Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Looking back at Andy Summers (and his Hamers)

Rich_S

I'm re-learning some old Police songs (and learning some I never learned before) to get ready for a not-quite-a-band project that I have coming up this spring.  To do a little background reading, I went digging last night for a couple Guitar Player mags that I saved years ago.  In doing so,  I also found an old Guitar World that I'd forgotten I had. I thought you guys might be interested in a couple of the pics that went with the articles.  For a Tele-dude, Andy sure was pushin' the Hamers back then.

VjFFrFN.jpg

UrsOJAj.jpg

Edit:  Ha! I just noticed that Special is fretless.

8 hours ago, crunchee said:

Summers wasn't the only one playing a Hamer in The Police:

Not the only fretless one!

Coincidence. I came to watch a Sting documentary the other day. Since followed music of the individual Police members. Summers went into Jazz while Copeland became a successful movie score composer. There is a German pre Police recording with all members composed by Eberhard Schoener that sounds really great. „Flashback“

4 hours ago, burningyen said:

From the Guitar Handbook:

AqGQwl1.jpg

I've seen that picture before, hence my reaction when I looked at the Guitar World cover.  "Hey, that's not the red Sunburst, it's a Special.  Wait... it's FRETLESS!"  It took me decades to notice this.

Police was such an influential band. The punk movent in the UK loved reggae music. I guess The Police came out from this scene. I always thought they were the whitest reggaeband on earth. Then I came to realize that Rush probably was way influenced by The Police on both Signals and Grace under Preassure, which are the whitest reggae albums ever made.

Archived