Hamer Fan Club Message Center

To all in Nashville hope you are well

Just talking with my Son, sounds like they’re still assessing damage but daylight will help. Sounded like east Nashville got hit hardest!  

Heard from a friend in N'Vegas earlier.  He's safe, but his neighborhood is a wreck.  Sounds like it was really bad...

The Nashville TV stations have been doing a lot of live coverage about the tornado(es) for most of the day, and WKRN Channel 2 (the ABC TV affiliate in Nashville) is still doing live coverage right now...I don't think they've let up at all except for short breaks.  There's power outages still in the area, too.

Brian Setzer's daughter's home was destroyed, but she is fine.

A former bandmate lives there now and was on the local news here. Apparently the place she just moved out of was leveled. For the time of day and all the damage, I'm surprised more weren't hurt.

56 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

I don’t recall Nashville having such weather issues, is this normal there?

The Southeast is prone to tornadoes.  They usually are not as spectacular as those in the middle of the USA where the land is flatter. 

6 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

Here, not much. There was an F minus zero tornado 6 years ago that was a jumper, leaper. Barely touching with no real damage.

We do get in some nice tasty storms though, observing from our porch, just north of us.

We did take treezilla out this year in fear of it falling on the house ( 100ft + tall, 48" round pine in front yard)

The closest big twister was years ago taking out downtown Clarksville.

With the recent consistent chaos weather we are experiencing in our life time, I am not surprised.

On 3/4/2020 at 6:18 AM, Studio Custom said:

They had an F3 go smack through downtown in 1998.  I'll post video below.  

They don't hit Nashville as often as just down the road.  I lived in Murfreesboro from 2000-2004, about 25 miles south of Nashville, and I feel like the Walter Hill area north of town got hit all the time.  I think it has something to do with how deep Nashville is in the Nashville Basin.  Traveling north out of Murfreesboro into Nashville, you can see it - at least if your roommate in college was majoring in cartography and pointed the same damn ridge out every time you went to Antioch.  Murfreesboro is on the edge and gets hit far more often it seems.  For as often as Middle Tennessee gets hit, Nashville seems to get them much less frequently, which probably has something to do with all of that. 

I remember one hitting up there one night and calling my drummer who lived in the neighborhood the news said was hit to see if he made it. He said he thought he heard something while he was playing Playstation, went out front to see if anything was damaged, and discovered that starting with the next door neighbor's house that his street was basically gone.  

His power never even went out.  Stuff like this is why I think southerners are just a little different.  

I was sitting in a classroom at Vanderbilt when that ^^^ hit.  The roar was incredible. 

It was the last session on the last day of the TBA Banking School, so right after the tornado we headed to the Vanderbilt Plaza to retrieve our belongings and check out with no electricity.  The VP staff were pros and were handing out snacks and water to anyone that wanted it.  Next came the drive west to get out of Nashville - that took a while. 

A friend was on one of the upper floors of the First American tower,  When it was over there were windows missing.

Amazing no more people were hurt in that one as downtown was absolutely ground zero.  

6 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Does anyone know if tobereeno was affected by the tornadoes?

He said that it didn't hit his place but did hit the freeway onramp near him making travel more difficult now. 

9 hours ago, stobro said:

With the exception of the far northern regions and deep in the Appalachians, anywhere east of the Rockies is tornado country.

And part of the reason for the lower relative frequency in those areas and the west is likely correlated with lower population density.  The database isn't omniscient, it's based on reports.  Same factor contributes to the rise in numbers from 1950 to present - better observation and reporting.

I grew up in middle Tennessee (not Central Tennessee, Facebook!) and they certainly have been a fact of life.  Now I'm in north Alabama where we see even more, but as in many other respects thank goodness we're not in Mississippi, where they get the most.

In West Tennessee we marvel at the pummeling Arkansas receives on a regular basis. The systems seem to ease up significantly when they cross the Mississippi River. Dyersburg (and surrounding area just over the river) gets a good bit of residual, but for the most part storms in our latitude wane after crossing the river.

A hundred miles south of us (i.e., mrjamiam latitude), it's a completely different (opposite) story. Weird.

Archived