Hamer Fan Club Message Center

3 Bee Guitar Shows

currypowder

My buddies and I typically make a bi-annual trip to Arlington/Ft. Worth for the 3 Amigos Guitar Show. We're thinking it's time for a change of scenery.

Does anyone here have any experience with 3 Bee guitar shows? There's one in early November in Philly:

http://www.bee3vintage.com/Bee3Vintage_Fall_Philly_Great_American_Guitar_Show.html

Anyone here have any experience with this show or the sponsor? Also open to other suggestions for shows in the fall.

The Philly show is Bee 3's keystone event, much like Ft. Worth is the Amigos' key event; hey exhibit at each others' events, from what I can tell.

Gary's been promoting shows for a long time and has done well by treating exhibitors and the public well. 

2 minutes ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

The Philly show is Bee 3's keystone event, much like Ft. Worth is the Amigos' key event; hey exhibit at each others' events, from what I can tell.

Gary's been promoting shows for a long time and has done well by treating exhibitors and the public well. 

Thanks for the insight.

Been to the Bee 3 shows (Great American Guitar Show) at the Oaks Conventions Ctr many times but have found it to be slowly but perceptibly declining in both size (# of vendors and attendees) and quality. Or maybe it's because it's the same old shit every time. Tables upon tables of vintage stuff, most of it overpriced, a few indie builders, roaming baby boomers with carts and hard cases in tow, desperate for someone to buy their instruments or amps, some unique finds and the usual schlock of related merchandise.

If you dig vintage stuff, a few used goodies, it's not a bad 15 bucks spent.

I've gone home from a few of those visits with a new/used ax or a shit ton of strings but usually it's empty handed and disappointed.

27 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

Been to the Bee 3 shows (Great American Guitar Show) at the Oaks Conventions Ctr many times but have found it to be slowly but perceptibly declining in both size (# of vendors and attendees) and quality. Or maybe it's because it's the same old shit every time. Tables upon tables of vintage stuff, most of it overpriced, a few indie builders, roaming baby boomers with carts and hard cases in tow, desperate for someone to buy their instruments or amps, some unique finds and the usual schlock of related merchandise.

If you dig vintage stuff, a few used goodies, it's not a bad 15 bucks spent.

I've gone home from a few of those visits with a new/used ax or a shit ton of strings but usually it's empty handed and disappointed.

That's been our experience with the 3 Amigos show in TX. We're not necessarily looking for a super thriving show, just a change in venue. It's more about getting together with friends and looking at a bunch of guitars that none of us will probably ultimately buy.

43 minutes ago, currypowder said:

That's been our experience with the 3 Amigos show in TX. We're not necessarily looking for a super thriving show, just a change in venue. It's more about getting together with friends and looking at a bunch of guitars that none of us will probably ultimately buy.

Well, if you DO venture up this way, I live roughly 30 minutes from the Oaks Convention Ctr and have two guest rooms, a handful of really decent guitars, an affectionate 12 YO black Lab and some tequila on hand. HFCers are always welcome!  :D 

3 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

Well, if you DO venture up this way, I live roughly 30 minutes from the Oaks Convention Ctr and have two guest rooms, a handful of really decent guitars, an affectionate 12 YO black Lab and some tequila on hand. HFCers are always welcome!  :D 

Be careful what you offer!

Seriously, I'll let you know if we end up coming, it's always great to meet HFCers.

4 minutes ago, currypowder said:

Be careful what you offer!

Seriously, I'll let you know if we end up coming, it's always great to meet HFCers.

It's best to tank up on plenty of tequila before hearing me demo the Hamers or the other guit-fiddles. As Zappa aptly put it, "...a couple of quarts of beer would fix it so the intonation did not offend your ears."  ;)

19 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

It's best to tank up on plenty of tequila before hearing me demo the Hamers or the other guit-fiddles. As Zappa aptly put it, "...a couple of quarts of beer would fix it so the intonation did not offend your ears."  ;)

Well then, we'll fit right in!

The 3B shows were a lot of fun in the 90s, but guitar shows in general haven't had much interest in the last couple of decades.   Still worth stopping by if you're close/in the area, but I'd never again make a pilgrimage to one.

Im sure I will hit his Asheville show in mid march. Ive seen Gary hardball a few times. A guy was heming and hawing on a 54 tele while Gary was thumbing his stack of 100s behind the cautious buyer. Like a rap video for old white guys lol

I've been to the Bee3 show in Spartanburg every year for the past 25-ish years, until they moved it to NC in 2018. The shows were really good in the 90's-2000's, but the climate changed for the worse a little bit each year in my opinion... Not nearly as many deals, fewer parts, and less vintage stuff that you would consider buying. Also used to be tons of books and things, that vendor stopped coming to that show about 5 years earlier. It was still a good opportunity for a fun short trip with a couple buds until they were forced out of the venue and moved it.

I’ll hit up the Amigos Marin Civic show when I actually remember to go. Missed it this year, dicks didn’t sent me the promo postcard. 

Normally, it’s an 8min conversation with Fung and perusal of vintage Rics. Most I ever spent there was buying four straps from the super-hot, Moody Leather lady. Still use ‘em. 

12 hours ago, DaveH said:

I've been to the Bee3 show in Spartanburg every year for the past 25-ish years, until they moved it to NC in 2018. The shows were really good in the 90's-2000's, but the climate changed for the worse a little bit each year in my opinion... Not nearly as many deals, fewer parts, and less vintage stuff that you would consider buying. Also used to be tons of books and things, that vendor stopped coming to that show about 5 years earlier. It was still a good opportunity for a fun short trip with a couple buds until they were forced out of the venue and moved it.

Drive up the hill its not that far, I used to drive to Spartanburg. Its just now dawned on me that THIS is the Spartanburg show . Granted its really just a hang or a search for that missing pickguard lol 

Archived