Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD - Hamer Monaco Superpro - plus pickup question

clay49

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, G Man said:

I have never heard a SD pickup that didn't need replacing.  Its nice that there are so many MUCH better alternatives out there these days.

Agreed, except in the SuperPro where the result is fucking Kismet.   

20 hours ago, G Man said:

I have never heard a SD pickup that didn't need replacing.  Its nice that there are so many MUCH better alternatives out there these days.

Thats not all true, but like any guitar the pickups need to match the voice fo the guitar. The Superpro is one of those guitars that sounds so good, you could never guess which pickups are in there. 

I do believed that someone here had one factory loaded with two Custom Customs. 

On 2/7/2020 at 7:05 PM, gtrdaddy said:

Walgreens

Public Service Announcement:  Neither Walgreens or CVS carry surgical tubing...the pharmacists at both places looked at me like I was a nutcase, which may be right!

At any rate, Ebay has it all...just ordered 10ft for $10...should be here Thursday.

On 2/7/2020 at 4:59 PM, Disturber said:

The stock pickups are the perfect match for the Superpro. Trust me. Don't mess with them. Use the volume knobs if you want a bit less output. 

While I like these stock pickups ok, the bridge is just a bit too much over the top for me.  I just snagged a set of Gibson Custombuckers on The Gear Page...should be a good match for this fabulous slab of wood!

9 minutes ago, clay49 said:

Public Service Announcement:  Neither Walgreens or CVS carry surgical tubing...the pharmacists at both places looked at me like I was a nutcase, which may be right!

At any rate, Ebay has it all...just ordered 10ft for $10...should be here Thursday.

I didn’t say surgical tubing. I only said tubing. You got focused on surgical tubing???? They sell tubing for air supply lines for C-Pap machines and Oxygen tanks. 

I only ever played one of these guitars and at the time I had no wish to buy another guitar,but they had a really nice[Like New] one at Lavonne's in Savage Mn. It was a very cool guitar and played and sound wonderful. Your guitar is Perfect...............great color, great top!

18 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

I didn’t say surgical tubing. I only said tubing. You got focused on surgical tubing???? They sell tubing for air supply lines for C-Pap machines and Oxygen tanks. 

Sorry ‘bout that!  I guess I got this intertwined with another posting I saw where someone used plastic tubing, and they said that it got stuck because it wasn’t flexible enough...then someone else said surgical tubing was the ticket.  Sorry to back the car back over you accidentally!  Many apologies!

43 minutes ago, clay49 said:

Sorry ‘bout that!  I guess I got this intertwined with another posting I saw where someone used plastic tubing, and they said that it got stuck because it wasn’t flexible enough...then someone else said surgical tubing was the ticket.  Sorry to back the car back over you accidentally!  Many apologies!

No problem.
Don’t let it happen again CHERRY!    
:lol:

PS Air supply tubing is great. Been using it since my first semi hollow pickup change 37 years ago. 

Just my two cents from Germany:

I purchased Bryce in 2013, and after a few hours of playing time (what a joy!) I swapped the PUs to a Rio Grande set. Don’t ask me which one (I can look it up if you want me to...), but to my ears it worked way better than the SDs.

Swapping was way more easier than expected, was done in 60 minutes on a lazy sunday afternoon...

58F87969-B1FC-4BD9-910A-D83C6E3F97F3.jpeg

It’s actually the configuration and planning that I have a problem with... the tone was always fine as long as you didn’t try and combine pickups.

And there is something to be said about a traditional bridge pickup that is thinner and brighter and a neck pickup that is truly “rhythmic” in that it could double as a bass guitar if necessary. Tradition is important... the endless tone jockeying isn’t all that important in reality... on paper maybe, but we’ve all enjoyed the hell out of our Hamers regardless of the shrill useless sounds many stock configs yield when combining pickups.

I’m still a massive Hamer fan even though I am configured a little shrill myself. lolz

4 hours ago, JGravelin said:

It would be my pleasure to help with the pickup stuff in any way I can. Advice, magnet swaps, etc - anything I can do to assist any of you - y'all got me in your back pocket!

This!

UPDATE:  I picked up some 3/16 clear aquarium tube at PetsMart yesterday, and was able to use that to fasten to the tops of each of the pot shafts, and also ran it through the jack input, tied a knot in the bottom end (of the tubing going through the jack), and pulled everything through the bridge pickup cavity successfully.  I also tied knots in the opposite end of each pot tube, so that it wouldn’t slip down inside the body of the guitar while I was working on the guitar.

I sure do appreciate all of the input... you guys made this project very easy for me!  I’ll post back once I get the Custombuckers in and let you know how they sound!

Custombuckers are in and I LOVE the tone of these pups in this guitar...SPOT ON for my tone palette.  They are articulate, crisp, woody and punchy, without being muddy, strident or one dimensional, which I found the Duncan custom custom to be (in the bridge).  

I threw on a Gibson toggle washer and am experimenting with some knob styles.  The amber top hats were cracked (someone applied too much pressure when putting them on, or putting them back on).  I am contemplating possibly getting some of the PRS amber knobs, those are pretty cool and I think would work well with this finish.

00473917-12A3-4890-AD93-4ED7FBCC9CF1_zps

31 minutes ago, clay49 said:

Custombuckers are in and I LOVE the tone of these pups in this guitar...SPOT ON for my tone palette.  They are articulate, crisp, woody and punchy, without being muddy, strident or one dimensional, which I found the Duncan custom custom to be (in the bridge).  

I threw on a Gibson toggle washer and am experimenting with some knob styles.  The amber top hats were cracked (someone applied too much pressure when putting them on, or putting them back on).  I am contemplating possibly getting some of the PRS amber knobs, those are pretty cool and I think would work well with this finish.

Stick with the gold/amber knobs!

5 hours ago, clay49 said:

Those buckers don’t look uncovered to me... 😏

As of the knobs go, I wouldn’t mess with the original look, but of course that’s your guitar —not mine.

In any case, that’s a beautiful axe. Congratulations and welcome around!

16 hours ago, zorrow said:

Those buckers don’t look uncovered to me... 😏

As of the knobs go, I wouldn’t mess with the original look, but of course that’s your guitar —not mine.

In any case, that’s a beautiful axe. Congratulations and welcome around!

Yes, I realized that it would probably be a little more difficult to get a set that are uncovered, so I just went with a set that was available, and a good bit cheaper than what I am seeing on reverb and eBay.

Why the poker chip on the toggle?

Even if you were forgetting which way is Rhythm vs Treble, you can't read it while playing.

Never understood adding this to a guitar. And the black doesn't match the pickup rings or the blonde finish. Just my $.02. To each his own.

Archived