Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Indo Quality?

diablo175

I saw a suhhh-weeet looking Jackson last night that got me salivating. It checks all the right boxes, feature & spec -wise (except for the Ping Floyd 😑) but it's made in Indonesia. I've only ever owned one other Indo-made ax; a very nice Ibby JEM 77BFP. Yes, I flipped that in short order but I remember it as being rather playable and solidly fitted together. 

I'd be interested to hear any impressions on made-in-Indonesia guitars, good, bad and ugly. Wondering how the Indo-Jacksons stack up against the Mexi-Jacksons. Is it worth the grand price tag?

1 minute ago, diablo175 said:

I saw a suhhh-weeet looking Jackson last night that got me salivating. It checks all the right boxes, feature & spec -wise (except for the Ping Floyd 😑) but it's made in Indonesia. I've only ever owned one other Indo-made ax; a very nice Ibby JEM 77BFP. Yes, I flipped that in short order but I remember it as being rather playable and solidly fitted together. 

I'd be interested to hear any impressions on made-in-Indonesia guitars, good, bad and ugly. Wondering how the Indo-Jacksons stack up against the Mexi-Jacksons. Is it worth the grand price tag?

No experience with the newer import Jackson’s. Which model was it?  

For my money I’d got with the late 80’s early 90’s Japanese made Charvel toothpaste logo guitars. They made them so well Jackson put a stop to them because they were cutting into the USA sales...  I’ve had several of them over the years and they’re the tits...

1 minute ago, Travis said:

No experience with the newer import Jackson’s. Which model was it?  

For my money I’d got with the late 80’s early 90’s Japanese made Charvel toothpaste logo guitars. They made them so well Jackson put a stop to them because they were cutting into the USA sales...  I’ve had several of them over the years and they’re the tits...

Charvel didn't make anything very similar to this ;) 

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 5.46.31 PM.png

8 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

Charvel didn't make anything very similar to this ;) 

But of course you want that reverse headstock... 😜
and that toggle switch...

Just now, Travis said:

But of course you want that reverse headstock... 😜

And 24 frets and the toggle switch and the 2 H and the tone knob... :P

5 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

And 24 frets and the toggle switch and the 2 H and the tone knob... :P

Ooh...  you should find an old XTRR. Downsized Rhoads body, Reverse headstock, H/H and a toggle. But, alas it is only 22 frets. I mean, do you really NEED those extra 2 frets...?  Hell, tons of strat players do well with only 21...

6 minutes ago, Travis said:

Ooh...  you should find an old XTRR. Downsized Rhoads body, Reverse headstock, H/H and a toggle. But, alas it is only 22 frets. I mean, do you really NEED those extra 2 frets...?  Hell, tons of strat players do well with only 21...

You mean kinda like this one? Jackson CS RRXT.  This one had 24 frets but sounded like a nest of pissed off hornets. Worst sounding active pickup assignment I ever heard. Kinda wish I had kept it and swapped in some passive Gravelins but then, Gravelin's weren't around back then so far as I knew... ;)

RRXT.jpg

27 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

You mean kinda like this one? Jackson CS RRXT.  This one had 24 frets but sounded like a nest of pissed off hornets. Worst sounding active pickup assignment I ever heard. Kinda wish I had kept it and swapped in some passive Gravelins but then, Gravelin's weren't around back then so far as I knew... ;)

RRXT.jpg

Yes, like that one. What pickups are those, the active Seymour Duncan’s?  What were they called, the blackouts or something like that?

12 hours ago, Travis said:

Yes, like that one. What pickups are those, the active Seymour Duncan’s?  What were they called, the blackouts or something like that?

Yup. I had a set of Blackouts in a maple Cali Elite  (pictured here with the EMGs it came with) and it sounded awesome. But in that RRXT? Not so much.

DSCF1090.jpg

Indonesian guitars are fine, but if it's new, check for the fret ends being sharp, depending on where you saw it.  Also consider, the PRS SE line is made there, so I doubt they'd have them built somewhere that wasn't decent.  Cort manufactures them for PRS and Ibanez and others.  I have a Schecter Diamond series and a Hamer XT made in Indonesia and they play well.  Haven't tried a Jackson from Indonesia, but they may also be made in the same plant as PRS and a host of others. 

ETA: BTW, like the purple. 

Archived