Hamer Fan Club Message Center

How long do you wait to request refund?

LucSulla

I bought a guitar of Reverb and realized only afterward that I just bought a guitar from someone with no feedback history.

Well, great.  This won't go well I bet.

So the guitar is supposedly delivered today, but apparently he gave UPS the wrong address.  UPS being UPS won't tell me where it went, only that it didn't come here.  My Reverb and Paypal addresses are my correct home address, so it was his fuck up.  I emailed him about 3 hours ago telling him what was up and hoping to find out where the hell he sent it.  I'm already a little pissed he isn't checking messages the day of delivery to make sure it all went OK. 

How long would you wait before requesting refund?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I requesting through Verb for sure, but I'm just trying to decide how long I'm giving him to respond. 

The stupid thing is if he'd check to see if the damn thing got delivered, he could probably save some trouble.  If he just botched the street number but got the street right, it's probably sitting in some blue-haired woman's den right now on my street as she frets about what exactly to do with this package that showed up.  I could just walk over and grab it.  My area of Oxford might as well be Mayberry. 

So, where is the tracking info the seller should have provided you with?

If you have the tracking number the  delivery company should tell you where it went!! I don’t understand their lack of cooperation?? I’ve had items that have been delivered to wrong address’s and they quickly contacted the delivery person and found out where it went. Reverb is pretty good about protecting buyers so I’d have them applying pressure too!!  

If someone accepted the package you would think they would have looked at a shipping label. 

"Who sent me a package?  Why am I getting this large box?" 

Seeing someone else's name on the package should have an honest person calling the delivery company to report the mistake. 

2 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

If someone accepted the package you would think they would have looked at a shipping label. 

"Who sent me a package?  Why am I getting this large box?" 

Seeing someone else's name on the package should have an honest person calling the delivery company to report the mistake. 

Receipt of someone else's property is theft, possibly a felony depending on the item's value.  Finder's keepers is not a legal concept.  

44 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

Receipt of someone else's property is theft, possibly a felony depending on the item's value.  Finder's keepers is not a legal concept.  

Are you sure?

"Unsolicited goods are those goods which are sent to someone without being asked those goods to be sent. ... However, demanding payment for unsolicited goods is a criminal offence. Consumers can retain unsolicited goods or dispose them as they wish. They are under no obligation to keep them safe or to return them."

5 hours ago, Victor (Fret Friend) said:

So, where is the tracking info the seller should have provided you with?

That only works if the address was correct.  Since the seller didn't put the right address on the package to begin with apparently, as far as UPS is concerned, I'm just some guy calling to find out where a package that wasn't sent to him might be sitting.  Since the seller also sent with no signature required, it was just left on a porch somewhere in Oxford, MS.  UPS tracking only tells you the town it's going to and if it has been delivered in general unless you have an account with them and the address it is going to is yours.  If you have a UPS account, when you log in, if it's going to your address, it will show up.  I didn't actually think about it not popping up at the time.  

I'm giving him until noon to get back to me.  I asked last night what address he sent it to after checking that all my info was correct.  Overall, I'm not super worried.  I've sold enough stuff on Reverb - 30+ guitars at this point (holy shit, I've had that many guitars pass through my hands!?!?!) - to know how much buyer protection there is.  UPS can confirm it was sent to an address other than the one on the Reverb invoice and that it was delivered to that wrong address.  I can't imagine that not being pretty open and shut.  

The real lesson here is never buying stuff from someone with 0 feedback and sales history.  I knew better, but it's been so long since I've been interested in something from a newbie on Reverb that I forgot to check.  Subsequently...

13 hours ago, LucSulla said:

My area of Oxford might as well be Mayberry. 

Let's go, Barn. Mix-up by the mail carrier. We got to go get that lost package from Mizz Clara's house and get it over to ol' man Jason's place before he commences to carryin' on and what-all. Then we can head over to the Diner and get us a mess of fried pork chops.

