Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Guitar-driven Rock Aint Dead!

chromium

My son has been playing out quite a bit in recent months, and as a result I've been seeing a lot of local bands. I gotta say - it is so cool to see all these talented kids on the music scene here bringin' it!

These guys go to his music school (where there are many, many gifted up-and-comers), and I've seen them all before playing in different genres... but I finally caught their doom metal act "Grail" last week. Absolutely killer band, and I'm blown away by the fact that these guys are only 15-17 years old!

Gotta dig a bit for it, but guitar-centric music is in fact alive and well among the new generation!

He's playing a 9.5-44 set, EB. Fender medium pick, tortoise celluloid. JJ Preamp tubes, TAD Power tubes. Planet waves cables, oh and a Rayovac carbon 9V in a 1982, or '82 1/2 Tube Screamer. Maybe '83, nah, '82 1/2. They have a richer mid than the '82 or '83.

Seriously though, it's good to see youngsters doing it!

1 hour ago, gtrdaddy said:

He's playing a 9.5-44 set, EB. Fender medium pick, tortoise celluloid. JJ Preamp tubes, TAD Power tubes. Planet waves cables, oh and a Rayovac carbon 9V in a 1982, or '82 1/2 Tube Screamer. Maybe '83, nah, '82 1/2. They have a richer mid than the '82 or '83.

Seriously though, it's good to see youngsters doing it!

I wouldn't be surprised. Wish I had rigs like some of these kids when I was that age!

I did get a kick out of seeing that old T-40 and Mk4 head :D

I remember when my son went thru the metal band day’s. I knew every county Sheriff by first name. Obviously my neighbors didn’t appreciate them playing in my garage!!

The nearest city to where I live is Wenatchee, Washington which has a population of about 35,000. I caught a 3 piece act last summer of young local guys in their 20's doing cool original progressive instrumental guitar driven rock and was really impressed. 

Check out "Himiko Cloud"

8 hours ago, Dutchman said:

I remember when my son went thru the metal band day’s. I knew every county Sheriff by first name. Obviously my neighbors didn’t appreciate them playing in my garage!!

I, uh, never left those days.  

I've worked in Master of Puppets, Raining Blood, and One teasers into our set and am working on getting the end of Opeth's Deliverance in there... my southern rock band with a hornline.  Goes great to segue between The Meters and Tedeschi/Trucks tunes.  

May they stay metal. 

5 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

I, uh, never left those days.  

I've worked in Master of Puppets, Raining Blood, and One teasers into our set and am working on getting the end of Opeth's Deliverance in there... my southern rock band with a hornline.  Goes great to segue between The Meters and Tedeschi/Trucks tunes.  

May they stay metal. 

+1 

While my classic hard rock/metal cover band efforts seems to be on life support and in need of resuscitation these days, I have been getting by with the originals project that is very much guitar driven. Moreover, I've been writing a lot and am considering starting up another original hard rock project for tunes that don't quite fit the vibe of the other band :P  Then there are some prospective collaborations with some fellow HFCers in the works, too. ;)

Good on ya that you're still involved, and on such a diverse level, with guitar-driven music.

My son started playing out at age 16. Played hundreds of gigs ever since, contests, tent fests and business gigs. They made a CD too.

Archived