Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
hamerhead

Ever go backwards?

For the first few years after getting back to playing out (after a substantial break) I got a Boss GT-3 that I bought used and continually tweaked until I thought it sounded pretty decent. It was great - a simple 3 cord set-up, minimal adjusting, bulletproof reliability, and it sounded consistent night after night.

The next bright idea was to build a pedalboard, and swap countless pedals through the system while swapping countless dollars for common sense. It was/is a fun exercise and I learned a lot about not just finding the tone in my head, but getting it out into the world (whether it likes it or not).  I thought is sounded pretty decent.

But.....

I always wanted to have a stereo rig for gigging, but the thought of grunting 2 of everything to every gig really lacked appeal. Then MF had those tiny Quilter 45-watt boxes on sale and the thought of pairing them with the old GT-3 and a single stereo 2x12 cabinet made the whole stereo rig idea a real possibility. So I did that. And after trying it out at a jam, I think I'm back to using the GT-3 that had sat idle for the better part of the past 5 years. It'll take some tweaking, but for the size, weight, and ease-of-use, I think it sounds pretty decent.

Do you have any old gear that you rediscovered and put it back into rotation? Or do you do the smart thing and unload what you're not using? I am really surprised at how good this old Boss sounds...

• Like 4

That's not going backwards. More like a lateral evolution. You got dead ended on one branch so you bactracked the moved ahead down another branch. You're still going forward man!

• Like 7

I did when I went to a Gallion Krueger with no tubes... it was way smaller and lighter had good sounding effects all looked well....But...there was something missing! So I went back to my Mesa Boogie Mark llB. I’ve stayed with tube amps since! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dutchman said:

I did when I went to a Gallion Krueger with no tubes... it was way smaller and lighter had good sounding effects all looked well....But...there was something missing! So I went back to my Mesa Boogie Mark llB. I’ve stayed with tube amps since! 

This was me too around ‘99. With all the new modeling hitting the market I tried several modeling amps, a couple of Line 6 amps (that were not cheap!), wasn’t happy with them, they were a bit lackluster, then the best of the era that I played, was the top of the line VOX Valvetronix 120watt stereo head and 2x12 stereo cab. That rig actually sounded really nice and did a good job sounding really close to an actual tube amp. I kept that for seven years, but eventually found myself back with my old BF and Tweed Fenders, and my Laneys. 

• Like 2

It's not necessarily going backwards, but when I finally realized that I didn't need (and couldn't really fully use) 50+ watts of tube firepower for home use a few years back, I got rid of all my heavy gear and bought some 18-watt Marshall clones.  I haven't looked back since.  Even modern tube amps that live in the 4-6 watt range fill the bill for my needs, and I don't feel like I'm 'doing without'.  Smaller amps are also better for my hearing and for 'neighbor relations'.  :rolleyes: :lol:

• Like 3

When I grabbed a Hamer 12 string bass (long ago) someone here said the best way to amplify it was with big speakers and distant neighbors. That was about right.

Those days are pretty much passed for me.....Bass OR guitar....Anyone need a Mesa Road King with 120 watts in all its 4 x 6L6 and 2 x EL34 glory?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, django49 said:

Those days are pretty much passed for me.....Bass OR guitar....Anyone need a Mesa Road King with 120 watts in all its 110lbs of glory?

FIFY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are you talking about music gear or old girlfriends?

• Haha 1

It depends...I use whatever works for the particular situation, old or new, tube or SS, name brand or no-name.

For bedroom headphone practice, my fav is still this old Ibanez VA-3 (Virtual Amp).  It just produces some cool tones, I've tried other modelers and boxes but I still seem to keep plugging into that thing at the end of the day.  It's OLD...

For the cover band, I use my old Yamaha DG80 and DG100.  They were before their time in the modeling world, and I still think they are the best sounding, most convenient modeling amps for covering a wide range of songs and sounds.  I tried tube amps (need too many pedals), other modeling amps (LIne6, modeling boxes into power boxes), going direct...but with a DG and a midi foot control I can cover just about every recorded tone imaginable, with effects.  

At home, by myself, when I get the chance to make some noise and really enjoy just nice tone, I use two H&K Tubemeister 5's in stereo.  I put Bugle Boy tubes in the pre, NOS RCA's in the power, and a treble booster up front...that's when I'm, as Simon Cowell would say, "self indulgent"...

So yeah, in two out of three situations, I guess I've "gone backwards"....

• Like 1

Shawn, you are an artist, like a Pablo Picasso or Leonardo DiCaprio, but with words.

• Haha 4

Started with Arion pedals in the 80's Then a Zoom 1010 or something like that. Later a Digitech RP3 for years, followed by a Zoom G7ut1. For 2 years now or so I am back to pedals, but then I believe a lil better.  From a  PolyTune 3 into a Boss CE3 compressor, Digitech Bad Monkey, Wampler Paisley drive, Digitech Hot Rod, MXR Phase 90, Boss CH3 Chorus, Wampler Faux Spring reverb into a Wampler Etherial. Ehh not really backwards, but back to pedals:)