Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anybody here doing glitchy stuff?

Anyone on here doing glitchy looping stuff?  I'm thinking of getting some kind of a pedal in that realm but they're all really different from each other and hard to get a feel for online.  I'm looking at some stuff from people like Red Panda, Hologram Electronics, Chase Bliss, and HeXe.

Anyone on here doing any of that kind of thing?  Any standout pieces of gear you dig? 

I'm trying to convince myself I can do this just with the Echoplex Digital Pro, but so far it's not coming out like I'd like.

p.s.  Here's a few samples in case you've not heard these kinds of tracks before:

On 2/25/2020 at 1:24 PM, crunchee said:

As far as I can tell, I'm not hearing any guitar on those tracks, or it's really buried in the mix.  When somebody says 'glitchy' in a guitar context, I think of this, and it ain't subtle:

🤣  The examples I posted are definitely not guitar-centric, but give a feel for the kind of "glitchiness" I'm inspired by.

There’s software that degrades the track and sounds like a scratchy recording or old recording. I’ve used it on intros but I don’t remember what it’s called. That ZZ Top sounded like a fuzz pedal with an almost dead battery. I loved it, I’ve been using a Mini Bone fuzz clone that you can turn the voltage down and get really close to what they had going on there. Super fun pedal!!!

On 2/27/2020 at 2:46 PM, sixesandsevens said:

🤣  The examples I posted are definitely not guitar-centric, but give a feel for the kind of "glitchiness" I'm inspired by.

On 2/27/2020 at 2:48 PM, sixesandsevens said:

I'll have to dig into that one a little more.  I assumed it was just a run of the mill super delay box.  Zoia was on my short list though.  :D 

Oh yeah, Zoia, if you’re into all that customization. That’ll do everything.

But in the Echosystem, the reverse, and whisky, and stutter and freeze and ambient modes are all very “glitch” when you set them that way. Amazing sounding pedal, and the ability to run two settings simultaneously in either series or parallel (or left/right for that matter) make it even better.

On 2/29/2020 at 8:51 AM, Sugartune said:

Oh yeah, Zoia, if you’re into all that customization. That’ll do everything.

But in the Echosystem, the reverse, and whisky, and stutter and freeze and ambient modes are all very “glitch” when you set them that way. Amazing sounding pedal, and the ability to run two settings simultaneously in either series or parallel (or left/right for that matter) make it even better.

Nice!

So I pulled the trigger on ZOIA.  It just arrived today, so I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty excited after looking at some of the stuff on https://patchstorage.com/platform/zoia/

2 hours ago, sixesandsevens said:

Nice!

So I pulled the trigger on ZOIA.  It just arrived today, so I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty excited after looking at some of the stuff on https://patchstorage.com/platform/zoia/

Awesome! So much versatility in the ZOIA. You can make it do whatever you want. The patches that others have made is certainly an advantage. Curious to know your journey. May pick a ZOIA up down the road. 

12 hours ago, Sugartune said:

Awesome! So much versatility in the ZOIA. You can make it do whatever you want. The patches that others have made is certainly an advantage. Curious to know your journey. May pick a ZOIA up down the road. 

So far I've got the basics down for using it to wire together a mini pedalboard out of the effects modules.  Just being able to do multiple delays, reverbs, etc. in series is a lot of fun to start.  That took all of about five minutes of exploration.  Given that at one time things like the EQD Afterneath and Avalanche Run or even the HX Effects were in the running, this already feels like a win. 

Curiously, it's not clear how to make bypass switches for the things on the board right out of the box.  I'm sure you add a bypass switch as a button somehow, but I'm not sure how much I have to re-route things to get that working.  I think if all I wanted to do was make pedalboards, HX Effects is a better choice for control.  For example, when you yank an effect off the grid it doesn't automagically re-route to the outputs, even if it was a simple serial connection.  I imagine that could get old quick.  And while three footswitches is generous for a pedal, you could run out of those in a heartbeat.  :D 

The manual covers the basics of the box interface (how to connect things, how to use the grid) but the details about the modules is found on the website instead.  My short list of things I want to make are:

• a sample-and-hold style filter (the the EQD Spatial Delivery)
  • a micropitch effect like the Eventide PitchFactor has
  • a multi-osc synth of some sort
  • some kind of granular/glitch/CD-stutter effect (a la Logic Moon)
  • lastly, custom looping devices 

After that I expect it'll settle into using what I've made and waiting for inspiration to strike for another idea.

Subscribed to this thread to watch you play Guinea pig/lab rat with the Zoia. 😁

A buddy of mine is a really creative, out of the box style player, he does crazy stuff with an echosystem, but is considering a Zoia. Looking forward to your impressions. 

Archived