Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Newport Appreciation Thread

FGJ

That's too subjective a question. You'll get love-hate answers from every side. I dig them but others hate them. I not sure where the middle ground is, besides apathy I suppose.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/18/2020 at 8:43 PM, rugby1970 said:

All beautiful pics but the question is: To Bigsby Or Not To Bigsby? Does it detract from the guitar's appeal or add to it? Hard to use or like a walk in the park?

Bigsby ever time. Looks way cooler. Works like a charm. Easy to use. Not a Floyd Rose, but you can sound like Chris Isaaks rythm guitarist any day of the week.

I concur. However, to demonstrate just how stupid I am, I often want things just for the design aesthetics. I dig Bigsbys because they look like a substantial bit of machinery. A good chunk of metal to perform what is otherwise a simple effect, but it looks so cool... to me. Like I said elsewhere, others will say it's an ugly hunk of metal that doesn't perform well. But you know what they say about opinions...

2 hours ago, burningyen said:

Nasty paper cut on 3rd finger means no playing, so picture time:

img_0994.jpg

Ahhh!!!  P90’s and a wrap tail. Boner....

A quick shot from last night as I was putting it back in the case.  I’m spending a lot of time just finger picking triads on the three high strings. 

33390FEB-864D-45B7-A18E-E54EDCEC65B3.jpeg

On 3/17/2020 at 11:39 PM, FGJ said:

I really dig the dark binding with the natural finish. Is the binding black? or tortoise shell that didn't come through in the pic?It almost looks like the fretboard is ebony. Is it?

It’s a butterscotch finish, black binding, and ebony fingerboard.   

On 3/28/2020 at 10:12 AM, burningyen said:

Nasty paper cut on 3rd finger means no playing, so picture time:

img_0993.jpg

img_0994.jpg

Those look great.  Love the differences - simplicity with the P90s and wraptail and the swanky red with the fancy tailpiece.  I've forgotten, who made that?  Was it Schaller or someone else?

3 hours ago, scottcald said:

Those look great.  Love the differences - simplicity with the P90s and wraptail and the swanky red with the fancy tailpiece.  I've forgotten, who made that?  Was it Schaller or someone else?

Good question. Since I've never seen it on anything other than a NPC, and since you don't see any other hardware made by Hamer in-house, I'm guessing it was OEMed for them by an outside shop.

On 3/30/2020 at 11:04 AM, ceeb said:

A quick shot from last night as I was putting it back in the case.  I’m spending a lot of time just finger picking triads on the three high strings. 

33390FEB-864D-45B7-A18E-E54EDCEC65B3.jpeg

Yowser!

On 2/2/2020 at 8:09 PM, rugby1970 said:

One of my past loves. I miss her.

IMG_20181101_170311108.jpg

I still have it.. lightly played since I got her. It has the Phat Cat in the neck position like you had it set up when I got it. 

13 minutes ago, Hfan said:

I still have it.. lightly played since I got her. It has the Phat Cat in the neck position like you had it set up when I got it. 

Treat her well and as always, play in good health.

I special ordered this in 2006.  Was my main guitar for 6+ years.  Best sounding, nicest looking and and best built guitar I've ever played.  Sold it a couple of years ago; the ergonomics were starting to work against me as I got older and comfort became king.

spacer.png

On April 5, 2020 at 7:59 PM, 3of5 said:

I special ordered this in 2006.  Was my main guitar for 6+ years.  Best sounding, nicest looking and and best built guitar I've ever played.  Sold it a couple of years ago; the ergonomics were starting to work against me as I got older and comfort became king.

spacer.png

That looks like a tobacco burst, only more rich in saturation. Is it really that colorful in person? I really, really like it.

When I ordered this I wanted a tele look, butterscotch and black.  I was told the back wouldn’t look right because the mahogany would take the color differently than the spruce. So the order was changed to natural on the back.  I don’t know what happened but I was pleasantly surprised that the back was sprayed. The color is not the same, but I like that it has a kind of smokey Mary Kay look.  I think if the back was natural it’d look like cruddy underwear, yellow in front and brown in the back. 

17C387A1-8311-4F2D-9E9D-D1E9DBA9A70D.jpeg

On 4/5/2020 at 7:59 PM, 3of5 said:

spacer.png

I own the twin to this one. Jazzburst.

Archived