Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD: Hamer Korina Artist

Just acquired this beauty from Guitar Center in Houston. The pickups have been upgraded to Lollar P90’s. I LOVE this guitar!

A579790A-BE5E-4929-ABDA-FC1DBD6727B6_zps

However, not a big fan of the sickly yellow Korina wood color, so I’m going to pack it up this weekend and ship it off to Lay’s Guitar Shop in Akron, Ohio, to get it finished in metallic ice blue (pic below).

D3B2704B-CB16-475B-B61B-A3E5C9CF6E8C_zps

They have done about 10 guitars for me, and most of their finishes have been better than the original. I’ll post pictures of the completed project once I get it back.

55 minutes ago, shankyboy said:

Please don't ruin a beautiful Korina Artist by doing that. 

Oh don’t worry, it will be a significant improvement (you know, the whole “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” thing...).

Actually, I had played one of these in a local shop here in Birmingham about 10 years ago, and I loved it then… But the only reason I didn’t get it was a because I was thoroughly put-off by yellow color of the wood and the clear finish. I’ve vowed that, if I ever had another opportunity, I would snag one and get it painted in a color that I really like. Thus, the rest of the story…

Also, I don’t really have any concerns about getting it repainted changing the tone, because Dan Shinn and the boys at Lay’s Guitar have done so many guitars for me, and it has never affected the tone response of any of the instruments in the past.

Hell yeah.  There are quite a few of them out there, and if you like korina, no need to be stuck with having it only finished in vintage amber.  It’s not like korina is the most beautiful looking wood out there.  Most any of my friends  and even some fellow guitar players that aren’t gear whores  that I’ve shown any natural finished korina guitars always give me a pretty indifferent response.   I showed a pic of a the korina standard to a coworker and he said “ that’s pretty plain, did they cut it out of a school desktop?”  

All that being said, I love the natural finished korina guitars myself. 

Hmm, seems like I've seen something on the Forum here about making changes on guitars for appearances' sake:  :rolleyes: ;)

This guitar isn't getting the 'relic'd' treatment (or is it?)...but still, for good or bad, the acid test will be in the resale value once it's modded/refinished.  Having non-original pickups isn't necessarily a bad thing (especially if they're Lollars), but a refin is a whole different can of worms.

I have a P90 Korina Artist with Lollars 50’s wound P90’s. It’s one of my favorite guitars and sounds awesome clean or dirty. I like the natural look but.... if I ever did anything to it I’d do the sunburst finish. There’s someone on this board that has one done like this and it is a thing of beauty!! It’s your guitar, so make it your’s. I like the blue you picked!!

Thanks, guys. I knew there would be some who would not be in favor of the refin, I certainly understand that.  But since yellow is probably my least favorite color in the entire spectrum, and I really, really like this guitar and don’t plan on ever parting with it, I think the metallic ice blue will do nicely.

The first finish coats to hit the body were clearcoats.  the color is in the middle coats.  The finish could be thinned down without stripping all the way to the wood then anything you want could be shot over it.  It is a very thin finish, though. 

Mine is jazzburst and I love that guitar!   Be sure to post pics after you have that guitar sprayed. You are gonna love it.

Oh, you might wanna talk to 0054 and take him up on his trade offer. That way you both get what you want.  

Maybe waffling a tidge on my color selection (metallic ice blue)...I walked by a pearl white Lexus today as I was heading into the gym and thought, “that would look killer on this guitar with the nickel hardware and black pickups and knobs...”

Something like this (without the gold accents, obviously):

446C07DA-4813-4548-9424-892B101608AA_zps

49 minutes ago, DaveH said:

B5E3FF38-D5A6-4A3A-BDAA-3794162646DD.jpeg

Don’t have the funds for the labor that would go into such an elaborate concoction, but thanks just the same 🙃

18 hours ago, clay49 said:

446C07DA-4813-4548-9424-892B101608AA_zps

Spoke with Dan Shinn yesterday, at Lay’s guitar shop, and I have decided to go with the pearl white finish. He said the white colors in urethane are some of the easiest to do and they always turn out beautifully.

I’ll be taking it apart and packing it up Sunday evening and will ship out on Monday. He said they had some openings and he would be able to go ahead and get started on it almost immediately, so I will post pictures once she’s back and ready for action.

Archived