Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Weber 5E3 (Deluxe) Kit Amp At DGS Madison

No affiliation.  I have NO idea if the 'covering' is real or fake, kinda looks like flannel to me, or not, maybe it came from a Lil' Dogie that didn't git along fast enough.  :wacko:  I also can't figure out why the back panel is upside down...does the amp get that hot, or was it put back on the amp by a doofus?

https://davesguitar.com/products/weber/5e3-kit-amp-madison-608-405-8770/

54 minutes ago, Pieman said:

You'd think they'd remove the back panels to see how neatly (or not) it was built.

That's a given, that'd be the smart thing to do since it's a 'kit' amp.  But putting the back panel back on upside down?  Not so much.  

There were a couple of kit amps in that covering that were built up by Weber techs that sold off their website a few years back. That covering is a Weber option for custom cabs, and the Weber sig speaker makes me wonder if that might be one of them. Seems like a good deal at the price if it's well built.

I see the robot. Back panel is indeed upside down. Great price on a cool 5e3. I would def upgrade the speaker to a Weber 12a125a.

3 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Back panel is indeed upside down

Sure, go ahead, just rest your fingers on the back of that thing.

5 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

If you squint a bit, the back of the amp looks like a robot smiley face!

DCS_4089.jpg

Just have another snort there, would ya :lol:

Those Weber Sig Series speakers blow chunks (cones fart out a lot). Surely if this is a worthy kit build, that amp deserves something better than that.

Just my $0.02...

I bought it. 

Turns out it was built by the folks at Weber, so I have some confidence in the wiring job.  They had it in their jam room until they cleared it out.  They sent me a photo of the covering which is white tolex with brown splotches with tufts of hair.  The folks at Dave's were a great help with close up photos of the wiring. They also posted another photo today.  Definitely nice folks to work with. As far as the speaker goes, Skip Simmons speaks highly of the Weber Sig series on the Fretboard Journal podcasts.  Will compare this to my 1950s wide panel Gibson GA-6.   I was a little leary of this as a kit build and also because it's 5E3 in a TV panel cabinet until Ted Weber told me the story.   

Thanks Crunchee for the post.  I visit Dave's website fairly often but didn't see this until you posted.

5E3’s rock!! The volumes are interactive!! Adjust to taste!! I like to run mine so light playing is kinda glassy clean and hitting it hard it breaks up!! These little amps get loud with the right speaker. I’m using a Swamp Thang right now. Tightened up the bottom end compared to the Weber I started out with. Actually it just sounds better overall!!

Thanks, Pieman! A trip to Dave's was on my list of things to do this Friday, figuring I might trade a few things and bring it home. I reeeeally didn't need another amp.....

But we're gonna need a full tone report!

I'm always happy to enable!  ;)  I was tempted myself, but I have a love/hate relationship with the 5E3 Deluxe circuit...I had a Kendrick version years ago, it sounded great, but every time I plugged it in, it seemed like I nearly always wound up with the controls maxed and sounding like Crazy Horse-era Neil Young.  A great sound, but it put me in kind of a rut...but I also recognize that a lot of players here like them a lot.

BTW, is Ted Weber his son T.A.?  Ted the founder died in 2009:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Ted_Weber_Founder_of_Weber_Speakers_Dies_at_58

That circuit LOVES old glass....and a 5y3 rectifier will make it sag perfectly. One of the greatest rock and blues circuits ever created. A Weber 12a125a is perfect for that amp. 
And the tolex is beyond cool. 5e3s are so much fun and more versatile than people think with the interactive controls...plus you can try a 5751 or ax7 in v1for a more aggressive tone . The stock 12ay7 in v1draws more current and browns the tone a bit...really a fun circuit that KILLS.

Archived