Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NHD: 4 Digits, 8 Strings: I'm All About That Bass, ...

… 'bout that bass, no treble, I'm all about that bass …

And I'm not even a bass player! It's such big fun to play this fantastic instrument. Thanks to "filtre" for posting this PSA. Except from an annoying scratch near the controls it seemed to be in a decent condition, and after a few hours of TLC it looks like this:

As promised, here are some pics for your entertainment, and maybe some of you can provide a few more informations about this cool bass.

spacer.png

spacer.png

DSC_0225.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It came to me with its original case in like new condition, inside and outside!

spacer.png

spacer.png

13 hours ago, mrjamiam said:

Would we say that it's set up for fingerstyle playing, with the octave strings on top?

Yes, Sir.

13 hours ago, RobB said:

That's a beauty. Hamer's old nitro finishes age so nicely.

It didn't look like this when I got it. The finish was stained and dull. It took me a few hours to revive it. But all Hamer finishes are of such good quality that they can be restored almost always.

14 hours ago, boundandcrowned said:

It didn't look like this when I got it. The finish was stained and dull. It took me a few hours to revive it. But all Hamer finishes are of such good quality that they can be restored almost always.

That's a beauty. Hamer's old nitro finishes revive so nicely.

20 hours ago, topekatj said:

What do the switches do?

Good question. I'm still not quite sure. The switch with the LED activates the built-in preamp. The three way mini toggle has one position with the pickup working in passive mode and in middle position boosted by the preamp. The third position adds more treble and a bit more noise (coil split?) and even more loudness. Members being in the know may enlighten us. Calling "chromium"!?

Congrats - glad to see that one land with someone here!

2 hours ago, boundandcrowned said:

The switch with the LED activates the built-in preamp. The three way mini toggle has one position with the pickup working in passive mode and in middle position boosted by the preamp. The third position adds more treble and a bit more noise (coil split?) and even more loudness. Members being in the know may enlighten us. Calling "chromium"!?

The switch closest to the edge of the body is ganged (aka two switches in one). One half switches on power to the preamp via the 9v, and the other switches on power from the 2xAA battery pack to the flashing LED.

The inboard switch is a three position, providing three tone settings... but I have no idea what's happening "under the hood". The preamp itself is buried in a small plastic enclosure filled with epoxy, and consequently I can't really tell how the switching works.

I actually do have a loose/NOS preamp and have been tempted to give it an acetone bath to dissolve the epoxy potting and map out the circuit, but the other part of me wants to keep it intact. I'm sure it's something relatively simple- like the old BC Rich preamps.

Regardless of all that, they sound pretty freakin' awesome, don't they?! That config works really well with the X2Ns and Model Gs on the coursed string basses.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 2:31 PM, tommy p said:

You're right - that scratch near the controls makes it hideous!  I'll be happy to take it off your hands so you don't have to look at it anymore.

Thank you so much for being concerned about my well-being ;). I've already found a solution. I keep the case closed and look at this: it wears no scratch at all :ph34r:!

Another serious question: what do the Hamer-logs say about this particular instrument? "Serial"? Many thanks in advance.

On 2/19/2020 at 7:31 AM, tommy p said:

You're right - that scratch near the controls makes it hideous!  I'll be happy to take it off your hands so you don't have to look at it anymore.

28 minutes ago, boundandcrowned said:

Thank you so much for being concerned about my well-being ;). I've already found a solution. I keep the case closed and look at this: it wears no scratch at all :ph34r:!

THIS.  That's what cases are for, at least that's what I use mine for!  B)

Archived