Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gravelin Pickups/Shishkov Stds. 2020 HFC Offering

Hello HFC Friends! Once a year I like to do a special run of pickups at a deliciously discounted price to support all of you here on The HFC, to encourage casual participants to join up properly and be Supporting Members, to keep Shishkov Guitars on peoples minds, and to do good by/for the best and only internet guitar forum I will align myself with.

It's now 2020 and this amazing New Year deserves some amazing new pickups! The cost of parts, coil wire, and all of it has bumped up on my end but I'm going to stick to last years prices of $220/set. Shipping to your doorstep with insurance and a tracking number is $8.50, so you're looking at $228.50 Grand Total per set: handwound and assembled to exacting specifications using the absolute best top-tier parts, as always. Ivory, Black, Parchment, and White bobbin colors are available, 49.2mm, 50mm, and 53mm string spacing, and your choice of output lead wire. Let's start with 8 sets of Charlotte and 8 sets of Schlabotnik ok? Why 8? Because it's also symbolic of "Infinity" and I think it's appropriate. If I need to make more, I will.

To claim your set, send me a message with your bobbin color choice and output lead choice. I will consider magnet swapping to your specifications if I know it works with the wind also, but would really prefer to put these forth per the proven recipe. If you want covers (only the best USA made), add $30 for a set. For Gold, + $40. If you live in a different country other than the USA, please mention that so I can quote exact shipping costs.

Payment accepted via PayPal, Personal Check or Money Order, and of course Cash Money. These custom built pickups will start shipping in 3 weeks. Or less if I can manage it, which I probably can. Under-promise, over-deliver right? Right.

8 Standard (Charlotte set, UOA5 Bridge/A2 Neck, 10.9k/7.7k) : $220/set + $8.50 s/h

8 Ultimate (Schlabotnik set, A2 Bridge and Neck, 8.7k/7.5k) : $220/set +$8.50 s/h

Get in touch, claim your set, and let's rock forth in 2020.

HFC! ♥

HFC1.jpg

HFC2.JPG

HFC3.JPG

HFC4.JPG

HFC5.JPG

A question was just asked in my private messages: DiMarzio codes for 4 conductor but if you're more comfortable with Duncan colors, no problem! ** edit: And if you want matching pickup mounting rings too, I can only get them in Ivory or Black. I thought I had a line on parchment and white ones from my usual parts distributors but they don't carry them anymore. So if you want Ivory or Black + $6.00. In this case, these will come fully assembled and ready to drop right in.

I can honestly say the Schlabotniks are my favorite set of pups.   No desire whatsoever to pull them out of the guitar I have.  In the past, I gravitated toward A2 neck and A5 bridges pups.  I ended up pulling the '59 neck pups out of my Hamers almost out of the gate every time.  And the JB always felt like too much.   I loved the Seth Lover neck in the Newport, but was less enamored with SL bridge.   If I would have gotten along with the modern carve of the neck I would have dropped in a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary I have lying around or ordered one of Josh's other offerings.  So I was really pleasantly surprised at how well the Schlabotnik A2 in the bridge worked for me.  The A2 in the neck is simply awesome.  Having said that, I have a new build coming that will include the Charlotte set.  If ZenMB's video is any indication, that set will give me another tonal range to work with that overall fits in my comfort zone (not that I can play anywhere near as well as he can).  If you're thinking of new pups you really owe it to yourself to try the Schlabotniks or the Charlottes.   

13 hours ago, hamerhead said:

What I like about Josh is he's psychotic - he knows what you're thinking.

13 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Perhaps he's just psychic and he's plain crazy?

Intuitive yes and I've certainly had moments of psychic foresight and dreams that were actually premonitions of upcoming real-life events. Thankfully and knock on wood: never psychotic or crazy...unless hand-guided winding 145 humbucker coils in one day qualifies? Not a single dud in the batch, all within +/- .03 variance too.

Since my last post I got absolutely crushed by a flu that's been going around: fever, cold sweats, extremely upset stomach, etc.. The good news is that for all orders thus far, all the specific bobbin colors and covers are in transit! And I've started on sets with parts on hand as well so this first small batch should be wrapped up soon.

