch list, instead of bidding on it?  IIRC, you can watch up to 300 items at a time on Ebay; if your watch list is full, then you probably need to delete some of those items anyway.  BTW, when you cancel a bid on Ebay, a menu shows up that gives a list of reasons to check off that ask why you're cancelling the bid, when you start the cancellation process; one of which being that the item has 'changed significantly' since you placed your bid.  If the photos the seller sent you don't match the item listing, then there you go.

Retracting a bid is easy, takes a few seconds, and as long as it's more than 24 hours prior to the end of the auction, you can do it without any eBay "consequences".

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

Ahh, this would be the auction from the seller with zero feedback, right? Registered 3 days ago on ebay.

YES

Buyers should always beware whether it is an online auction site like ebay or Craigslist or going to someones house.  

Sometimes buyers even need to be aware of shopping from a "reputable" guitar dealer or store. 

As far as the seller with zero feedback and registered 3 days ago  - that would stop many from placing a bid. 

Not receiving  additional information or pictures, or the wrong pictures of a similar item from the seller with zero feedback would cause one to take pause.

Following up with the seller to confirm the item, receiving the additional documentation to make a decision to place a bid?   In the words of Mastercard - priceless!   It will save you a significant amount of trouble.   Someone with the tolerance for the risk might be making a score.

Hamerica

If they sent the wrong pictures, that would usually signal to me that they don't have the actual guitar, and have harvested pictures from the internet.  Many people were noticing when previous auction pictures got re-used, so the scammers started raiding TGP and other pages, where everyone conveniently posts pictures of their guitars in "normal" settings.

Here is a website where you can run the image and it does a reverse image lookup   Basically tracks the images digital fingerprint ).   You can see where the perp grabbed their pics from.        Although I would just run from that guy with the ad.    

www.tineye.com

Archived