Hamer Fan Club Message Center

"Thick" neck specials.

1 minute ago, grooveman1961 said:

The specials in this thread or specials in general? At any rate, preferance is an opinion, and I prefer the soap bar size look.

The Special about which you were commenting. Your "preferance" is hardly pertinent in its regard.

2 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Umm, no.  These guitars were "revivals" of the Hamer Sustain Block Specials and Sunbursts, which had humbuckers.  

When I bought mine in "TV Blonde" in '93, the old salts who really knew Hamer called the reboots "P90 Specials."  I certainly recalled the early '80s bucker-equipped Specials, so the "P90" portion of the moniker stuck like glue with me. 

1 minute ago, Biz Prof said:

When I bought mine in "TV Blonde" in '93, the old salts who really knew Hamer called the reboots "P90 Specials."

Yes.  That's what we call the Specials with P-90s in them.

The P-90 Specials popped up in 1992.  The big difference between them and the earlier Specials was not the pickup, but the bridge.  The new version had the T.O.M. bridge and tailpiece.  You could order the new Special with humbuckers, but the Duncan P-90 version is what was going to the stores most of the time.  Humbuckers are far less common. 

Around that time the Sunburst had become a carved top guitar with a T.O.M. bridge and tailpiece.  It was later renamed the Studio. 

Archived