Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Going to see Bonamassa next weekend. What to expect?

Pieman

40 minutes ago, Pieman said:

My brother got the company tix, so its a four brothers night out.   What to expect? 

I've seen some videos, but mostly the gear-related ones. Thanks in advance.

Ah, very cool!  Full report after, please. 

I think you should have a blast. He’s a fantastic player heavily influenced by Eric Johnson. No similarity in tone, but the way he works pentatonic scales is EJ all the way, I can only dream of having that level of talent. You could do a lot worse! Have a big time!

Joe is an outstanding blues-rock guitarist, you will enjoy him.  As important are the musicians touring with him. Reese Wynans, Anton Fig, Michael Rhodes. plus a couple horns.

You should enjoy the hell out of it, especially with brothers!! Oh yeah, the gear he uses!

2 hours ago, G Man said:

A technically perfect, soulless experience?

A little cruel but a pretty fair assessment. Lots of guitar playing but not much in the way of great songs.

Still, I totally admire his talent and work ethic, and friends who’ve met him say he’s a really nice guy. And the last time I saw him, the two women singing backup were stellar! 

Wish I’d had a chance to see BCC. I’ll bet I would have loved that.

I saw him a few years back... 5 years? He's a very talented player, and seems like a nice dude. The observation above from Kurt L about great playing on not so great songs rang true for me as the main thing I kept thinking and what I most remember about his playing was that I kept hearing Eric Johnson! YMMV. It's not really meant to be a put down just that at times it seemed too obvious, to me anyway. I hope you guys will have a great time though!

Its a very enjoyable show...especially for a guitar gear head.  Top musicianship all around.  The great Reese Wynans on keys.  Anton Fig on drums. A pair of killer Aussie backup singers.

Joe always has multiple 59-60 sunburst Les Pauls on the road...and its great to hear those cranked up loud in a concert venue.  There’s usually a 55 hardtail Stratocaster & a 51 NoCaster that sound fantastic as well.  
Have fun.

He’s the Gene Simmons of the Blooz.

If he were still in Black Country Communion, with Glenn Hughes, I'd go to see that in a heartbeat. Some damn fine stuff came of that union.

ETA - the keyboardist with his shirt off mighta been a tad unnecessary- LOL

Sadly, one of the problems with guitar players is that everyone is a target for everyone else’s preferences. Who has not been criticized?

Clapton stinks, Hendrix  was ok , Mayer is total shit Bonamassa meh, and it goes on and on. We all have our opinions, some more informed than others. Why so critical? If I could play 25% as good as those guys I'd be ecstatic

arniez

15 minutes ago, ArnieZ said:

Sadly, one of the problems with guitar players is that everyone is a target for everyone else’s preferences. Who has not been criticized?

Clapton stinks, Hendrix  was ok , Mayer is total shit Bonamassa meh, and it goes on and on. We all have our opinions, some more informed than others. Why so critical? If I could play 25% as good as those guys I'd be ecstatic

arniez

...and for the win!

8 hours ago, ArnieZ said:

arniez

Eh - I could have made that point...

Two women I work with went Friday and said it was amazing. They're not gearheads at all - he could been playing zither as far as they cared - so apparently he is a great entertainer.

I don’t get why people throw so much shade on this guy. I mean, I DO get it; It’s similar to what YJM is subjected to. What it comes down to is envy and childishness. I think it’s awesome JB is popular and making a good living in music. Why on earth would anyone hate on that?

Archived