Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Newport Appreciation Thread

FGJ

I do love orange guitars...especially Capri orange....but the Jazz burst and black cherry finishes look soooo classy on a Newport!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that Capri orange (depending on the sample) seems like a cross between pumpkin and a Dreamsicle. It's a cool color in all its variations. I have to admit, that's one of my attractions to the Gretch 6120s which come in a variety of orange. The original Newport, however, seems to lean closer to red; in fact, my wife calls my Newport "the red-head". She doesn't think of it as orange at all. 

25 minutes ago, FGJ said:

Does anyone know if there ever was a Newport made with a spalted maple top? That's a lovely wood grain, and I dig the way it looks on the Tally. 

I’ve never seen a spalted maple top on a Newport, or a Talladega for that matter. I thought I remembered reading one time that Jol refused to use spalted maple once or twice. Of course, that doesn’t mean he didn’t randomly change his mind on a whim and make one anyway. I just done remember seeing it...

2 minutes ago, guitaround said:

I have not played a 'normal' Newport with Phat Cat's, but I love the Pro with Seth Lover's

These are mine: a natural spruce top and a gorgeous BE

2760053.jpg.d3d50b401f3f0ececd6bef9103a0c072.jpgCIMG3415.JPG.b5d68d54238830fa7f904b82d67f83c6.JPG 

Oh god, I love that Birdseye. 

Can you tell a sonic difference between the spruce top and the BE?

6 minutes ago, Travis said:

I’ve had multiple Newports at the same time, mostly Pros with stock Seth Lovers, three spruce top and two maple. The spruce tops are louder, more open and lively sounding with some serious spank, the maple tops sound really nice too, but had a different note bloom, more compressed and a bit more focused sounding.

1 minute ago, Travis said:

Although they sound similar, the attack and decay of the notes are different, I tend to prefer the Spruce top sound and also because of its 'simpler' look (dots and rosewood vs inlays and ebony)

20 hours ago, Travis said:

Bigsby’s scare me. But for that, I would learn how to use one...

That color is AWESOME!

Bigsby’s are FUN and not as clunky as they look unless you compare them to a Strat Vibrato...a key for me was swapping in a Reverend Soft Spring for the stock spring...it made the arm action smoother and more fluid..,and I yank and wail all over that thing hard.

• 1 month later...

Anyone had a Newport refretted yet? I'm wondering what kind of damage is done to the neck binding by removing the frets (since the binding covers the fret ends). Just curious what I'll do if/when the frets get worn.

1 hour ago, FGJ said:

Anyone had a Newport refretted yet? I'm wondering what kind of damage is done to the neck binding by removing the frets (since the binding covers the fret ends). Just curious what I'll do if/when the frets get worn.

You refret it. And the nibs will most probably have to be sacrificed. No biggie. It's what happens. The guitar is great, you played it a lot. It will need maintenance. Some luthiers can do it and keep the nibs, but it's very expensive. So unless you have a 50's LP I'd say don't bother. Live with it. And be proud that you are infact a player, not a guitar collector.

https://hazeguitars.com/blog/the-great-big-gibson-fret-nib-debate

Frets on Dr. May‘s Red Special are down to fretless level. He keeps playing sold out stadiums with it. So, what are you looking for? B)

On 3/14/2020 at 2:33 PM, JGale said:

Newport.jpg

I had the same mod done to my old one:

270864169945l.jpg

My N90 I'm keeping stock other than swapping in a MojoAxe wraptail:

newport90mojoaxe-e1500488947173.jpg

Still haven't gotten around to snapping a pic of my new Newport Pro Custom, but I have a demo in mind for that one.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:23 PM, ceeb said:

It was a thing we did back then, guitars and flowers. The color is butterscotch. 

5DDAE0BB-54EA-484F-80E0-C0F4140880F5.png

I really dig the dark binding with the natural finish. Is the binding black? or tortoise shell that didn't come through in the pic?It almost looks like the fretboard is ebony. Is it?

All beautiful pics but the question is: To Bigsby Or Not To Bigsby? Does it detract from the guitar's appeal or add to it? Hard to use or like a walk in the park?

Archived