Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Love for Lovepedals?

In the Gear2019 thread some of you praised the Lovepedal stuff. I thought my pedal hunting days were over, but the praises sounded impressive. So: Any reccomendation? Think about low to mid overdrive, classic/blues rock, no high gain, when talking OD...

Thanks.

oh - playing a Koch Twintone...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several that will do that. I like the Low Gain Mosferatu.  Or most of the Zens, Eternity COT. So many flavors. My advise would be to find $50.00 and pull up a chair at the next SNS myshopify sale.

Sign up for the newsletter at the bottom of this page https://lovepedalcustomeffects.myshopify.com/

Fair warning: They are a kinda like a Lay's potato chip.

P.S. @Montelovesco, I had forgotten that you are in Germany. Shipping to Europe is more than the $6 USPS special that LP gives us. So I would suggest that you dive in for 3 or 4 pedals.(if you get the $50 boners it's a heck of a good deal) They should all ship for the price of one. And you can tell your wife you "saved on shipping!"

I’ve a bunch of them, I prefer low-medium gain tones. Of all of them, my three favorites for this in order are the Black Glass OC42 BBB, the COT (hand-hand-wired white-foldy),  and the Vintage Modern. 

For medium/heavy gain classic rock tones in order I like the Eternity Burst (handwired), and tied are the Vintage Modern, and the OD11.

The Black Glass OC-42 BBB is out of this world great, but it is rare and hard to find. My favorite!

E585CAC3-0EE3-4E9E-8898-A078E4E8A455.jpeg

I bought a BBB in 2011 and as far as I'm concerned I don't really need another dirt box...  well, that's not true, the BBB and the Black Mamba Tchula... but yeah...

The BBB is a Rangemaster and a Fuzz Face in the same box with a blend knob between the two.  It seems to work well with everything.  The Tchula would be my choice if given a particularly clean amp like a Twin or a JC-120.  It's pretty much all the flavors of dirt in one box (low to the high-end-of-medium gain).

Then there's the only vibe pedal I've ever kept: the Vibronaut.  I love Uni-Vibe when someone else is using it.  When I'm using one I get fatigued with the one-trick-pony nature caused by the overarching throb.  The Vibronaut has individual controls for Low and High it can be tuned to very traditional or very subtle textures allowing very little  to tons of throb (something the Earthquaker "The Depths" promised with a literal "Throb" knob, but was another I kept for all of a day).  I really like the Vibronaut for a lot of different things where I would ordinarily have used some other modulation pedal - the Vibronaut does many of those things but differently and interestingly (oh, and of course it can "Bridge of Sighs" and "Machine Gun" with the best of them).

Generally speaking, I find the quality of build as well as quality of sound very good.  He has great ears, or at least ears very compatible with mine. 

I do find it annoying that his products lack proper description - what are the differences, for example, between the twenty different variations of Eternity?  Some are merely cosmetic, others sound-significant.  I find it annoying that I have to go to TGP and sift through nearly endless corksniffery attempting to discern what the different variations mean.  That is a mostly minor inconvenience.

The only pedal I ever bought that I did not like that much (initially, read on) was the Amp11.  I bought it, plugged it in a few times and put it back in the box with the thought I'd sell it next time I was listing items on Reverb.  Then Bubs starts going on and on (and on and on and on and on) about the Amp11.  Amp11 this.  Amp11 that.  I finally went to the box of boxes, pulled it out and plugged it in.  It's somewhat better than I remembered...   I do like the COT50 better than the overdrive (and that is what led me to buy the Tchula, which is two COT50s).

At any rate, do sign up for the newsletter.  The pedals are relatively inexpensive and there seems to be an established secondary market so any losses for trying one out seem to be minimal compared to most other brands.

Sean Michael does indeed have good ears like Velorush said. 
Lots of great choices given already. And all of them are great. 
I'll add something different..,the 200# of Gold. It is a double pedal. Side one is a Fuzz face running into a tube screamer so it is NOT Wooly and woofy. It cleans up like a FF to a sparkling clean and you can run clean to full on fuzz with all shades of OD and distortion in between.