There's 4 sets of each style still available. To claim your set at this sweet HFC price, get in touch!

Now that I'm feeling a little better, I'm also working on some pickups using parts I had hidden in my shop as well: a Shishkov spec P90 set, a couple of 1st edition Hamer Slammer reproduction bridge pickups, a couple of strat pickups, a Firebird bridge pickup, and a couple "one-off" custom pieces for those that want something super special. I'll post photos and descriptions soon. ♥

Not in the market for HBs at the moment, but I have one of these "one-off" pieces coming, and I'm super excited for it. A Dynasonic-style in a filtertron shape/cover for the neck position in a Cabronita-type build.  Also, need to throw it out there that the p90 set that Josh spec'd out for me a few years back are my favourite p-90s ever. 

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone who ordered, please check your messages for USPS Priority tracking numbers! All sets are on the way to you NOW.

Speaking of which, there's 4 of each Shishkov humbucker set type left. A few of you have contacted me about single neck or bridge pickups and I've extended the HFC Supporting Member pricing with those too so if that's something you want, just to say it: get in touch!

I'm fully stocked with all the parts and ready to do my good work for you. ♥

Ugh... I wish I had an extra guitar to put one of your pickups into...

people, josh makes the best pickups. Any future guitar I own will have his pickups. They’re that good...

Had been emailing Josh for a couple of days about a neck pickup for my Les Paul. Replied to "go" today at 9 am, the pickup is damn near done this evening!  Shipping out Monday.

Getting a complement to my bridge Pearly Gates, one of the first ones. 

Thanks, Josh. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone! I hope y'all are staying healthy and are hanging in there. So, to update: there's 3 sets of each left with theShishkov Shlabotnik and Charlotte humbuckers. This HFC Special Pricing run moved pretty darn slow this time and I know why: you've all got 'em already! I don't blame you one single bit. If anyone's still wanting them, get in touch. $120 ea./$240 set with no covers. Add $30 for covers. +$8.50 shipping/tracking/insurance in the USA. Happy to ship elsewhere at actual cost.

So to mix things up - not only for You but for myself too - I had an idea to build some of the pickups that "we" just can't get New anymore and then to knock out some oddball rockers that no one else makes; to light up your guitars/amps and inspire the collective You. These are all ready to ship NOW. Pictures numbered and in order below.

1. Hamer/DiMarz 1st year Slammer reproduction. Black. Bridge, 50mm, 10.6k, roughcast A5 magnet, Hamer/DiMarz-correct brass frame, the same 42.5awg "in-between" coil wire - an authentic repro in every way. 4 Conductor output lead on this for maximum versatility. These 1st year measured resistance varied from 10.1k to 10.6k and I went with the latter wind spec because those are my favorites in a bridge position. $128.50, shipping included.

2. Hamer/DiMarz 1st year PAF reproduction. Ivory. This is a bonafide classic that nearly everyone loves. 50mm, 8.45k, roughcast A5 magnet, Hamer/DiMarz-correct brass frame, and the vintage-style braided pushback output lead wire on this just like the originals. I opted to go with the slightly hotter resistance spec wind on these because those are the ones that really rip! $128.50, shipping included.

3. SOLD! Shishkov Charlotte. Chrome cover, Bridge position. This pickup is a proven winner! I did this one with the vintage-style braided pushback output lead wire and a cover because this is what I prefer. A5, PAF-correct steels throughout, 10.9k-  a known, killer sounding humbucker that splits the difference between vintage and modern so nicely, works across all genres of music, and pretty much kicks ass. GONE.

4. Shishkov Shlabotnik. Ivory, Bridge position. A2 magnet, 50mm spacing, vintage-style braided pushback output lead wire, PAF-correct steels throughout, 8.7k - once again, a known and excellent vintage-esque bridge pickup. Excels at classic Gibson tones and sounds great across all genres. Alnico 2 with this wind spec ..you can't go wrong here, and I certainly didn't. Neither will you. $128.50, shipping included.

