Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Going to see Bonamassa next weekend. What to expect?

Pieman

More power to him.

The stuffed doll things are a little creepy though...

7 hours ago, polara said:

Two women I work with went Friday and said it was amazing. They're not gearheads at all - he could been playing zither as far as they cared - so apparently he is a great entertainer.

Indeed, it's simply not possible to play/fill the venues he plays/fills by bringing to town a traveling sausage fest that offers up no good songs. Those are the top two criticisms of JB that have no merit whatsoever.

2 hours ago, RobB said:

I don’t get why people throw so much shade on this guy. I mean, I DO get it; It’s similar to what YJM is subjected to. What it comes down to is envy and childishness. I think it’s awesome JB is popular and making a good living in music. Why on earth would anyone hate on that?

I remember the time he played for the "In Memoriam" at the RRHOF with Derek Trucks and Billy Gibbons for the passing of Freddie King.....Trucks and Gibbons played pieces fitting a Memorial in the spirit of the person being honored for his passing.  Bonamassa wanted to "show off" that he was good, spitting out a flurry of blues-shred wankery that had no place on stage.  Sure, Joe is a "nice guy", but....I've listened to his music and didn't find anything 'catchy' or memorable - I found a guy who clearly tries TOO hard to prove he's skilled at playing.

Saw him a couple years ago at Red Rocks. He was doing his Three Kings tour. Great show. The music was amazing from JB, to the rhythm section, to the horns. Backing singers were awesome. Well worth the 2000 mile trip.  I get the whole "technically perfect, soulless" thing but it isn't that at all IMHO. His reverence for what came before is very evident in his show. It was a bucket list experience and I see him whenever he's in range.

Went last night with my three brothers.  They reminded that 40 years ago I rewarded them for helping me move with tickets to see Atlanta Rhythm Section and Crack the Sky in just about the same seats.  Mezzanine level first row. Then I paid cash.  This time we had Fortune 500 corporate box seats.  Amazing that 75% of the c suite seats were unfilled although last night's show and tonight's is sold out.

Given some of the comments here and Joe's huckster reputation, it was way better than expected.  He can play for sure.  His best tones, I thought, came from a Firebird teamed with a Theramin and Telecaster, better than the LPs, the Strat and the 335.  Okay, so his song writing talents don't match his playing.  But if you enjoy/love/treasure BB ("Nobody Loves Me") or ZZTop ("Just Got Paid") or Zep ("Communications Breakdown"), this was for you.  All night long he pulled in styles and sometimes outright sections from the great American/Brit rock songbook.  He did it very well. He worked at. He enjoyed it and the audience enjoyed it.  I was shocked at the age of the crowd. Many, many 70+ fans (good for them), unless they were in the 60s and just haven't aged well or partied to much back when.

The backup band was stellar, absent Reese Wynans, who is off with Alllmans.  Anton Fig, the bass player and the keys guy really took it up a notch several times and it was a beautiful thing.   As I said, he worked hard.  And, if you have ever come back from a show where the artist(s) dumped on the audience, you would no be disappointed with Joe B.  I  wanted to see him last tour, but it was sold out.  Will go next time for sure, even if I have to buy the ticket.  I might even buy a coffee mug.

Wait...Crack The Sky in 1980 at the peak of their powers?

15 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Wait...Crack The Sky in 1980 at the peak of their powers?

Crack The Sky was awesome.  I think they closed the show with "I am the Walrus" with one guy in the band rolling an imaginary joint.  Another "why didn't they make it band."  From Pittsburgh?  Singing about Surf City?  For those who never heard them check this out.  The first part has a bit of Alex Harvey influence.

On 3/3/2020 at 12:42 PM, Never2Late said:

Bonamassa wanted to "show off" that he was good, spitting out a flurry of blues-shred wankery that had no place on stage. I found a guy who clearly tries TOO hard to prove he's skilled at playing.

That’s your perception, cool. Maybe you could email him and advise him on which notes to leave out?

On 3/3/2020 at 3:42 PM, Never2Late said:

Bonamassa wanted to "show off" that he was good, spitting out a flurry of blues-shred wankery that had no place on stage.  Sure, Joe is a "nice guy", but....I've listened to his music and didn't find anything 'catchy' or memorable - I found a guy who clearly tries TOO hard to prove he's skilled at playing.

3 hours ago, RobB said:

That’s your perception, cool. Maybe you could email him and advise him on which notes to leave out?

muhammad-ali-knock-out-hd-boxing-wallpap

I saw Joe a couple of years ago at Radio City  Music  Hall in New York City. He open with an acoustic set followed by an electric set. I enjoyed the show tremendously. I don’t go to a lot of shows but when I do it’s usually a guitar oriented performer.I wouldn’t hesitate to see him again. My wife is much more inclined towards exit or more vocal oriented loved the show as well.

arniez

Archived