Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What is this? An amplifier for ants?

JGale

I've seen those, DGS has a used head and cab set (no affiliation) for a Grand.  Too expensive for my taste, seems to me to be not much more than a glorified Fender Tweed Champ, especially since the speaker cab still only uses an 8" speaker. <_<  

Edited to add:  Here's the latest version, with no chassis cab for that 'Hi-Fi' look, and apparently no accompanying speaker cab:

https://milkmansound.com/collections/amplifiers/products/hi-fi-5w-mini-amplifier-head

17 hours ago, crunchee said:

I've seen those, DGS has a used head and cab set (no affiliation) for a Grand.  Too expensive for my taste, seems to me to be not much more than a glorified Fender Tweed Champ, especially since the speaker cab still only uses an 8" speaker. <_<  

Edited to add:  Here's the latest version, with no chassis cab for that 'Hi-Fi' look, and apparently no accompanying speaker cab:

https://milkmansound.com/collections/amplifiers/products/hi-fi-5w-mini-amplifier-head

What a hose-job! :lol:

I have limited experience with Milkman, but came away very impressed.

FWIW, a lot of great music has been made on 5 watt amps. I have a bit more experience with the Swart "Champ equivalent" and found it great. (What, you want HEAD ROOM?) And even more so with the Swart Stereo that has TWO 5 watt amps in one chassis. IMO that will hold its own, quite well, with a much more powerful amp......I mean, what is a Deluxe Reverb, 18 watts? That Stereo would not be overpowered by a Deluxe.

1 hour ago, django49 said:

I have limited experience with Milkman, but came away very impressed.

FWIW, a lot of great music has been made on 5 watt amps. I have a bit more experience with the Swart "Champ equivalent" and found it great. (What, you want HEAD ROOM?) And even more so with the Swart Stereo that has TWO 5 watt amps in one chassis. IMO that will hold its own, quite well, with a much more powerful amp......I mean, what is a Deluxe Reverb, 18 watts? That Stereo would not be overpowered by a Deluxe.

Don't forget the rules regarding power vs. output:  doubling the power only results in an increase of 3 Db, provided everything's working the way it's supposed to:

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/217201737-Doubling-Power-vs-Doubling-Output

There's a lot of variables at work when determining the power and relative loudness of an amp, and one amp company may figure it differently than another amp company does.

BTW, the traditional power 'rating' of a Deluxe Reverb is 22 watts...but again, there's a lot of variables at work there.  YMMV.

22 hours ago, HAMERMAN said:

I don't want to hear your excuses. The amplifier has to be at least...….. three times bigger than this!

That would look very odd on such a cabinet. 😎

1 minute ago, Steve Haynie said:

That amp makes me think of those miniature furniture samples that were in stores decades ago.  You had a sample of the upholstery and a color combination without taking up a lot of space. 

And that analogy makes me visualize an image of a bloke gigging that little amp and an Erlewine Chiquita on a cramped stage in a tiny club.

4 hours ago, gorch said:

Actually, I find this amp much more interesting.

https://milkmansound.com/collections/amplifiers/products/the-amp

The Amp is very cool! Was really interested in it for the reverb and trem alone, then ended up getting a Flint. Then a Revv D20 for direct in/recording applications. But would totally have enjoyed one of those. I'm still looking at them :)

21 minutes ago, Sugartune said:

The Amp is very cool! Was really interested in it for the reverb and trem alone, then ended up getting a Flint. Then a Revv D20 for direct in/recording applications. But would totally have enjoyed one of those. I'm still looking at them :)

It really is a nice little device, with enough power for many casual situations. And there appear to be enough in the supply lines that decent discounts are available, if a person looks around a bit.

I am with you on the Flint and the added versatility (keeping in mind that is a $300 pedal, which is NOT discounted) but "The Amp" is worth consideration.

Just now, django49 said:

It really is a nice little device, with enough power for many casual situations. And there appear to be enough in the supply lines that decent discounts are available, if a person looks around a bit.

I am with you on the Flint and the added versatility (keeping in mind that is a $300 pedal, which is NOT discounted) but "The Amp" is worth consideration.

Certainly. They had been back-ordered for a while, and when not - full MAP. I will likely move the Flint and then put those coins towards The Amp. With the 100 watt version just released, there may be further dilution of the price of the original 50 watt version. 

Strangely enough (IMO) the more powerful version deletes the trem in favor of a switchable boost. For myself, I would prefer a separate boost pedal and use the 50 watt version.

I am not sure how much more useful a 100 watt power section (200 watts into a 4 ohm load) would be.

IIRC, I was able to get a 15% discount AND an added 10% gift card against future purchases.

10 minutes ago, django49 said:

Strangely enough (IMO) the more powerful version deletes the trem in favor of a switchable boost. For myself, I would prefer a separate boost pedal and use the 50 watt version.

I am not sure how much more useful a 100 watt power section (200 watts into a 4 ohm load) would be.

IIRC, I was able to get a 15% discount AND an added 10% gift card against future purchases.

Where was that discount with? I'm a bit more limited when it comes to those deals, being in Canada.

Archived