Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Love for Lovepedals?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never been an 808 fan and have actually never played an actual TS....but this AMP808 is really, really good.

Really good.

On 3/6/2020 at 1:56 PM, bubs_42 said:

I may, but i'm not much of an 808 Fan. 

On 3/6/2020 at 5:14 PM, Jakeboy said:

I have never been an 808 fan and have actually never played an actual TS....but this AMP808 is really, really good.

Really good.

@bubs_42 Yo Buckaroo! Hey lookee here! I've never liked TS pedals. At best I liked their ability to push an amp without the TS gain in the sound. But if I'm being honest, I've loathed Tube Screamers over the years for making me buy them just to end up selling them. I read that Sean had a number of things about the TS design he did not like as well, and he said he eliminated the things he hated about a TS and made tonal corrections that were the things he wanted to hear in it, and the AMP808 is the result. I figured WTH, I've really liked most everything I've tried of his, so I snagged one. I still hate Tubescreamers, but I just love his Eternity Burst for its ability to do the TS "Clean push", and I love the AMP808 for the sound that I always thought a TS should be!  

Try one Shawn, you won't regret it.

It was a very very tough call on which overdrive was going on the first board build of 2020. The voice of the amp with the JMP sealed the deal and running it at 18 Volts tightened up the bottom end. It needed it if both sides were own, I had too much mush and didn't like it. I made the board from scratch with only one final touch to go. I have to get creative with morning an input jack so I can plug and unplug easy into the tuner. Turned out great and sounds great!

Quk8brgl.jpg

@bubs_42Thanks for the info on the effect of switching to 18V! I love my JMP11, but I've never actually played around with 18V on any of my capable pedals, mostly because I've liked the sound at 9V, and don't have any double cables for my Pedal Power2, so I always left it alone. Time to change that, and experience the full range my pedals are capable of!

1 hour ago, joshoowah said:

@bubs_42Thanks for the info on the effect of switching to 18V! I love my JMP11, but I've never actually played around with 18V on any of my capable pedals, mostly because I've liked the sound at 9V, and don't have any double cables for my Pedal Power2, so I always left it alone. Time to change that, and experience the full range my pedals are capable of!

It came down to how the pedal was reacting to the amp. I was satisfied when I played a tele but when I switched to an LP with relatively low wound PAF's it was too much on the bottom end and it would get mushy. When I stepped it up the 15v it was better and when I went the 18v it hit a sweet spot. I can grab my Tele, Special, LP and get the character of the guitar but keep the clarity I wanted to achieve. 

Board #2: I'm setting up for what I like in front of the Princeton. Echophonic Dealy - Conspiracy Theory - OD11- a reverb pedal. I have yet to decide which reverb to use. 

Board #3: Sex Drive - Gen5 Echo - Amp11-  maybe a Blue Wave Tremolo or a Chorus of some type. I love a chorus with a volume boost to accenting parts in a song. 

I still have my Saucy Box and other Way Huge pedals attached to my big board. I may break that down and make a small board out of them. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Who is using a Twin Sixty? 

I've got one. It took me a while to find a place for it but It is two Jokers in one box. I use it as 2 levels of boost, 1 for single coils, the other for humbuckers. It’s a great clean boost pedal. Transparent to my ears. IIRC it can be run 9, 12 or 18 volts.

Mouser has four center negative 18V wall warts @ various mA outputs.

I recently picked up the 1000mA model at $11.45 for that Russian IR DSP Speaker Simulator.

Special on two-day shipping!

https://www.mouser.com/Power/Power-Supplies/Plug-In-AC-Adapters/Wall-Mount-AC-Adapters/_/N-brwlvZ1yzvvqx?Keyword=triad+18v+wall+center+NEG&FS=True

Edited to add: The 18V wall wart measure 18.1V on my meter. Another 12V model measure 12.4V. Switching power supplies, so I suppose regulated?

Digging the a Blue Wave Bloom Trem pedal as I am writing a song for the AC Rev blues album we are tracking that is screaming for Trem.

I also have the Babyface Trem and it has 3 modes but the Blue Wa e got the nod with this one. The Bloom control is the key to the flexibility of this pedal...it functions as kind of a tone control. Very cool Trem indeed.

• 3 weeks later...

So, help me out here. AMP11 gave me fits until I plugged it in, in front of a Tone Press. I'm guessing TP has/is a buffer. Izat the secret? Even having it running relatively noise-free on regulated 9V.

