Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Thin Line Between 'Relicing' And Wrecking

Saw this article on my Premier Guitar feed today and it got my interest:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/30098-the-diy-relic-jobfantasy-or-reality-Relic-Guitar-Gibson-ES-150?utm_source=Premier+Guitar&utm_campaign=792874c91c-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_02_28_07_59&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_93db14e670-792874c91c-66048837&goal=0_93db14e670-792874c91c-66048837&mc_cid=792874c91c&mc_eid=e9838febc6

I've long disliked 'Relic'd' guitars where the 'Relic'-er went way overboard, and I find examples that fit my concept of that fairly frequently on Reverb.  A little is OK, but some people go absolutely nuts with it, and the guitars end up looking 'abused' but not necessarily 'used'.  I'm lucky to have a guitar with a MJT Cabronita body that I bought pre-owned, where the body was relic'd, but not unreasonably so.  I've seen plenty of MJT bodies where IMO they were considerably overdone, but I dunno if that was because MJT wanted to do that, or because somebody paid MJT to do that.  Still, I can still kinda tell on mine (or at least suspect) that a good number of paint chips on it were likely inflicted by a Dremel tool.

I also recently bought a Fender MIM 'parts' Fretless Jazz Bass from DGS, where the neck came from a Fender Mexico Fretless Jazz Bass, and the body was a MIM Factory 'Relic'd' '60's Jazz Bass.  Thankfully, the satin-finish neck was stock and wasn't relic'd, and whoever put the two together was wise enough to not do that.  The body is Alder with a Factory 'Relic'd Nitrocelluose 3-color Sunburst finish, and IMO the relicing is OK, at least not overdone...but some scrapes on the edges looked like they were done with a heavy file or rasp, and some dings on the lower edges look like they were done repeatedly by the same narrow tool (maybe a small screwdriver?).  It looks to me like the relicing was all purposefully done in a Factory-approved pattern, as I've looked at photos online of other MIM Factory 'Relic'd' '60's Jazz Basses, and the 'wear'/'ding' patterns are pretty much exactly the same for all of them.  In a way it's all good, as I tend to avoid guitars with Alder bodies because they ding easily (but not as easily as Basswood or Paulownia); and since it's pre-'relic'd, I don't have to worry about that at all.  Still, I kinda wish Fender Mexico would do a 'VOS' or 'Closet Classic' version of this finish minus the dings and wear, as the Nitrocelluose finish is not only thin, but feels really nice...provided you don't have any 'relicing' in the way.  I remember that Fender Mexico did limited runs of 'Lacquered' finishes a few years ago minus any relicing, but unfortunately people snapped them up quick, so I don't know if that's the same or a similar finish.  Has anybody owned one of those 'Lacquered' MIM Fenders?

Anyway, back to the main topic: any thoughts on relicing in general, one way or the other?

I always took care of my guitars! They where and are important to me. Beating one up to look cool or buying one that was intentionally beat up seems like a really stupid idea to me. I know others will disagree.... like Pete Townsend!!

Generally hate relicing. But if the right guitar came up used, at a bargain price, I'd consider it. I see relicing as something that should decrease the price value, not increase. You want to beat up the guitar first, before you sell it, then deduct at least 50% of what it cost new. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

Tell that to the "rat rod" people.  They hot rod a car while making sure it has rust everywhere. 

29 minutes ago, shankyboy said:

Around here, they are called Rat Rods. 

You would not get 1/2 a mile around here before you are pulled over and cited. 

In my opinion, Relic'ing is cheating. Someone wants you to believe they have put in the time to wear their guitar out when in fact they are amateurs with a little money. Same thing for builders. They don't want to put the effort into a quality finish so their way out is to relic them. A guitar that is worn out from playing the shit out of it is a thing of beauty. 

If a guitar manufacturing employee accidentally puts a ding in a guitar on the assembly line the guitar can now be sold as "lightly reliced" for a higher price. 

I have seen some light relics that look authentic.  The best was an RS Guitarworks guitar that looked like it only had shrunken lacquer or maybe a fast temperature change.  There was no blatant wear.  That one really impressed me. 

3 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

You would not get 1/2 a mile around here before you pulled over and cited. 

I don't doubt it. They are a big thing here in Austin. They have a big, week long festival every April. 

The only "relic" I'd pay full price for is a replica of Clapton's "Fool" SG. Other than that pipe dream, a used-vintage instrument with natural wear is fine by me if it feels and sounds right, but I won't pay for factory damage.

I'm not a fan of relic guitars, but don't hate on 'em.

I've got some MJT bodies kicking around that are really cool, but I prefer the nitro checking to the fake-y assed wear and chips that some builders/finishers put on there.  My OCD would go into overdrive if I had to look at that every time I picked up that guitar.

Guess this would be my "RELIC"....................... long gone years ago and yes this was all honest wear done by me from tons of gigs.un7OFhp.jpg8GD6LCz.jpg3leuqqA.jpgln5zA6i.jpgz7bKvEu.jpgXZINQez.jpg Early Fender USA 62 Reissue Fender Stratocaster in CAR

I do like this one, it was on TGP for sale here a while ago..........................some may disagree but I think it looks pretty cool and it IS a "RELIC".............but NOT a FENDER.1XSQO3p.jpgrOWTXlG.jpgkTYUvHX.jpgTk4J1TD.jpgx37qwOV.jpgZKFQGbM.jpgRa2KMw6.jpgpcAYjHN.jpg

Then of course there was this old and well worn L-5S I owned a while back, this IS all real wear!.................TrPSPUF.jpgBAlHME0.jpgDktugmX.jpgYqjkIFJ.jpg7P6n4Ft.jpgV8DQE9D.jpg

4 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Tell that to the "rat rod" people.  They hot rod a car while making sure it has rust everywhere. 

They even go as far as to matte-clearcoat the rusty patina in order to preserve it. We have an automotive restoration program at my institution, so I've seen how it's done. Pretty meticulous attention to detail, rust and all. 

6 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

I've seen them in some of the local car shows.

Why ask why?

1 hour ago, gtrdaddy said:

That's the ugliest effin' Tele I've ever seen in my entire life.

And the price! Geez you have got to be kidding me?:blink:

Archived