5. Shishkov Charlotte. Zebra, Neck position. A2 magnet, vintage-style braided pushback output lead wire, PAF-correct steels throughout, 7.7k and again: a known factor and killer sounding neck pickup. It's the kind of neck pickup that would make Gary Moore, Santana, and any guys that love singing neck position tones smile really big, but it's also
lively and clear for clean, dynamic jazz chordal and lead work. No flab, no stuffy congested mids here! $128.50, shipping included.

6. Charlotte Firebird! Wait, what? Yes!! Bridge position. Chrome. I've been working on this for months, finally got it "right" and am so pleased to present it to you. Because the internal build of a Firebird pickup is different in so many ways, to get a similar sound it took some playing around and experimentation but it was so worth it. Alnico 2, 11.4k, vintage-style braided pushback output lead wire.. this will bring the fire and tone to what can sometimes be an anemic and boring mini-humbucker bridge position. Delicious and most rocking! $128.50, shipping included.

7. Something new from me - The Super Delight! Black. Bridge position. 50mm, 13.3k, Alnico 5, vintage-style braided pushback output lead wire, PAF-correct steels throughout, and a huge lion-hearted pickup that absolutely rips in the bridge position. This one goes to 11 and I predict this will be my next Hamer loving Shishkov rocking player favorite. Incredibly friendly and face-melting with mid to high gain, cleans up sooo nice too. $128.50, shipping included.

8. I'm calling this one the Hollerin' Hellion. Bridge. B-Stock slightly scuffed = discounted price. 10.6k. Black, 50mm. Does it look like a pickup you've seen before? Hey, don't hate on me for it ..just using spare parts and having some fun making kick-ass pickups over here! Roughcast A5, 4 conductor output leads for maximum wiring hijinx, and a little bit of a hotter wind than that other "one". How's it sound? Imagine a hot PAF with the mids right where they need to be but also with some of the sparkle returned on the treble frequencies. It's a full-range, highly dynamic rocker bridge pickup. And yes, I did use that 42.5awg coil wire for this because that's how you get there for this pickup. $108.50, shipping included.

9. Gravelin Custom B-Stock. 14.6k, 53mm, Nickel cover, Alnico 5, vintage-style braided pushback output lead wire, and PAF-correct steels throughout. This Nickel cover came with some strange scuffs on it and I couldn't use it and sell as New so I thought to use it for this sweet, classic rocking machine. For hard rock and metal this is excellent! For Hamer guitars with Sustainblock bridges, for Strats or Teles that need a humbucker, for bridges with a slightly wider string spacing than the vintage Gibson type - this is for You. $108.50, shipping included.

10. Parts Unknown Refurb/Rewind. What do I call this? Mighty Mouse? Cap'n Crunch maybe? Anyway: 52.5mm, 13.6k, Alnico 5, double slugs, brass frame, and 4 conductor output leads. I have no idea where this came from or how I got it but after thinking on what to do with it I came to the conclusion that this would be a great contender for a Mighty Mite 1800 clone/rebuild - which is essentially a DiMarz Super Distortion but with Alnico 5 and double slug coils. As tested, it really cooks in the bridge position and because of the spacing it'll work in a bunch of your favorite guitars. Bobbins are scuffy but it's 100% new internally and will pretty much rock your face off on the cheap. $88.50, shipping included.

That's all I got for you right now. Please get in touch with any questions, to purchase any of these gems, for your custom build ideas, or to snatch up the last of the Schlabotnik and Charlotte set HFC Special Pricing deals. HFC

1 HSlammer50 RS2.JPG

2 HDPAF50 RS.JPG

3 CHAR B 492 RS.JPG

4 ULT50 RS.JPG

5 CHAR Neck.JPG

6 CHARFB.JPG

7 SuperDeLIGHT50.JPG

8Hollerin'Hellion50 BSTOCK.JPG

9 Custom53 BSTOCK.JPG

10 MM1800 Refurb52mm.JPG

Archived