Very different from the 820 circuit. Is it my imagination or is there a fukton of gain available?

Asking for a friend.

14 hours ago, JGale said:

So, help me out here. AMP11 gave me fits until I plugged it in, in front of a Tone Press. I'm guessing TP has/is a buffer. Izat the secret? Even having it running relatively noise-free on regulated 9V.

Very different from the 820 circuit. Is it my imagination or is there a fukton of gain available?

Asking for a friend.

FT of gain and level. I usually ran the volume just at or above 9 0'clock, same with the gain. If its in front of a clean amp, the drive may go to noon. Any noise you hear while moving the COT side is the pedal Biasing internally. I ran it behind a buffered circuit with no issues, the one thing you have to make sure is that the battery is completely wrapped and not touching anything, that will cause noise and issues. I would wrap the battery in a condom, and make sure your pickups are potted with sex wax. That is the only way to go. 

15 minutes ago, triodecr said:

Has anyone run a Super Sic Tone at 18V? I’ve inquired with Lovetone but not heard back yet. 

I’ve got the SST, the Rubber Chicken and the 60s Reverb and they’re all great. 

I don't have your answer, but apparently no one is hearing back from Lovepedal much recently.  Speculation is that it may be due to the shutdown orders in place in Michigan.

I have a Box of Awesome and a Babyface.  They're ok. The Babyface trem is on my board for the moment but probably not for long. The BofA is too noisy and too treble focused, both on the OD11 side and, especially the Kalamazoo. That's probably going on the block at some point soon. Well made kit but, evidently, not for me.

6 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

FT of gain and level. I usually ran the volume just at or above 9 0'clock, same with the gain. If its in front of a clean amp, the drive may go to noon. Any noise you hear while moving the COT side is the pedal Biasing internally. I ran it behind a buffered circuit with no issues, the one thing you have to make sure is that the battery is completely wrapped and not touching anything, that will cause noise and issues. I would wrap the battery in a condom, and make sure your pickups are potted with sex wax. That is the only way to go. 

I tried the compressor before the Amp11. It quashed quite a bit of the yum-yum dynamics out of the signal. Still looking for a schematic, but the lack of an input buffer on the LP might explain why it couples so well with the guitar electronics. I'm mostly interested in low gain situations so some research is indicated. Many long hours, instrument in hand, search, probing, ever widening kind of a hole, wait...wrong movie.

The parallel compressor immediately after seems to give some control over any harshness. It's a nice mix.

Alls I know is that a P90 Les Paul running through a Deja Vibe, a light bit of tremolo, verb, and analog delay into Channel 2 of a Friedman BE-50 Deluxe with the gain at noon and then boosted with one of those Lovepedal Eternity Boosts with volume dimed, the gain at maybe 9 o'clock, and the tone at noon is the tone I've been looking for since I was 18.  It's like Robin Trower or David Gilmour with a heavy dose of EVH dropped in.  I can shred, I can be all weird, I can just listen to feedback do things.  It's rad.  

I went from no boosts three years ago to having an OCD, Eternity Boost, and EP Boost all on the same board, and I actually use them all at different times. 

On 3/13/2020 at 1:15 PM, bubs_42 said:

It was a very very tough call on which overdrive was going on the first board build of 2020. The voice of the amp with the JMP sealed the deal and running it at 18 Volts tightened up the bottom end. It needed it if both sides were own, I had too much mush and didn't like it. I made the board from scratch with only one final touch to go. I have to get creative with morning an input jack so I can plug and unplug easy into the tuner. Turned out great and sounds great!

Quk8brgl.jpg

So I replaced the Power Supply and the Tuner, but opened Pandora's Box by creating space for another Pedal. So what would go good in front of the JMP? Most likely the Echophonic will move to where the tuner was placed. After I wrap this board up I can build the second board. 

On 4/27/2020 at 1:02 PM, mrjamiam said:

I don't have your answer, but apparently no one is hearing back from Lovepedal much recently.  Speculation is that it may be due to the shutdown orders in place in Michigan.

I know they had employees out sick in Feb. after the last SNS and it caused some delay in some shipments. Hopefully everyone is better and it’s just the lockdown orders. Everyone needs downtime every now and again. 

I haven’t heard back yet so I decided to give it a go. It operated fine for the 5 minutes or so that I was playing through it. It really is the fuzz for players who don’t like fuzz!

Archived