Hamer Fan Club Message Center

"Thick" neck specials.

Is there such a thing? Lots of descriptions of for sale specials seem to often say "thin, thin but not to thin...etc"

I'm still in the market, but seems that thinny necks rule the special roost. Also seems like a lot of 93's out there.

The Kiz Senior!  "There can be only one!"

spacer.png

Well, actually there are two, but the other one was delivered with an unsanctioned pickguard and Kiz found that to be an abomination... 

It's a 2003 Vintage Orange CO placed by Kiz with Hamerhead bridge.  The other one (the first one) has a tort pickguard - the last time I saw it BCR Greg had it for sale.  

There may be others, but I just had to throw the "Highlander" quote in there.  🙄

Edited to add: the Kiz Senior has a vintage carve neck - And, by the way, it's real ...and it's spectacular 

31 minutes ago, velorush said:

...the other one was delivered with an unsanctioned pickguard and Kiz found that to be an abomination...

True story.  

58 minutes ago, velorush said:

Doesn't the spruced-topped, ebony-boarded Special have a larger neck?  Was that a Burningyen CO?

spacer.png

Yes, big neck. Not a @burningyen, a @butcher.

Not unlike Senior, the Spruceburst was not built to the customer's specifications, so it was rejected. 

14 hours ago, mrjamiam said:

WTF?  Not only was Hamer saying "No" to custom order requests, they were saying "Yes" and then changing the deal?

I ordered 3 custom Hamers; two of the three were built not according to my specifications and a replacement was made. 
You can add the Spruceburst to that list (although I didn't order it).

Dug up a photo of the first Special (sporting the unsanctioned pickguard) they shipped to BCR (deepest apologies to Kiz: avert your eyes!)

spacer.png 

4 hours ago, velorush said:

Dug up a photo of the first Special (sporting the unsanctioned pickguard) they shipped to BCR (deepest apologies to Kiz: avert your eyes!)

spacer.png 

What the fuck were they thinking?!

From seeing both sides of MANY custom order transactions, suffice it to say, there is plenty of blame for poor communication going UP to Hamer, and probably more than what came DOWN from Hamer, although both existed.

6 hours ago, velorush said:

spacer.png 

No problem!  You could fix that with a small phillips, a couple toothpicks, some yellow glue, and a red Sharpie.

7 hours ago, velorush said:

spacer.png 

I don’t know, I kinda like the pickguard...

2 hours ago, Rich_S said:

No problem!  You could fix that with a small phillips, a couple toothpicks, some yellow glue, and a red Sharpie.

Uh....is that you.... Brent?!!

😆

5 hours ago, grooveman1961 said:

I wonder what's under the pick guard. It's the big pickups that ruined it anyway. Just sayin. 

What would you expect a Special to have in it?

1 hour ago, Biz Prof said:

Uh....is that you.... Brent?!!

😆

Nah.  He'd be re-logoing a Korean import with a "USA" decal, selling it at a 400% markup two days after snagging it with a sob story, and saying something disgusting that he wants to do to his daughter's brownie leader.

9 minutes ago, grooveman1961 said:

A p90 or variant thereof. Of course.

Umm, no.  These guitars were "revivals" of the Hamer Sustain Block Specials and Sunbursts, which had humbuckers.  

7 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Umm, no.  These guitars were "revivals" of the Hamer Sustain Block Specials and Sunbursts, which had humbuckers.  

The specials in this thread or specials in general? At any rate, preference is an opinion, and I prefer the soap bar size look.

Archived