Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Pedal board power supplies

I’m looking at the Walrus Phoenix power supply.  Putting together a board with many pedals.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this power supply?

Thanks

Paul

I had an AETOS for a few years. It was fine for Boss/MXR-type boxes.

Not familiar with the Phoenix, unfortunately. One thing you may want to look at is the actual power draw of your pedals vs. what the Walrus supply handles. On my big board, I opted for the VoodooLabs Mondo to all of the varied voltages(9/12/18v) of my pedals.

I run a couple VooDoo Lab power sources on my bigger board, and a T-Rex Fuel Tank on my smaller bass gig board.

Not familiar with the Walrus units though.

I stumbled on this guy on Reverb. He builds power supplies and switches and stuff.  I bought a supply to power HX stomp and another item.  No power doubling adapter nonsense for the stomp.  And he has quirky art on them, which is a plus in my book.  Pricing is pretty good too, for him hand building it.  This one has 13 power ports:  https://reverb.com/item/17494598-sweetfoot-supe-size-wave-totally-isolated-multi-volt-multi-current-power-supply-handmade-in-usa

Thank you all for the info and suggestions.  I’m going to take a look at the sweet foot power supply because I have a large number of pedals with various requirements and I will probably need 2 power supply boxes.   

Recommended : Voodoo Labs power supplies are hard to beat, and I am currently setting up a Truetone Power Supply for my current board. 

Ones that I would not recommend:

Voodoo Lab X4, I did not last, the small cord with the transformer hooked to it needed to be mounted and if you forgot it you are sunk.

Any of the MXR ISO Bricks: They pack the power supplies with the cables kinked at the end and the power supplies go bad there. ( 2 of them shorted on me. )

T Rex Fuel Tank Jr: Runs hot and I have had two with funky sounding outputs. I have to swap pedals to different inputs to reduce noise. I still have one here that I won't sell, because of these issues that I use to just try pedals. 

VooDoo Labs Pedal Power 2 on the big board and a Pedaltrain Volto on the mini board. Both work great but one of the outputs on the Voodoo Labs makes noise on the latest OCD pedal (V2). Just one, so it's a little odd.

5 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Ya, it sits in storage with his gear. LOL 

They’re actually pretty phenomenal. I used to use Voodoo. The G-Lab PB-1 is better with noise isolation and supplies 2000mw of PWR, and any output can provide 450 mw of power as long as any one bank doesn’t surpass 1000mw (two banks 4 outputs each).So you can run big power hogs on it. Also has recessed buttons to invert to inside pin (+) on two outputs so you don’t need a reversed cable. Runs 9V, 12V, 15V and 18V. 

https://glab.com.pl/product/pb-1/ 

1 hour ago, gtrdaddy said:

They’re actually pretty phenomenal. I used to use Voodoo. The G-Lab PB-1 is better with noise isolation and supplies 2000mw of PWR, and any output can provide 450 mw of power as long as any one bank doesn’t surpass 1000mw (two banks 4 outputs each).So you can run big power hogs on it. Also has recessed buttons to invert to inside pin (+) on two outputs so you don’t need a reversed cable. Runs 9V, 12V, 15V and 18V. 

https://glab.com.pl/product/pb-1/ 

Have you looked into the Truetone Power Supplies? 

https://truetone.com/cs12/

Even Pete Cornish (custom effects and pedal board-builder for David Gilmour, Eric Johnson, etc) recommends the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus.

Its really killer. All are isolated individually, unlike most others, and it also has a 3-prong for hard wired effects (like a Tube Driver!).

its $169 brand new. Only add-on would be a longer IEC cable, about $10 from monoprice.com. Solid choice.

Archived