Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Stray Cats

Setzer is GAWD.

One thing I DO miss about Los Angeles was the "well known" people you would run into when guitar trading. He knocked on our door one day (along with a super model level GF who about as thin as he was) to buy a guitar I was selling. That was a LONG time ago (late 80s) so we are all a lot older now......

Always fun to see another example of people with true talent.

PS....No Gretsch guitars were involved that day, 30 plus years ago.

For many folks, the first encounter with the Stray Cats was a video of them backing Dave Edmunds on a cover of "The Race Is On"...and I'm 94.7% sure it was pre-MTV, on HBO ("Video Jukebox" IIRC, between movies). Great song but the images of three skinny guys with lopsided quiffs in a two-and-a-half-piece band format probably elicited something like "What the hell is this?!?" from a lotta folks. Unforgettable.

As a NWOBHM Maiden-worshipping cultist during the early '80s, I still dug Setzer.  He was, and is, THAT good. A freak of nature, he is.

Fucker was, is, and always will be a guitar badass. He is the only guitarist I have seen hold their own and dare I say it,  best Jeff Beck. Watch zBeck’s Rock and Roll Party..,he and Setzer duel on 20 Flight Rock.

Archived