14 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

That only works if the address was correct.  Since the seller didn't put the right address on the package to begin with apparently, as far as UPS is concerned, I'm just some guy calling to find out where a package that wasn't sent to him might be sitting.  Since the seller also sent with no signature required, it was just left on a porch somewhere in Oxford, MS.  UPS tracking only tells you the town it's going to and if it has been delivered in general unless you have an account with them and the address it is going to is yours.  If you have a UPS account, when you log in, if it's going to your address, it will show up.  I didn't actually think about it not popping up at the time.  

I'm giving him until noon to get back to me.  I asked last night what address he sent it to after checking that all my info was correct.  Overall, I'm not super worried.  I've sold enough stuff on Reverb - 30+ guitars at this point (holy shit, I've had that many guitars pass through my hands!?!?!) - to know how much buyer protection there is.  UPS can confirm it was sent to an address other than the one on the Reverb invoice and that it was delivered to that wrong address.  I can't imagine that not being pretty open and shut.  

The real lesson here is never buying stuff from someone with 0 feedback and sales history.  I knew better, but it's been so long since I've been interested in something from a newbie on Reverb that I forgot to check.  Subsequently...

If paid with PayPal via your credit card you are in a zero risk scenario.  If Reverb fails you, you have PayPal protection still, and after that the ability to do a CC charge back. 

When I moved in, my next door neighbor came over and gave me a list of everyone on the street and their phone numbers, which, if you're not from a small town in the Deep South may sound strange.  I was actually not surprised by this at all.  😂

That's partially the reason I don't think it even ended up on this street.  

Just now, Studio Custom said:

If paid with PayPal via your credit card you are in a zero risk scenario.  If Reverb fails you, you have PayPal protection still, and after that the ability to do a CC charge back. 

PayPal Credit, but I imagine it's effectively the same.   I sent one last "not trying to be a dick, but here are the realities of this situation" email.  If I don't hear something back pretty soon, I'm about to find out first hand. 

You will be taken care of. Seller not so much. He is the one who made the mistake. You gave him 3 hours. I’d be all over Reverb right now since the guitar went to someone else.

...and finders-keepers varies by state, I believe,

Shoot...maybe the seller or Reverb can simply give you the address to where it went. I live in fairly small town middle America. Most people here would hand it over with a chuckle.

1 minute ago, Jakeboy said:

Shoot...maybe the seller or Reverb can simply give you the address to where it went. I live in fairly small town middle America. Most people here would hand it over with a chuckle.

This is definitely a case where his not keeping an eye on his account is about to bite him the ass.  There are very few places in this town where I would be uncomfortable just driving by and asking if they might have a mystery guitar. 

2 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

1 hour ago, cynic said:

Are you sure?

"Unsolicited goods are those goods which are sent to someone without being asked those goods to be sent. ... However, demanding payment for unsolicited goods is a criminal offence. Consumers can retain unsolicited goods or dispose them as they wish. They are under no obligation to keep them safe or to return them."

Steve, I side with Joe on this one. The quote you posted is from what I believe from is the FTC website which does not trump state laws, and also this quote is not addressing a mis-delivered package. The quote you posted is pertaining to FTC rules regulating unethical businesses from sending someone a package that they did not order or ask for, and then the shipper sending that person a bill. If a business ships something to someone without consent and tries to bill them later, the recipient per FTC rules can keep or dispose of the goods at their discretion. 

With regards to someone accidentally receiving someone else's property, there are loads of examples of prosecution at both the federal and state levels, where the mis-delivery of goods were kept by the incorrect recipient, or where money had been mistakenly deposited in the wrong account, and the recipient of the misguided funds spends all money, knowing full well they didn't have $10, or $100K coming to them, and they were prosecuted for theft.  Here's a quote from the Maine statute:

"A person is guilty of theft if the person obtains or exercises control over the property of another that the person knows to have been [...] delivered under a mistake [...] and [...] the person fails to take reasonable measures to return it. Violation of this paragraph is a Class E crime."

Archived