Side two is a clean boost that interacts different with different amps. Into my tweeds clean it adds a touch of hair that is perfect for the old Chess sound. Other amps it is just a clean boost that stacks very well with side one or any other pedal.

The 200# sounds like 70s classic rock recordings in a box, if that makes any sense...at least when I play it...

OK one more....the Super Sic Tone has 3 tones via a switch. The top position sounds like Zep 1....some fuzz there for sure. The middle position sounds like a treble booster OD that is just right for light to medium OD. Bottom position is a thick Muffy like fuzz. I don’t use that one much. The SST works into clean or dirty amps.

Hard to stop...the 4K Brown Deluxe and the SRV Super Six are fabulous light ODs. The Black Deluxe pedal is great up to medium OD. 

I have obviously fallen deep in the Lovepedal rabbit hole. 

On 2/20/2020 at 2:04 PM, Montelovesco said:

In the Gear2019 thread some of you praised the Lovepedal stuff. I thought my pedal hunting days were over, but the praises sounded impressive. So: Any reccomendation? Think about low to mid overdrive, classic/blues rock, no high gain, when talking OD...

Thanks.

oh - playing a Koch Twintone...

OD11 or AMP11, start there and you will not be disappointed. I"m working on getting another OD11 to run two of them instead of a just running a boost into one. 

Lots of love out there for the Eternity Roadhouse as well. I have not tried one, but I have my eye on one. 

On 2/22/2020 at 7:38 PM, gtrdaddy said:

FIFY

Just the Roadhouse, I think i've tried enough of them to know where my target tone is. I ran my OD11 into my Amp!11 tonight and I must admit, I like the OD11 going into a COT more than I like the COT into the OD11. The tone stays brighter and less compressed. 

I bought one from @gtrdaddy, an eternity burst I believe.  I don't remember - I was just looking for a second boost for my board.  I have an EP Boost that I always keep on and an OCD.  I was actually just looking for a second boost for playing at home, but I ended up switching the OCD out.  I wanted something that was pretty transparent that I could use for a little more volume, compression, and sustain without screwing around with my tone too much, and it was just too perfect for that.  It also saved my ass the other night when I forget my footswitch for the BE-50.  Luckily, Dave set that amp up to switch between clean and the boosted second channel, so I was just in the lurch from some rhythm dirt.  I rarely use the clean channel to be honest because the dirt on that amp cleans up so nicely with just the volume knob on the guitar. 

Anyway, the Eternity Burst with the gain cranked up, the tone rolled up a bit more, and the volume backed off got me where I needed to go for rhythm dirt all night and really saved my ass.  

The OCD is still cool, but I just don't need the "amp in a box" thing all that often.  The Burst does great for making a lead channel sing a little bit more without changing what you already have going on.  Granted, I don't even remember exactly why I bought the OCD - I think maybe it was when I was in a metal band and using a Shiva and was worried about having enough gain.  I've always done all gain through the head and actually had no idea how people were running Tube Screamers in front of a JCM 800 back in the day other than that was a thing.  A Shiva with an EQ in the loop does Slayer-esque tones just fine, at least mine did, so I'm actually new to this world despite playing guitar for nearly three decades now.  

Maybe that is another plug for the Burst - I got exactly what I wanted in my head in about 10 seconds out of it.  It took longer to figure out which knob was which (they aren't marked) than it did to get what I needed after I did. 

On 2/22/2020 at 10:06 AM, Hfan said:

Just got my first an Amp 11. So far only got to test it with an old Twin Reverb. Nice tones. Hard to test the boost side. I’d be deaf. It’s strong for sure. 

The boost on Zero adds a bit of lift and compression. Having the Low Knob is awesome, I didn't think I would use it much, but I use it all the time. 

On 2/27/2020 at 11:01 AM, bubs_42 said:

My Elephant Man Stinger just died. POOF!! Wasn't my cup of tea, but I liked it better when it worked. 

Send it back to Sean for repair or replacement....he will make it right either way.

2 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Me and @gtrdaddy Are digging the AMP808. 
A lot.

Indeed! The AMP808, the Black Glass and Vintage Modern are my favs! The AMP 808 has a really sweet version of the COT on the right side. Honestly I haven’t played without the AMP808 plugged in for the past three weeks, it’s amazing!

Archived